Should I hit the panic button?

meleeka

Visit site
Oh. Mate. Listen, you’ve got this. An adventure. A reason to get out of bed and keep on going.
Sometimes you get in life what you need, not what you necessarily want. I can’t think of any better medicine for a broken heart than a new baby and it’ll certainly keep you focused for a while. Hoping it’s not too long to wait (and another who’s waiting for the cute photos with excitement :) )

eggs

Visit site
Sorry this isn't the news you wanted but at least you have a knowledgeable yard owner who is willing and able to help.

I've bred a number of (planned) foals over the year and it is really quite straightforward and not as scary as you may think. It does seem as though Gypsum is still trying to mend your broken heart.

eggs

Visit site
Just a thought - when did Hermosa have her last flu and tet jabs? I always tried to get them done a few weeks before the foal was due (although they were always a few weeks late) so as to give some protection to the foal.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
Ahhh, I was really hoping pregnant with grass and clover, not foal! But the fact that you have a supportive and experienced YO is huge. One less thing to fret about as she has to stay put and will be in experienced hands.

I suppose you've got a little distraction now, as Gympsum looks on smugly from above ;)

You've got this. Hermosa is young and healthy. When the foal is here, you can feel things out more and you'll have no trouble selling, I'm sure. I guess you can mark "having a foal" off of your bucket list...not that it was ever on there ?

TheOldTrout

Completely Unknown Member
Visit site
Sorry you didn't get the news you were hoping for. Baby will be lovely even if unplanned.

Last edited:

Casey76

Visit site
So sorry it wasn’t the result you were wanting or needing.

Try not to panic too much, she is in a place where the YO has some experience. Take a breath and know that we’re all here for you.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Oh dear....gotta love the way of the universe eh. PREs must be like buses - you wait ages for one and then two come along at once!

Ah well, it will be an adventure, and while so totally not what you were after, you at least have bags of experience to draw on and deal with this.

Idle musing - I wonder if her pregnancy had anything to do with being chased out of that first herd by those couple of mares... ?

Boulty

Visit site
Oh bum! Sorry that it's not what you wanted. t least you've got a plan for now & I guess you can decide the more long-term stuff like whether to keep or sell once foalie is here

PurBee

Visit site
oh feck!
Due imminently?! She doesnt look that huge....do maiden mares carry the first one small?...my 1/2 arab 14.2 mare was a waddling balloon 6 weeks prior to foaling, it was her 7th foal.

It fab your YO knows foaling. Thats such a relief isnt it! She could have said ‘absolutely not, move her now!’....small mercies and all that.

One day at a time. Foals are soooo beautiful and a joy to care for but take up more time. However, due to bond with mum they follow her so no worries of them running out of the paddock. (My foal only escaped running after mum who escaped paddock...i almost had a heart attack....couldnt find them anywhere on my land or surroundings...my heart thudded so hard!)

If i was closer to you i’d help you out as i’d love to do a foal again. Im sure other yard folk will be enamoured by the foal and all will keep an eye out. You can still do ground work with hermosa....foal will pick up early training via mum. Nothing too full-on sure, just general handling, movements. Amazing what my foal picked up from my handling of the mare, made headcollaring him and feet picking etc so easy.

I know it wasnt as you planned....but sometimes stuff from left field of life turn out to be great experiences when we look back. Its when we force life in just one fixed way ive always had regrets .....but the surprises of life, served a great purpose, thats hard to see at the time when they happen.

Im excited for you but also really sorry for the humdinger of a shock of change of plans. Ride the wave is all anyone can do.
hug x

pixie27

Visit site
Crikey CI, I'm sorry it wasn't the news you wanted – the universe clearly has other plans for you.
You've had an absolute shocker of a week, take care of yourself.

Abi90

Visit site
As someone very guilty of catastrophising I know how you feel. Try to break it into smaller chunks:

1. You now know so can deal with it. No more second guessing
2. Your YO is experienced, is not going to kick you out, will help you with the foal
3. You probably won’t have to pay much more/if anything to have a foal at foot
4. She would have spent most of her time in the field anyway this year, so having a foal at foot for 6 months ish won’t stop you backing her next year
5. The foal could turn out very nicely and in the current market will be very easy to sell for a decent sum, I would think
6. You may end up really enjoying the experience

That is not meant to be patronising at all. I just feel you are staring down a very big problem and need to talk yourself down by rationalising the situation. You’re having a roller coaster of a week so don’t beat yourself up about feeling the way you do either

to quote The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel “everything will be alright in that end, if it’s not alright then it’s not the end”

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
Pregnant. Very. Due imminently. All decisions are out of our hands because vet says she’s too far gone to move. Yard owner knows her sh1t, she’s had foals, and she will help us deal.

Can’t f£)£££king believe it. You can’t write this stuff.

You really have had such a time of it. I honestly don’t know what to say but sending you a massive hug.

I wish I could help somehow but you’re miles away from us.

Merrymoles

Visit site
Heck CI only just caught up with this but you have had lots of very sensible responses on here and I agree that you should take a deep breath and not stress too much as it sounds as though your yard will cope fine when the time comes.

It has been a strange fact throughout my life that a death has often been shortly followed by a birth - in humans and animals - and I do think it is nature's way of helping us to cope with loss. Have another hug

Tarragon

Visit site
Had to log back in to check on the news .... and at least you now know!! and you know who the Daddy is.
Not what you wanted to hear, but with the help of your fabulous YO it could be a wonderful experience in its own right.
Have you contacted the stud yet? I hope they don't cause you any more worries.
I hope that it all goes smoothly for you and the mare, and also hope to see the beautiful foal photos at some point!

Visit site
It' will be fine, I had a bogof 9 years ago. Everything went without a hitch and my YO at the time was a great help. I know it's not what you wanted but congrats anyway

Wishfilly

Visit site
I know for me when I have been through a lot of stress, my resilience to deal with problems gets lower. And given the hard time you had with Hermosa initially, plus losing Gypsum so recently, I can imagine how insurmountable this feels.

All I can suggest is taking all the help that is offered to you, and doing the best you can. You will find a way, and as others have said, it might end up being a good thing. Foals are lovely, and I know I'd love to breed one day, but I also know it would have to be at a time when I was pretty much stress free otherwise- so I can see why you're upset.

Good luck with everything, and I hope you get an absolutely wonderful foal out of all of this at least!

Apercrumbie

Visit site
Oh fiddlesticks, I am sorry as I know that this isn't what you want.

However I am so glad to hear your YO is experienced with foals - that must be a weight off your mind. At least she is 3 so a bit more time in the field won't set you back.

You can cope, all will be ok and I think in a couple of months time you will feel so much better and might even enjoy parts of it. Until then I know it's a rubbish situation, but I promise you that it will get better. Good luck, I hope you feel able to keep HHO updated as we would love to hear your news.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I am sorry for the fact that is is the news you didn't want. I believe you will deal with this, and that the foal will give you some delight, even if you do then sell quickly.

Hugs. X

OldNag

Wasting my time successfully....
Visit site
That's a shock - and bloody wotsits, what was the breeder thinking??!!!

But, you'll manage. You've been through the mill I know, and it's probably the last thing you need, but it sounds like you have a lovely setup with a knowledgeable yard owner so I'm sure all will turn out fine.

Have you got any whisky? xx

Sandstone1

Visit site
Sorry its not the news you wanted or expected, at least you now know what you are dealing with and can now plan to a degree what to do.
worst comes to the worst you have possibly 8 months where you cant do much with your mare, you can sell the foal if you need to or who knows the foal could turn out to be fantastic. Its too late for ifs and buts now. Sometimes these things happen for a reason.

Griffin

Visit site
I am sorry it wasn't the news you wanted and you have had such an emotionally draining time.

However, it may turn out to be a great adventure for you and at least you are somewhere with a YO willing to help. I totally agree with @Wishfilly , when you have been under a lot of stress, your resilience will be low and that makes everything seem worse.

Hugs.

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
I am also very sorry that this was not the news you wanted to hear. I dont think I have often commented on your threads, but have followed all you have been through, you have dealt with so much, I think you are far stronger than you realise. You will get through this, your YO will help you, you will not have to move her.

I am very confident a few months down the line you will look back, look at your beautiful foal (I mean how could it NOT be beautiful, your mare is stunning!) and will feel more relaxed, less stressed and more happy with the way things have worked out. Stay strong Mrs! I for one can't wait to see the foal! ;)

Millie-Rose

Visit site
oh feck!
Due imminently?! She doesnt look that huge....do maiden mares carry the first one small?...my 1/2 arab 14.2 mare was a waddling balloon 6 weeks prior to foaling, it was her 7th foal.

It fab your YO knows foaling. Thats such a relief isnt it! She could have said ‘absolutely not, move her now!’....small mercies and all that.

One day at a time. Foals are soooo beautiful and a joy to care for but take up more time. However, due to bond with mum they follow her so no worries of them running out of the paddock. (My foal only escaped running after mum who escaped paddock...i almost had a heart attack....couldnt find them anywhere on my land or surroundings...my heart thudded so hard!)

If i was closer to you i’d help you out as i’d love to do a foal again. Im sure other yard folk will be enamoured by the foal and all will keep an eye out. You can still do ground work with hermosa....foal will pick up early training via mum. Nothing too full-on sure, just general handling, movements. Amazing what my foal picked up from my handling of the mare, made headcollaring him and feet picking etc so easy.

I know it wasnt as you planned....but sometimes stuff from left field of life turn out to be great experiences when we look back. Its when we force life in just one fixed way ive always had regrets .....but the surprises of life, served a great purpose, thats hard to see at the time when they happen.

Im excited for you but also really sorry for the humdinger of a shock of change of plans. Ride the wave is all anyone can do.
hug x
My maiden was never huge. If you didn't know her you'd have said just a slight grass belly however I was so used to her being eventing fit I could see how different she was. When foal was born the first thing we all said was how did that fit in there! They tend to be bigger with subsequent foals as everything gets stretched.