Should cyclists be allowed to race on public roads?

Velcrobum

Visit site
Still nothing from the Organisers of the Triathlon. I wonder how long their "investigation" is going to take??????

jj_87

Visit site
Coming from a cycling family I can see both sides of the argument...
But I dont think they should be banned, I do feel notice should be given. And the events that aren't "races" e.g. charity rides, Sportive rides are often the worst as the individuals often have less bike handling skills/ awareness to others. Plus it turns into a race, we met a sportive in the car with riders the wrong side of the road etc.

Don't get me started on a rant about cyclists who don't wear helmets!!

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
It does sound like a fair response. The test will be to find if it's just lip service, or whether the competitors will change their mind set on race days - which I doubt.

There's a triathlon in Bala this coming weekend, in which the 39km cycle route is all on closed roads. IMHO this is how is should be done.

https://www.britishtriathlon.org/events/bala-standard-triathlon-2018_9722

luckyoldme

Visit site
Strava is a nightmare. Riders are so focused on times that they are oblivious to anything around them. I was coming out of ashington yesterday. I've always thought how brilliant the cycle lanes are round there. Despite having miles and miles of amazing lanes parallel to the road I past a road cyclist...flat out head down holding the traffic up. Arrogant prick.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Thanks for sharing that, TFF. I'm glad he was named and shamed as well as having his knuckles rapped.

Strava is a nightmare. Riders are so focused on times that they are oblivious to anything around them.
I fully agree with this. Riders can share their routes and times and many try to beat their mates' (or complete strangers') time on a route, even when they're cycling solo. It leads to very reckless behaviour.

onemoretime

Visit site
From me its a resounding "NO" to racing on public roads.

In my local town, the Tour of Britain is coming in September. Everything will stop. Potholes will be filled, traffic lights (temp ones, of which there are plenty right now!) will disappear miraculously, all the nasty dog poo which everyone grouses about will miraculously disappear. You'll see at least one copper on duty (unknown hitherto).

The cyclists will, we have been told "bring foot-fall to the town" and bring money in on the day from spectators. In other words, the arrogant gits will Shlt miracles and go so blimmin fast through the town that they'll disappear up their own backsides (hopefully).

well said and brilliant!

maisie06

Visit site
After seeing the video of the poor woman stuck in the middle of the cycle race the other day, I thought this was an interesting read. Cannot believe that it's legal for them to race on public roads!

https://theswamp.media/why-cycle-ra...5.1526664647.1529335932-1212773349.1529335932
Absolutley not.....why are they so special? We can't race cars or horses on public roads, cyclists are a damn nuisance and a menace around our way and any large groups on roads should not be allowed.

Nari

Visit site
"No officer, I wasn't speeding or driving dangerously in my car, I was just taking part in a time trial". Somehow I can't see it working for a motorist so why is it ok for a cyclist? A fine is better than nothing, but it isn't enough.

Hoof_Prints

Visit site
It's dangerous to any other type of traffic, it shouldn't be allowed unless the entire road is closed and a traffic diversion doesn't cause much disruption. Unfortunately , I don't think the UK road structure allows for that in many places!

fredflop

Visit site
They certainly shouldn’t be allowed to hold “proper” races on roads and any large club rides should have to publicise where their route is going to be