Should have been going to camp weekend plans

quiteniceforacob

Visit site
I can finally join in these threads! Bought my first horse in October and have self isolated twice, caught Covid, had our yard shut down, moved and then faced snow, so it feels like we’ve only started working together really! He’s much happier at this yard: bigger stable, bigger school and better surface. He’s also green (was a pet at his old home) and he’s my first horse after riding schools and a couple of shares.

Had a dressage clinic this morning at the new yard and it blew my mind. He sussed out our issues within 5 mins. Frankie looks like he holds himself well but isn’t engaging his core, so struggles with transitions and being forward. It sounds so simple saying it, but he had us working on a 20m circle, transitioning from extended to collected trot, then canter, then trot to walk etc., all with the aim of keeping his shape.

I usually flap when a transition goes badly but he just explained that I should correct him ASAP, so “ok, you fell out of that, here’s the trot I want”. It was so refreshing.

(Well done if you read all that...)

Accidental Eventer

Visit site
We did some conditioning work on Friday, first time in ages. The old fellow is feeling very well, and his fitness is about where is needs to be really. His muscle has improved heaps and he generally looks and feels great.
12729E80-0954-4307-836C-402615027A3E.jpeg
Saturday it got hot much faster than I expected so missed out on riding, then was busy when it cooled off. so didn't get anything done. Yesterday we jumped at home as final prep for our first few outings in the coming weeks. I popped the jumps up a bit and he felt great, though I just have to get the canter a bit better. I tend to want too much of a quiet canter, but the balance with this horse is not not rev him up to much because then you're opinions do not matter to him, and he is in control thanks very much!
8BB2B4B2-0587-4446-9054-2E2C669736DA.jpeg
It was my fault we got a rail and he told me as such. Sorry bud!

Alibear

Visit site
Two cracking rides on Amber on Saturday and Sunday morning one handed lope is back on the menu. Sunday at the end we ventured into the outdoor arena, and yes there's a lot of work to be done there but the weathers improving so it will come. I got the awesome news that I can pick Daisy up on Saturday coming :) Nicer problems to have is now I have to figure out how to ride 2 in a day. They're on full livery so no chores to fit in but can't be at the yard before 7:30am and I work 9-5:30 so I'm thinking my only option is to continue to ride Amber before work, then go over and ride Daisy afterwards? I'd love to know how others work it/fit it in. Daisy wouldn't normally need working every day but she's building her fitness up after having her foal and Amber is rising 5 and does really benefit from regular work and routine. That said neither really needs more than 30-45 mins per session as we don't do anything like eventing or endurance. Daisy's good to hack in company but not alone and Amber is not really hacking at all yet, again I need the weather and ground to improve for that as Daisy is better off road and Ambers not met traffic yet.

j1ffy

Visit site
Two cracking rides on Amber on Saturday and Sunday morning one handed lope is back on the menu. Sunday at the end we ventured into the outdoor arena, and yes there's a lot of work to be done there but the weathers improving so it will come. I got the awesome news that I can pick Daisy up on Saturday coming :) Nicer problems to have is now I have to figure out how to ride 2 in a day. They're on full livery so no chores to fit in but can't be at the yard before 7:30am and I work 9-5:30 so I'm thinking my only option is to continue to ride Amber before work, then go over and ride Daisy afterwards? I'd love to know how others work it/fit it in. Daisy wouldn't normally need working every day but she's building her fitness up after having her foal and Amber is rising 5 and does really benefit from regular work and routine. That said neither really needs more than 30-45 mins per session as we don't do anything like eventing or endurance. Daisy's good to hack in company but not alone and Amber is not really hacking at all yet, again I need the weather and ground to improve for that as Daisy is better off road and Ambers not met traffic yet.

That's exciting! I've not had two to ride for a while, but when I had two in full work (competing and fittening for a long distance ride) I found it better to ride both at the same time rather than have to do two trips to the yard. I'd do a lot of ride and lead on hacks, which might be handy for you, and either two schooling sessions or 1 x school and 1 x lunge / groundwork. If it's an option, maybe ask the yard to exercise them once a week as well to take the pressure off.

I'll have similar in summer with my youngster (Chilli) coming into work alongside Danny. Chilli won't need a lot as he's rising 4 but it will still be a juggle. Hopefully cricket and golf will be back so my OH has his own time-consuming hobbies to distract him (not that he ever complains but I feel bad being able to do my hobby while he's stuck with no sport).

ihatework

Visit site
5yo did his first session with skinnies and angles and was a very clever overgrown pony about it.

And then a decent amount of time was spent attempting to capture a completely ferel yearling in an open field. Mucho herding, cornering and a rather well time rugby tackle followed by a swift jab in the backside of sedation meant it finally got his balls removed, a wormer and his head slip changed!

Alibear

Visit site
Hopefully cricket and golf will be back so my OH has his own time-consuming hobbies to distract him (not that he ever complains but I feel bad being able to do my hobby while he's stuck with no sport).

Jiffy you are spot on with this, Hubby likes Clay Pigeon shooting which is all off at the moment, I really need him to be out doing that again and then I'll be fine to be out morning and evening. At the moment I feel bad that I can still enjoy part of my sport but he can't.

Wishfilly

Visit site
Not the weekend anymore, but it was so sunny today I was determined to ride after work! Went in the school because I was worried about losing the light and did a nice steady session, lots of transitions, half circles, working on getting Blue to work through from behind properly. We got some nice work which was interrupted every time he saw a horse come in.

Finished with a lovely balanced canter on both reins- which is a pretty minor achievement, but he couldn't really manage it when I bought him, and our work has been pretty inconsistent since Christmas!

Roxylola

Visit site
We hacked and hacked and hacked again this morning. We have 4 matching legs now, but in the interests of keeping them nice I'm trying something @Red-1 does - clipping a leg a day every day. So we are back to front legs now, and as I skimmed up the front left last night he "accidentally" crossed his right leg over in front and trod hard on my left foot. If I were a sensible person wearing sensible shoes I'd probably have a sore toe.
I'm not a sensible person and often wear trainers to do jobs so I have a zombie toenail. I honestly thought it was going to come off with my sock last night. I popped the huge blood blister behind it which relieved the throbbing but its blue and about 5mm longer than it was yesterday morning. It will likely come off with a soak soon but I'm ignoring it for now as its too sore to mess with ?

j1ffy

Visit site
RL - ouch!!!

Danny and I were both shattered on Sunday after our intensive Saturday lesson - my legs weren't working but it didn't matter as he was happy to plod along with his buddy Pocholo and required no steering :p Day off yesterday and I'll see how windy it is this evening before deciding whether to ride or lunge...

I'm feeling quite excited about the prospect of getting out competing again, fingers crossed we can do so from the end of March! We'd better get a bit fitter so we can do a night away and two lessons once we're allowed as well :D

Bernster

Visit site
It feels so odd to be thinking about planning horse outings again. Part of me is so institutionalised with lock down that I’m feeling a bit nervous about getting out again. And part of me can’t wait for an outing!

Lorry battery being fitted over the weekend and then fingers crossed I’ll give it a run out to make sure it’s still working! It’s got moss growing in the window and mould on the steering wheel so it needs a good old clean too. Yikes!

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
It feels so odd to be thinking about planning horse outings again. Part of me is so institutionalised with lock down that I’m feeling a bit nervous about getting out again. And part of me can’t wait for an outing!

Lorry battery being fitted over the weekend and then fingers crossed I’ll give it a run out to make sure it’s still working! It’s got moss growing in the window and mould on the steering wheel so it needs a good old clean too. Yikes!
I had to scrub mine inside and out last week as it went for its mot (passed, hurrah!) There was lots of green mould in there, so today I gave it a run to feed merchants, God I've missed trundling around in it!

racebuddy

Visit site
Excited to get out but apprehensive st the same time
How many times have we been told then back in lockdown again but postive thoughts , after having cystsis for a week my boy feeling well again but just took a while to settle , i have worked so much cant wait for 2 days off braved the wheather tonihjt too happy fitness hacking

Attachments

• DC87CD32-4AD6-4F30-9203-04DF7E03DF29.jpeg
    DC87CD32-4AD6-4F30-9203-04DF7E03DF29.jpeg
    37.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 8C2D9960-8527-4DEA-ACBF-01127C6E92C6.jpg
    8C2D9960-8527-4DEA-ACBF-01127C6E92C6.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 1

Wishfilly

Visit site
Excited to get out but apprehensive st the same time
How many times have we been told then back in lockdown again but postive thoughts , after having cystsis for a week my boy feeling well again but just took a while to settle , i have worked so much cant wait for 2 days off braved the wheather tonihjt too happy fitness hacking

This is a bit how I feel at the moment- as a teacher I feel like opening secondary schools fully might be the wrong choice, and that's going to prolong the pain for everyone.

But fingers crossed- I'd love to get out to something with my pony this year!

Pippity

Visit site
Squeezing in at the end of the week...

I'd recorded an online dressage test at the weekend but wasn't pleased with it, so had another crack last night while my instructor was there.

Blue absolutely nailed it. Only a few months ago, she couldn't even manage to walk down the long side of the school without falling in, and here she is staying reasonably straight in a free walk on a long rein. From having no steering in trot, she trotted a change of rein across the diagonal then a tight turn to go up the centre line.

I'm so proud of her - and she definitely knew she'd done well! One of her annoying/adorable habits is that, when she thinks she really DESERVES a treat, she lifts each of her legs in turn. (A holdover from clicker training her to have her feet handled.) She's never done it under saddle before but last night, she did!

I'll be astonished if we score much above 50%, but she deserves her red rosette. (We're winning. We're the only entry in the class.)

Roxylola

Visit site
Oh well done Blue. Who cares about the mark when she's come so far.
On a positive note, she should be easy to teach piaffe - she's half way there already ?