Should I buy a Shetland?

TreeDog

Visit site
I moved my 15.2hh gelding to a yard where he can live out a few months ago after finding out he has an inoperable tumor in his nasal cavity. I guess he's sort of semi-retired, but still lightly ridden/driven 1 or 2 times a week.
A lady on the yard recently bought a 2yr old Shetland type colt (not registered) from unpleasant circumstances. She's now decided to sell him on as he's not suitable for her, I'm very tempted as he is so adorable. He would need gelding probably as soon as possible, he can't be turned out until he's gelded as there are mares on the yard. YO has a 6 month colt foal mini who he would probably be turned out with. Next summer I may break him to harness, I also really enjoy ground work and in hand walks but mostly he'd just be a pet.

Someone tell me I'm mad and it's a terrible idea?

meleeka

Visit site
Erm I think you may have come to the wrong place if If you want someone to tell you it’s a terrible idea ?

I think everyone should have a Shetland in their lives. Mine makes me smile every day. If he could have a job, such as driving, I think it would be even better, so of course you should buy the Shetland ?

Bonnie Allie

Visit site
You know they live forever right? Are massive escape artists? Have the brain power of 10 large horses combined? Can climb through electric fences?

But yes you should............they definitely enrich your life as well as bring you into contact with lots of new people (and neighbours when you are apologising for their prize roses being eaten yet again when Shetland has visited in the night).

ElleSkywalker

As excited as Kitty about to be a bridesmaid
Visit site
You will get a good quality, registered Shetland for cheaper at the end of the month from the Lerwick or Aberdeen sales.

How many do you reckon I could shove in the back of a 3.5 ton lorry with partition out the way? My shetland would love a few mates that she could be queen of ??

ETA yes of course you should get a shetland OP. I'll get my pony to send it her complete works. Latest Book 'A shetland ponies guide to electric fencing, under, over or through, a complete how-to manual'

asmp

Visit site
We had a mini Shetland arrive out our yard just before lockdown and he is so cute! One thing I would say is that our grazing is a bit too rich for him so he has to be muzzled and can’t go out all the time.

Visit site
How many do you reckon I could shove in the back of a 3.5 ton lorry with partition out the way? My shetland would love a few mates that she could be queen of ??

ETA yes of course you should get a shetland OP. I'll get my pony to send it her complete works. Latest Book 'A shetland ponies guide to electric fencing, under, over or through, a complete how-to manual'

At least 6 foals comfortably! 3 adults ? and you still wouldn't be overweight!

Trouper

Visit site
For entertainment value - can't be beaten. However, if you want one as a companion in the true sense of the word i.e. in the field with yours then I think you have to think about diet. Shetlands need to live on fresh air and I have known people get one thinking it is an easy companion option (giggles uncontrollably) only to find they have to keep them on restricted grazing away from a companion because of the lami risk etc.

Quigleyandme

Visit site
Without a doubt Shetlands are my favourite breed but I fell into the trap of buying a standard 10hh colt as a companion for my very buzzy Dales pony when I purchased my own yard. He was absolutely fine until I had him gelded after which his weight ballooned and he became a chronic laminitic. He had to be isolated from my by now two horses most of the time and it was very hard to witness his frustration and boredom. The best we could do was make a pen for him in the field shelter so he would have their company when they used it. He could remove any grazing muzzle in seconds and was expert at evading capture whilst stuffing himself with grass. We would often chase him around the field in the landrover for an hour or more before we could catch him. His feet never recovered fully enough to be walked out in hand very often let alone put to harness as we planned. The smart three phase carriage we bought him was never used by us and sold at a huge loss after sitting under a tarp for four years. I made the heartbreaking decision to have him pts at only 7 years old rather than continue to subject him to an unnatural and depressing life. At this time, in the middle of the 2008 recession, horses had little commercial value and the rescue centres were full to bursting and I couldn’t find him an alternative home. Local Shetland studs were attempting to give ponies away. Other people manage them very well and I had a mini gelding on livery who had never had laminitis and could live with the others but I completely failed mine. I would have a field full of them if the balance between keeping them at a healthy weight and allowing them to express natural behaviours and live like an equine wasn’t so tricky. Sorry to be such a misery doomsayer but the potential realities need to be considered too. Your prospective pony would have a companion with similar needs so it may work out really well for you though.

TreeDog

Visit site
He may be turned out with my bigger one but having a companion is not the aim, he'd probably spend at least the winter turned out with yo's colt foal. The yard is fairly well set up for them with small well grazed paddocks and pony resistant fencing. Generally they don't escape although the 6 month colt is tiny and learning new tricks every day ?

So my reasons not to are:
I don't think I'll be able to keep him forever, if I have to move for work (possible in the next 9 months-year) I can't guarantee I'll find somewhere suitable for him and big horse but if I don't buy him he'll be moving anyway, if I do buy him he stays on the same yard for now and will have a nice start being turned out with another youngster.
I am mainly worried he might injure himself or have a medical issue and need expensive vet treatment, which could suddenly turn a cheap pony into a very expensive pony! I'm not sure how much is be willing to pay out for treatment or surgery and might have to make some difficult decisions. I'll probably get a basic vets fees insurance which I've just looked at and would be about £200 annually.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Thats not a bad idea , it sounds like a excellent plan .
Give someone a great life that’s what as horse owners we should be aiming for .
However you will need to be able to provide restricted food and enough exercise for him but if the yard can offer that get him .
My first pony was a Shetland, they need lots work and that their issue in life usually they do jobs that are not lots of work .
When I was driving the Shetlands doing driving trials where wonderful to watch .
Single Shetland pulling two small adults and loving it .
You need the Shetland ,then you need harness then a little carriage then you need a competition carriage then transport for whole lot .
Meanwhile as he grows up you can do some driving lessons so you are ready .
Right that’s the next decade sorted out .
Get the pony bought.

meleeka

Visit site
Without a doubt Shetlands are my favourite breed but I fell into the trap of buying a standard 10hh colt as a companion for my very buzzy Dales pony when I purchased my own yard. He was absolutely fine until I had him gelded after which his weight ballooned and he became a chronic laminitic. He had to be isolated from my by now two horses most of the time and it was very hard to witness his frustration and boredom. The best we could do was make a pen for him in the field shelter so he would have their company when they used it. He could remove any grazing muzzle in seconds and was expert at evading capture whilst stuffing himself with grass. We would often chase him around the field in the landrover for an hour or more before we could catch him. His feet never recovered fully enough to be walked out in hand very often let alone put to harness as we planned. The smart three phase carriage we bought him was never used by us and sold at a huge loss after sitting under a tarp for four years. I made the heartbreaking decision to have him pts at only 7 years old rather than continue to subject him to an unnatural and depressing life. At this time, in the middle of the 2008 recession, horses had little commercial value and the rescue centres were full to bursting and I couldn’t find him an alternative home. Local Shetland studs were attempting to give ponies away. Other people manage them very well and I had a mini gelding on livery who had never had laminitis and could live with the others but I completely failed mine. I would have a field full of them if the balance between keeping them at a healthy weight and allowing them to express natural behaviours and live like an equine wasn’t so tricky. Sorry to be such a misery doomsayer but the potential realities need to be considered too. Your prospective pony would have a companion with similar needs so it may work out really well for you though.
Sorry to read about your struggles. There’s only one logical answer to this problem though and that’s to have two!

NeverSurrender

Visit site
I absolutely adore my Shetland and I am very lucky that (touch wood) he has had no issues with lami or sweet itch and can live out with my big horse as a companion. That said, it would be a mistake to think that you can manage them exactly the same way as a 'normal' horse.

His current yard luckily do not believe in fertilising grass, and he is also not particularly greedy regardless. He is muzzled through summer but not through winter, and we try to be really proactive with exercise when we see his weight creeping up. For him, this means things like clipping but being stingy with rugs, no treats, muzzling, ride and lead/lunging/in hand hacking... And we are currently looking at breaking him to drive as he loves working.

They are fantastic and rewarding but definitely a decision to be thoroughly considered before jumping in with both feet!

Bonnie Allie

Visit site
If you are concerned about managing their weight you can take them for a run with you. Hubby used to take one at a time on a bike ride to keep their metabolic rate high and ward off laminitis. They would trot along smartly beside him on a lead.

I tried the bike but little turds had me on the gravel twice so I went back to jogging with them.

Ours is now 29 and too old to be jogging but still gets taken on 3 walks per week of 6km per time.

We also pay a little special needs girl to come once a week and brush her as she just loves small children having taught 6 children including my twins to ride over the years.

EJJ999

Visit site
We have a shetland but has previously had so many bouts of lami (before we got him) he lives most of the time in a dry paddock. He has loads of different types of haynets/toys and a good walk everyday so has a happy enough life. He only goes in the big paddock for about an hour a day and muzzled. I just think their grazing needs are quite different.

Think it's much easier to keep horses together if they need to eat similar quantities. Love the shetland to bits but he is harder work than the big one now. And he's quite an unsocialable little git too. He doesn't care if he is with the others or not. He can see them but he doesn't care about that either. Not sure if that's a shetland thing.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
They are quite good fun to take out on a hack on the lead if you have a suitable riding horse to cope with trotting along with a Shetland attached.

TreeDog

Visit site
Unfortunately I was too slow ? but fortunately sold to another lady on the yard! So he's not going anywhere :) I might well get my own in the future if another opportunity comes up though!

tatty_v

Visit site
We took on a yearling Shetland colt earlier this year and honestly, I am totally smitten. He is ace, I never thought I’d be a mini fan but he’s converted me! So I say yes, get the Shetland - who could resist a face like this?!
16C47E31-BF51-4FDF-BD4C-9253EA32A015.jpeg