ktj1891

Visit site
Who says she is sound?
Mind you regardless of that I don't understand buying a horse that tugs at your heart strings just to sell it on...

Exactly - this is why I am asking vet who is looking at vet history and will let me know whether she is worth a vetting or not.

It's not really that I have been offered her previously a number of times even before she had these soundness issues but I have always said no purely because I haven't wanted another even though she is my mare's foal. However, I considered it this time around because I miss riding my own and thought she would be a fun project to bring on. However, I did not know the extent of her vet history before I went and saw her this weekend. Only, as I said that she query had OCD but arthroscopy came back clear. I was no aware that she still wasn't sound at the start of August after having cortisone injections in March and I wasn't aware she only become sound after being shod in August but hasn't had the vet back out to re-assess.

ktj1891

Visit site
This was her at the weekend. I think my mind is made up on her to be honest, as sad as it is as I would have loved to have had her. It isn't really the sensible option as I am not in the bracket to be able to pay and keep a horse that could have issues re-surface and have to be retired :(
29637023-c11e-4c15-9952-c07b3e1e6d77.JPGfc44fc40-6511-4c60-ab52-2f225832937d.JPG

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to cooler days
Visit site
Did she always stand with the off hind stretched out like that?

First thing I noticed too. It is difficult when you have a connection but I had to walk away from one 18 months ago. It was going to be long time consuming problem to solve and one I couldn't guarantee would work out. I do wonder what happened....

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
Yes I went to see her last weekend. She was a little grumpy on the ground but nothing serious, didn't appear sore when I felt her back, shes twitchy when you touch her mane because she doesn't like it being pulled and has obviously had it done so made her resentful, shes not great at mounting block either. All issues in training I would say. I rode her up the drive and back and she was very forwards, trotted her a short distance and felt ok to me.

Could be training issues but could also be pain related. Not wanting to stand to be mounted as shes anticipating pain.

Only you know what you want to do. I would be intrigued what price they're asking for a horse with that many previous issues, I can't see anyone (who isn't you and had emotional attachment) that would ever buy her now or in the future if you want to tell her on.

Do let us know what you decide. :)

Last edited:

Leo Walker

Visit site
Would they consider a loan? Its really the only responsible thing they can do given her medical history. If she stays sound then you could look at selling her and splitting the profits or similar.

ktj1891

Visit site
Would they consider a loan? Its really the only responsible thing they can do given her medical history. If she stays sound then you could look at selling her and splitting the profits or similar.

Tbh I don't know if she is going to sell her. I think she is going to get the vet back out soon for a follow up.

eahotson

Visit site
Yes she was started far too young at 3 which the owner has admitted due to yard owner pressures and also providing an ill fitting saddle and being on a yard that had no winter turnout. So a culmination of things that haven't given her the best start. If I am being brutally honest I wasn't looking for a horse at all, as I already have her retired mother which is an expense in itself. However, over the years this owner has always offered the said filly to me when she has thought she was not able to keep her. She has recently re-offered her to me and this time I have considered it.

The intention would be to have her, iron out some issues she has, have some fun with her for a few months and hopefully sell her own in the near future as a riding pony.
No especially as you are thinking of selling on.

Equi

Visit site
You’ve made the right decision. There is something very wrong with her back end and is just one big vet bill with little to no good outcome.