Should I hit the panic button?

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
Most livery yards won’t charge extra for a foal at foot. The foal is living in the stable with mum, the foal isn’t really eating much other than the milk bar from mum, so no extra grazing required and no extra stable. Mare may need a small paddock for a the first month until foal is big enough to go in the herd, that’s what happened on my last yard.

Sandstone1

Visit site
It just screws up everything. I'm meant to be looking at a rescue cob on Sunday, something I could ride while the filly grows up. Supporting three horses did not factor into this plan. :(

I'm not keen on sending filly back to breeder for all the reasons outlined by many of you guys, unless I were to sell her to breeder, in which case it wouldn't be my problem anymore. God knows if breeder would be cooperative.

I could also sell her, in foal, on the open market. :confused:

I could hang in there, hope mare and foal are healthy and that current yard will help me deal at not an outrageous price, and crack on with plan to get riding horse. Or ask if Quadro will help, but I couldn't be there that often as she's about 50 miles away. While the filly could not do much this year anyway, she will be able to do less with a foal at foot. It would be a bit of basic ground handling but more or less leaving her to raise baby, right? If healthy, foal could sell at a reasonable price.

I really really hope this is a grass baby. :confused:
I would take a deep breath, You have just lost a much loved horse who you have had a very long time. Your other mare may not even be in foal. If it were me I would get a vet out asap to find out if you even have a problem. Then worry about what you have to do once you know for sure. In the meantime try not to panic and grieve for your other horse. Look after yourself and try not to panic, worrying about something you do not even know is a issue yet is just a waste of energy.

Michen

Visit site
I guess a lot of it depends on the YO. If she says they cannot deal with a foal, I've got to hustle.... again.

Three horses when you wanted two seems like.... a lot. It's not one of your two horses going lame or colicking or whatever. It's a whole 'nother f**cikng horse! I don't get how that's hard to understand. And while livery yards expect to deal with lameness or what not, most of them do not have the time, facilities, etc to deal with foals, understandably. And don't think I haven't already rung every local stud I could find. I did, when Gypsum's yard told me to move her, and I was looking for youngstock livery. Exercise in futility. None of the studs are even willing to entertain the idea of a livery.

There’s literally no studs around you where you can send the mare to foal, and where it can stay until weaned?

it doesn’t need to be particularly near surely?

yes it’s a whole other “f****** horse” but it’s one you can sell as soon as it’s weaned so it’s a short term problem.

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
There’s literally no studs around you where you can send the mare to foal, and where it can stay until weaned?

yes it’s a whole other “f****** horse” but it’s one you can sell as soon as it’s weaned so it’s a short term problem.

There are quite a few studs in Scotland round about the central belt if you go looking.

Caol Ila

Visit site

Nope. I tried my ass off for youngstock livery and got bupkes. Phoned or emailed maybe a dozen studs. And that was for a two year old filly, not a teenage mum with a foal at foot.

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
Nope. I tried my ass off for youngstock livery and got bupkes. Phoned or emailed maybe a dozen studs. And that was for a two year old filly, not a teenage mum with a foal at foot.

Looking to foal one down might be a different story, once you know if she is then contact them again. They knownfoaling down is temporary and they will get mares in to do so. However there isn’t a panic to be had which is what you are doing right now. You don’t know if she is and you haven’t spoken to your YO so calm yourself down, you are doing yourself no favours.

Palindrome

Visit site

It might be different if you send the mare for foaling there, the big AI centers you can generally send your mare for foaling and they charge you livery for until the foal is weaned if you wish to do so.

Sandstone1

Visit site
But you dont even know if there is a foal yet! Try to relax as you are getting ahead of yourself worrying about something that may well not even exist.

Trouper

Visit site
You're trying to cross bridges that aren't even in sight yet while floundering in a great big Gypsum-sized hole. Please just stop and wait for the vet.
If she is in foal she looks like a while off yet so you have time to find somewhere for her - even a private place where someone is experienced might be able to help if you put out the call.
I'm still putting my money on the grass!!

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
I do get that it is overwhelming and stressful. A quick glance at any 'should I put my mare in foal' thread shows you the reasons why! So your reaction makes perfect sense and is perfectly valid. Plus you are grieving and probably at your least resilient right now. This was clearly NOT the plan. At the sane time what everyione is saying it also true - the universe laughs at plans and life sometimes chucks in massive curve balls and people get through it. It will all be ok. Just take a deep breath, wait for the vet and then - if a little 'Gypsum's Gift or Gypsum's Last Laugh' is imminent then a) it will be magical in many ways and b) you will have plenty of options. You don't need to game every scenario. One step at a time. Hugs to you x

Equine_Dream

Visit site
Oh OP you've been through it haven't you. I'm so sorry for the loss of your beautiful Gypsum. No wonder your nerves are frazzled.
Right now you must feel so overwhelmed with it all but as hard as it is try not to think about the "what ifs" until you know what you are dealing with.
Whatever the outcome of the vet today, it will all be ok. You will find a solution one way or another.
Op in the nicest way possible you've already been through hell and back loosing your mare. You can deal with this! But I'm worried with how stressed you are sounding in your posts. Do you have support around you right now? Please don't forget to take care of yourself in all this.
Let us know what the vet says :)

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
But surely stallions don’t know their own daughters so the inevitable happens...

that seems absolutely bonkers.

but I know nothing about breeding so maybe it’s common practice? Or completely irresponsible if risking a deformed foal.

suppose it happens in the wild though so maybe foal will be fine?

Some breeders intentionally 'line-breed' which to you and me is in-breeding. Have a look at Welsh Cobs breeding. I hope you get the news you want, OP.