Shopping at HOYS

ROMANY 1959

Visit site
Well.. what can I say..it’s terrible, one hall, half the stands nothing to do with horses, no good tack, rug stands.. what on earth has happened to HOYS with trade stands, one stand holder told us fees have gone up a lot.. was pestered 5 times by charity stands wanting donations or subs...

Leam_Carrie

Visit site
Well.. what can I say..it’s terrible, one hall, half the stands nothing to do with horses, no good tack, rug stands.. what on earth has happened to HOYS with trade stands, one stand holder told us fees have gone up a lot.. was pestered 5 times by charity stands wanting donations or subs...

I was surprised how little there was when I went on Thursday. I could have gone to Townfields for a similar level of choice.

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Going to shows for shopping ended within the last 20 years I reckon. Venues/organisers get too greedy and with all the sponsor money they get plus rising ticket cost, you'd think they could offer small trades a better deal. I haven't looked into it but I wonder what the ticket sales have been like the last decade? Rewarding cruelty etc I mean who goes now?

miss_c

Visit site
I believe Snuggy Hoods said they would not be exhibiting at HOYS this year due to the rise in cost for trade stands... is this a sign of where these big shows are headed? You certainly do not get the deals and offers you used to now.

Asha

Visit site
The article states that priority is given to Horsebox stands ( cheaper price ) the costs have gone up and footfall gone down making it unviable for a lot of traders . I did consider going this year , but then saw the costs of the tickets and thought sod that . So will just watch what is on live stream . It’s such a shame , as I used to love going , but with lack of trade stands and inflated costs , I won’t be in a rush to go .

Cheshire Chestnut

Visit site
I went yesterday, have been going for many years and can honestly say the shopping this year has been the worst its ever been.

Like the OP said, just a handful of horse related stalls... the rest of them just a complete waste of time: eyebrow makeup stuff, a million pushy charity stalls, about 4 different massage stalls and some toy stall selling plastic kids toys for 5 times as much as you'd get them at Smyths.

The entertainment and show was good, Lorenzo was very good much to my surprise. Showjumping didn't disappoint, very exciting.

I do feel though that the show is slowly dying a death. A lot of the traders were (quite rightly) deflated and the whole shopping village lacked atmosphere and the buzz usually experienced at HOYS :(

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
This seems to happen with so many shows, the venue keep putting up the rates for having a stall until there is little chance of the retailer covering costs so retailers pull out. Why should the costs keep going up, the buyers have to pay to go in to shop which is ridiculous in any way. Would you go to Ikea, allow yourself to be charged £10 to park your car & then charged £12 to go into the shop & not have the £12 credited to you when you purchase something. It's crazy!!

Visit site
Grand Stand Media are raking the money in from showing competitors! Every single entry into a qualifier has a £11.50 HOYS levy added. X that by thousands and the showing supports the show jumping! It costs a fortune to enter once you have qualified and don't win enough prize money to cover beggar all! Yet the show jumpers walk away with thousands.

And yet people still go out week in, week out chasing that elusive golden ticket! But actually even then a lot of people have cut down on the number of qualifiers they are doing due to rising costs.

Grandstand Media are just money grabbing, they don't care about the people or the event so long as they get their money!

dogatemysalad

Visit site
I stopped going to the big shows a few years ago because it was no longer enjoyable. Being ripped off leaves a bad taste in your mouth. On the trade stands, I want to see new products related to horses and the great old, quality products at a good price, along with the chance of picking up a bargain.
It's easier to shop on line at home without the hot sweaty scrum. Queues, over priced junk food and car parking charges aren't worth putting up with just to see the show.
Smaller local shows are a better day out.

Louby

Visit site
Ive only been once, a couple of years ago, saved up and was so excited to have a spending spree but was really disappointed. I bought a rug I didnt need as I just needed to buy something and could have had my eyebrows done lol

holeymoley

Visit site
I went for the first time today. I really enjoyed it, stalls weren’t the worst but can’t compare it to what ‘has been’. I thought the Le Mieux stall and the Townfield Saddler’s were unfortunately close together! Was very tricky to get through. I would’ve liked a Thermatex rug though, unfortunately none of that there.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Come on guys........as long as you are under 15 years of age, the size of a whippet and love your designer riding gear and tack to have more bling than a Swarovski factory, you’ll be fine at HOYS....😜

LOL! Now I see where I'm going wrong. I'm too old, too fat and I don't want quite that many sparkles. ;) :p

AnotherNewbie

Visit site
I went yesterday and was surprised by how poor the shopping was. I don't have a horse to buy for, but I saw no decent discounts or offes anywhere. Half the hall seemed to be taken up with giant lorries and boxes....who goes to hoys for the day and impulsively buys a new lorry just because they are displaying them?! I didn't even notice the hoards of people you usually get that seem to have to buy a new whip then spend the day with it poking out a bag saying "look I've bought a new whip!"

dogatemysalad

Visit site
Come on guys........as long as you are under 15 years of age, the size of a whippet and love your designer riding gear and tack to have more bling than a Swarovski factory, you’ll be fine at HOYS....😜

So true, but even local saddlerys have been taken over by bling. Clothes, bridles and saddle cloths are covered in cheap plastic shiny bits and don't cater for anyone who has hit puberty.

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Hahaha! Brilliant.

Follysmum

Visit site
I do think YHl will be going the same way. My local tack store stopped going through ever increasing costs and loss of stock through theft. They now have an annual sale. Also there are less equestrian shops. We have lost 2 in my area this year alone.