Should I get back on this horse?

Expo

Visit site
My lovely old horse - Bob the Cob, who is now 24 - went lame a year ago. A full vet work up with ultra sound discovered he had ruptured the medial branch of one of his fore limb suspensories and also has arthritis in both front fetlocks (didn't scan the hinds). He also has suspected degenerative desmitis, which showed up as lesions on his ligaments on his ultrasound scans. The vet advised that he retired, said that the injury may resolve in 4-6 months, but that the degeneration will continue and may lead to further lameness in the future.

Fast forward a year, during which time he has been retired and had a lot of turn out in the company of another retired pony, who has kept him moving about and active. (and, during which I have acquired a new horse!!). He has not "worked" in any sense since then, but has had the best of care. He is also on a good joint supplement, but no Bute or other medication.

He's seemed really well recently, so over the last 3-4 weeks, I have begun to walk him in hand around our off road riding on the farm 2-3 times a week for 20-30 minutes each time, because I thought he might appreciate an outing. He's loving his walks, and strides out happily with no sign whatever of lameness. A short trot today showed no signs either - in short, he's presenting completely sound and is clearly happy to be out and about and doing something. So, now I'm thinking I might as well stick a saddle on him and ride, rather than just walking in hand.

So ... do I get on and gently potter, or do I leave his saddle in the tack room and just keep on with the in-hand walks? I don't want to damage him further, of course, and there's no question of me asking more of him than a short, gentle walk. For reference, he's a 14.3 chunk of a traditional cob and I'm 9st 7 fully clothed, so not a heavy weight. All thoughts gratefully received. Thank you.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
My dearest oldie is 25, was retired on medical grounds due to flare ups of soft tissue issues in work. she looks brilliant now, charges round the field, jumps over my electric fences and is usually the field policeman (i am borrowing her to nanny my ridden horse at the moment). she likes a little outing now and then but at this point i would not contemplate riding her again, she was signed off ridden work for a reason and I consider that she's done her time in that respect.

Others may have different opinions, but for me personally i wouldn't.

Leandy

Visit site
I'd leave him retired unless you particularly want/need a horse to hack in which case I might gently give it a go if he is happy with it. From his perspective he is perfectly happy in his retirement. There is no need to ride him, or walk him out if he has adequate turn out, for his welfare.

Greylegs

Visit site
Following with interest as in pretty much the same situation with my highland, who has been lame/retired since July last year, but is now walking sound in the field and being led. His back and top line have changed significantly in the time he's been off work, and he's also lost a fair amount of muscle from his quarters and shoulder. For interest, I popped his saddle on his back recently and it was quite loose and a poor fit due to the changes, and I have no wish to replace it at this stage. For that reason, even though I miss riding him so much, I'm not planning on getting back on him any time soon. Although I've been advised by a few folks more knowledgable than me, that a walk now and then would do him good, any exercise will be in hand only and on good surfaces. I would stick to riding your new horse and leave Bob to enjoy his retirement.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
There was another Thread on here just recently where someone wanted to bring back into work her old mare of 23yrs.

Yes appreciate that this old lad seems to have a new lease of life, BUT if I'm perfectly honest I do not think it would be a kindness to bring him back into work now.

He seems happy pottering around in-hand, and if you were to bring him back into work - even only very light hacking - you'd still be needing to think about saddle, coz as soon as you start doing anything the fit will have changed and you risk it hurting his back.

Additionally, yes you are only light, but it is still riding him, at the end of the day. He will have to carry himself differently with a rider up top and you do not know how this will affect him.

My feeling is "if it ain't broke then don't fix it". He is sound now, IF you start riding him again it might be the thing that breaks him....... and you will then feel terribly guilty.

But I think the ONLY person who can give you advice concerning this is your vet. I would call them out and ask them to give you an honest opinion as to whether what you propose is going to be in your horse's best interests.

AandK

Visit site
Field sound is different to ridden sound. My 25yo was retired 3yrs ago after a ligament injury. He is looking fab at the moment, but there is no way I'd get back on him - no matter now much I miss riding him!

In your shoes, I'd stick with the in hand walks if you are both enjoying it.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
As he looks and feels so well, I'd hop on and see if he's happy with a few very short easy walk hacks. Let him choose. You know him so well that I'm sure that you'll pick up if he's not up to it any more.

It's better long term if you can keep an oldie gently ticking over whether under saddle or in hand, rather than in full retirement.

Abacus

Visit site
I'm going to disagree somewhat with most comments and say give it a go if you feel like it, and your vet agrees, and keep it very gentle, especially if you think he'd enjoy it, and you would prefer it to leading inhand. My 24 year old who also has extensive medical history is still enjoying hacks (including some trot and canter in his case) and it keeps him mobile. I believe that he enjoys it, he is a busy type who always liked to be doing something and retirement wouldn't suit him... and I enjoy being on top more than walking, especially as he walks so damn fast. He still outstrides every other horse on the yard and the 8 year olds have to trot to keep up.

GreyDot

Visit site
Would your new horse manage a ride and lead? You could try some short stints on the new horse, leading your old one, just to continue to out and about activity. I wouldn't get back on him but I think some mental and physical stimulation is good and will keep him more toned than just in the field (which is important as they get older, especially with arthritis).

Wizpop

Visit site
The change in balance when a rider gets on could just tip the balance. In the field, he is free to balance the way that suits him and he’s now sound. His muscle tone will also have deteriorated and, as Mijods said his saddle may well not fit now.
If it was me, I’d just carry on with the walks, even though it might be tempting to get back on……

Peglo

Visit site
I retired my first pony at 15 due to lameness. (Supposed to be navicular but cleared years later) after several years retirement she became completely sound and took her off bute. I think that only happened because she wasn’t being ridden. I never contemplated riding her again when she was sound and have no doubt going back into work would’ve caused lameness again. She loved hacking and so we did plenty of inhand hacks. I have her still at the age of 31 so it worked out good for us.

I wouldn’t ride your old horse. Just enjoy him as you are.

BBP

Visit site
My pony BBP is similar, retired in 2020 at 15 after investigations showed some suspensory damage and damage to ligaments in his back. This year, other than being far too fat, he looks the best he has in a very long time, happy and moving beautifully and I have had thoughts of sitting on him again. But every time I do, I think that he is this sound and this happy because he doesn’t have to deal with my weight as well. So I’m sticking to walks in hand, and in hand postural work, and liberty training, as those things are what has got him to this point over the last 2 years. I don’t need to ride him to enjoy him. And to be honest, if all we were going to do was walk then it’s better for my waistline to put the steps in myself ?

Asha

Visit site
I understand why you are considering it, but personally id let him enjoy his retirement. My old girl Asha has been retired for a few years now, and some days ( when shes bombing around the field, bucking etc etc ) i look at her and dream of the old days we used to have. But, thats what they are old days, shes happy and enjoying her retirement.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
There are other choices to either walking in hand or jumping on and riding - step it up and do some in hand Le Trec, Horse Agility, fun stuff on the ground....or, do proper groundwork to lift his thoracic sling so that you HELP him carry you, and then once he's in a better position to carry a rider see if he wants to. I would not jump on, not even if you get his saddle refitted to his current shape, it's not fair (but then lots of horses aren't truly ready/conditioned to carry a rider without compromise).

gallopingby

Visit site
Depends entirely on the horse. I have an older one who hasn’t been ridden for a few years. Everytime he sees the others going out he looks so enthusiastic waiting for his turn, l‘d give it a go if you’ve the time and facilities to go slowly and he appears happy.

Melody Grey

Visit site
Another who wouldn’t totally say no to getting on gently. Just be realistic in your expectations. I’d get the saddle re-fitted and then literally try 5 mins in walk at a time every other day on even ground and see how you go. Be super vigilant and I think you’ll know whether it’s a goer soon enough. Being attentive and building slowly would be the key for me.