Should I buy 16yr old TB?

Sophie1990

Visit site
I am just looking for a little bit of advice on a horse I went to view and fell in love with! He is gorgeous in every way but the down side is he is a 16 yr old TB, I know 16 isn't very old but he hunted for 8 years before. I am very tempted to go for it as he is a complete gentleman but should I be more worried about future vets bills?! :confused:

be positive

Visit site
If he is sound and passes a vetting now, there are likely to be a few issues arising at his age but they may not affect his ability to do whatever you want him for, he is going to be no different to buying any other horse, even young ones can go lame and cost a fortune.
Your main problem is getting full insurance cover and anything that shows up at vetting will be excluded.

I would not rule out a 16 year old, a livery was sold from my yard at 15 and he passed a 5 stage vetting with no exclusions, he had hunted for many years, so it depends on the horse, often if they get to this sort of age fully fit they are a better bet than a young one.

Sophie1990

Visit site
Thank you for your advice it makes a lot of sense, you can never guarantee anything! He is perfectly fit for what I want to do - local shows etc. I might not think about his age as as much of an issue now!

Parker79

Visit site
We have a number of older TB's in our yard that are used for hunting, they have all been managed correctly (i.e kept very fit on a careful routine!).

Why is he for sale, what are your plans, are you having him vetted?

Sorry for all the questions, I wouldn't rule out a 16yo TB after seeing the many successful hunter types in my yard but I would be getting a vetting done.

Sophie1990

Visit site
The owner is going back to college to do an access course and then to university so I asked if a full long term loan was poss due to his age and current climate and she said yes but wouldn't be able to take him back financially or time wise for a long time so I may buy him for a small amount to make it official.

My plans are just having fun really, fun rides local shows, hacking and lessons. He would be my step up horse from my current one. I don't want to sound stupid but I might not get him vetted as having him on a trial before hand, maybe after that though?

Would you be able to tell me the routine yours follow to keep them fit and sound so if I do take him on I have some good tips? Thank you!

Starbucks

Visit site
I kinda feel sorry for him for saying this - but no, I wouldn't. Especially as it sounds like he's had a hard life.

be positive

Visit site
A trial is a great idea then buying for a lowish price sounds like the owner is trying to do the right thing rather than just getting rid and getting as much money as they can.
I would get a vetting done before taking it on trial for several reasons, there may be something wrong that you cannot see, the owner may have no idea either, eyes and heart being the main things that are impossible unless you are a vet. I would probably just 2 stage and take out insurance.
If you have a trial you will become attached if something then shows up you will be devastated if it is serious and needs expensive treatment or worse.
Details need to be in place before you take the horse then you can make plans in the knowledge that all is well.

Getting and keeping an older horse fit and sound, routine and regular sensible exercise, build up the muscles, be a bit more careful if the ground gets hard but mainly be sensible good food, keep it warm in bad weather and enjoy your riding:D

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Its the best time of the year to see him really - if he has come out of winter without looking to skinny/old then its good news! A month's trial is another good thing - you can get a good feel of him then.. If you're not having him vetted (and I probably wouldn't either if he is dirt cheap) perhaps get your vet out to do his teeth or something during that month and see what they think, or have a few different instructors give their opinion..

Sophie1990

Visit site
The owner does seem very genuine and I think she could see that me and him got on well and just wants him to be happy, yes I see your point, I was searching on Google about vetting older/low value horses, and some opinions on forums were its pointless to do so. Would you always suggest it? Thank you!

Sophie1990

Visit site
Its the best time of the year to see him really - if he has come out of winter without looking to skinny/old then its good news! A month's trial is another good thing - you can get a good feel of him then.. If you're not having him vetted (and I probably wouldn't either if he is dirt cheap) perhaps get your vet out to do his teeth or something during that month and see what they think, or have a few different instructors give their opinion..

He is a lovely weight considering his age and the fact he's a TB, obviously I will have to work on keeping his weight on as he is a TB but that's fine! Yes that's what my thinking sort of was, having teeth or something looked at might be a good option as he is going to be v cheap!

be positive

Visit site
What I do and what I suggest other people do are rather different, I never vet anything but that is my risk they are not my one and only horse, I buy one or two to sell on, although some stay rather a long while:D

The difference being that I have my own land so if something goes wrong they can stay without costing too much financially and if bought to bring on and sell I am less attached to them to some extent so not so hard to see them out in the field doing nothing for a while. I still have others to ride and enjoy in the meantime. I would be unlikely to buy a 16 year old because I get more out of bringing on youngsters.

ladyt25

Visit site
If you know enough about him and his history then consider whether you need a vetting or not to be honest. If you don't know him then maybe for your own peace of mind a vetting may be worthwhile but then, if you have him on a trial first then there's little point vetting in my mind.

For the record, my horse is 21 thsi year and I've had him since a 4 yo. He BSJA'd since 4 to a fairly decent level, and basically has not really stopped in the whole time I've had him. It's probably only in th last couple of years he's not been competed as much but that's not to do with his health or soundness, just me, time and money restraints. He competed at the RC horse trials champs down in Warks when he was 18 and absolutely loved it.

If this horse is everything you want then i would say gor for it. If he was 12 would you be asking. In fact even if he was 14? My pony is 26 now and is still ridden And is still full of it. You could have years riding him left yet. Buying any horse is a risk to be honest as even the youngest, fittest horse that sails through a 5 stage vetting can go lame, get ill so you just never know. My theory is if they've made it to 16 without having been off lame or sick then you're probably on to a good thing!!!

rockysmum

Visit site
I wouldn't mind an older horse either, my 22 year old is going strong and I only retired my 36 year old completely this winter, and then because he lost weight not unsoundness.

The 4 year old I bought has cost far more in vets bills and time off. But then its a warmblood :D :D and the others are cobs.

I wouldn't bother with a vetting either, but I would get our vet to check him out, if your vet does zone visits without callout fees its not very expensive.

McNally

Visit site
A lot of people say vetting a cheap horse is pointless. People were amazed and quite sarcastic! That I vetted mine at £950. I think the way you need to look at it is if you buy a very expensive horse and something gos wrong tbh it's going to cost the same in money time effort and heart brake as the same issue in a cheap horse? If I was buying I'd vet

be positive

Visit site
A lot of people say vetting a cheap horse is pointless. People were amazed and quite sarcastic! That I vetted mine at £950. I think the way you need to look at it is if you buy a very expensive horse and something gos wrong tbh it's going to cost the same in money time effort and heart brake as the same issue in a cheap horse? If I was buying I'd vet

This was my point really, it can still go wrong and costs the same to fix whether it was cheap or not, the horse has no idea of its value and unless you are prepared to take the risk, as I am, or very experienced to pick up on things before they go wrong and do plenty of waiting for it to come right a 2 stage vetting is cheaper than the regret if things go wrong.
Insurance may not cover something they consider long standing even if there is no history of problems at his age there could be many underlying issues.

I still think this horse is worth going for in the circumstances.

lincolnlady

Visit site
go for it!! i bought my tb when he was 17 n hes now nearly 21 n looks better than my friends 5 year old. hes only ever been lame once n that was an abcess n it cleared up in 3 days lol. my friends 5 year old shes had nothing but problems with losing shoes lameness capped hock rearing bucking and now has gone down lame again!! i love my old boy mind you he dont act old he can rear with the best of them (not when ridden only playing in fields) xx

Maddie2412

Visit site
i brought a 17yo tb last year!!! completely fell in love with him, my problem has been he has done a suspensory so with box rest and rehab time he has basically had a year off so thats annoying however (my point being if theyre injured and old you do loose valuable time) i was lucky and he had low mileage and xrays showed up clean bones so once hes better he will be able to continue doing what he does best (jumping and xc) at the ripe old age of 20 :) nothing like a tb!! xx

Parker79

Visit site
This was my point really, it can still go wrong and costs the same to fix whether it was cheap or not, the horse has no idea of its value and unless you are prepared to take the risk, as I am, or very experienced to pick up on things before they go wrong and do plenty of waiting for it to come right a 2 stage vetting is cheaper than the regret if things go wrong.
Insurance may not cover something they consider long standing even if there is no history of problems at his age there could be many underlying issues.

I still think this horse is worth going for in the circumstances.

I think that BP makes some very very good points....when you have you own land or rent a field you can take more 'risks' as you can offer a lame horse a home and have another to ride....you mentioned you have another horse? is he she sound? I was given an option of a Welsh D who I love to death but he had past lameness issues....I already have one retired horse and couldn't bear the idea of paying for 2 and still having nothing to ride! As much as I love my horses, I want to ride!

Any horse is a risk, I wouldn't be put off a 16yo TB, great that you already know him, maybe consider a 2 stage? it just might save you some major heartache if the vet spots something.

morrismob

Visit site
Hi, I bought a 15 yr old horse two years ago and he has been one of the best horses we have had, sensible enough for me to hack etc but has also been pinched by both my girls for PC duties and hunting !

I didn't vet but got the vet out when he was here for a once over but my farrier also gave him the once over, I trust him totally and always feel happy when he has given them the all clear. It's amazing what he can pick up from shoes and the way they hold their feet up for shoeing. Bought a TB for daughter and cost a fortune, 5* vetting all clear xrays of feet and hocks all clear, farrier didn't like the way she held her hinds up for shoeing was diagnosed with kissing spines and never competed with us !!

But as someone said I have my own land and she could be retired here. Good luck.

ghostie

Visit site
personally age wouldn't put me off for what you want him for. I would have a five stage vetting though regardless of his price. For me vetting isn't about protecting the value of my purchase price but understanding what I am letting myself in for financially and emotion wise. E.g. If I bouht a horse for £500 I would still love it as much as one ten times the value and if it was diagnosed with something unpleasant I would spend as much money trying to treat and shed as many tears as I would over a more expensive horse. Not saying I would walk away if anything at all showed on vetting, but would want tp make an informed decision.

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
I have just started to reschool a 17 yr old tb. She's great. Each horse is an individual at this age. A couple at a similar age have retired but the oldest on the yard in the 30's is still going out!

Goldenstar

Visit site
The owner does seem very genuine and I think she could see that me and him got on well and just wants him to be happy, yes I see your point, I was searching on Google about vetting older/low value horses, and some opinions on forums were its pointless to do so. Would you always suggest it? Thank you!

It's not pointless to do what if he's going blind or has a bad heart these are things that can be wrong with a horse that you cannot tell without a vetting and you could end up with a horse that not safe to ride, its always worth vetting ,whether it's a two or full five stage is up to you you need to research and decide I have bought a couple of horses that failed five stage vettings and we had fun for several years before in each case the thing they failed for caught up with them and I knew the issues I needed to be managing carefully from the start.
Finally an old horse can give invaluable experiance but you need to have a plan for his old age at that age he may be needing to slow down just when you want to do more and you need to think though now how you would handle that.

Minnies_Mum

Visit site
From a vet's point of view, it's the older lower value horses that are probably worth vetting most! We know there will be some wear and tear, it's inevitable in a mid/teens horse who has worked hard. We vet them based on your expectations- if you told me you wanted to event him he'd possibly fail on that basis, but pass for low level RC and fun activities. In a young, expensive competition horse you're much less likely to find a problem than an older horse. It's not just what you pay for him, it's what you might end up paying in vet bills, also heartache if he is off the road for a long time/permanently. I've been there with an older TB that we didn't vet (before I was a vet) and he was expensively lame and the heartache of being 15 and not being able to ride my first ever horse all summer was hard. Might be worth a 2 stage vetting just to check eyes, heart and general soundness.

caramel

Visit site
I don't know about buying a 16 year old, but I bought my ex racer at 13, having raced over fences and hurdles from 5 up to 11, broken in at 2, hunted and pointed. We've had a lot of issues, feet, back, neck etc. Luckily he's a good do-er and easy to keep weight on, he's very easy to do, just managed carefully.
It depends entirely on what you want to do with him, as long as they're managed carefully and kept ticking over there's nothing to suggest he can't be active and go out and have fun.

hol089

Visit site
I bought my 19yr old cob in January after a 3 month loan, I didn't get him vetted as I'd had two experienced instructors look him over, he's on the same yard as he was before with the instructor seeing him in lessons 2/3 days every week, he'd been at the same place for 15 years and never sick only one case of mud fever, he is fully insured with Petplan up till the age of 25 when it will change to injury only. In hindsight it was probably a risk but then we all have our own opinions. The main thing I think to keep in mind is that with an older horse it will probably be his last home and there's always the chance you might end up with a retired horse in the furure (allthough this can happen at any age) I wouldn't buy him if you're unsure as to whether you could keep him until the end, I really hate seeing oldies up for sale :(

HazyXmas

Visit site
I wouldn't buy unless he had passed a 5 stage vetting & he was very cheap.

We spent the day yesterday trawling up the motorway for 2 hours to see a 15 yr old schoolmaster for my daughter to event. Turns out is is a few days off of 16!!! Why they didn't tell me that on the phone is beyond me.

Anyway we've decided against him as it's too much money that we wouldn't ever have any hope of getting back & he's unlikely to be able to carry on eventing for very much longer.

MILLGREENLADY

Visit site
I would say if he had done 8 seasons hunting and he is old no, as their is going to be lots of wear and tear there. but how hard of seasons have they been ? some people count taking a horse out a couple of times a season as hunted a season. Or has it hunted 3 nights a fortnight for 8 seasons !

I would only be Cautious because my hunter i brought as a 9 year old hunted since he was 4 was a huntsmans horse wipped in blaa blaa gave me 2 lovely season then went lame just had to have a year off and a hock operations through to serve arthritis and it broke my heart but fingers crossed he will be ok.

But then if you got your heart set on it and its going to do what you want, then fair enough deffently would get it vetted if it was cheap only like a 2 star vetting.

But then again someone has just given me a 16 year old hunt horse to fitten and do a bit off work with then if they want him back they will give me some money for him..

Lolo

Visit site
I always say this, but we did it and it was the best decision we ever made. The TB I got though was 21, nearly 22!

I had him for a month's trial and he was perfect. I had an amazing 5 years on him and he was worth his weight in gold several times over. We were gifted him, but I think we'd have merrily paid a small amount to keep him as he was just so lovely. We did everything, from hunter trials and ODEs to mounted games and hunting and were deadly competitive (apart from dressage, where he'd play the fool!).

He'd never have passed the vet. He'd done 8 years of team chasing, PC eventing (intermediate and open level) and all PC/ RC activities as he was often used as a last minute stand in for those who's horses had gone lame for things like camps. Prior to that he'd done a lot as well. We never ran on hard ground, and let him dictate the pace his life was lead at (full speed ahead for most of it!).

The only warning I have is how much they mean to you. He was my horse of a lifetime and when his time came to be PTS it was worse than the other times that had happened. But for 5 amazing years it was the least we could do to ensure he went with dignity.

2112_1077365021452_1446041645_30226865_6375_n.jpg

If he's the one for you, go for it. Sod the bits that say 'he's too old' because if I'd listened I'd have missed out enormously. Before Cheeky, I was going to give up riding as I'd lost so much confidence but he made me man up and enjoy myself again :D

Sophie1990

Visit site
Thank you everyone for your input! It's great to hear different experiences and stories and it definitely gives me a lot to consider! :D