Should I hit the panic button?

Caol Ila

Visit site
When it rains, it pours. Nothing like putting your best friend to sleep, then going to see your (hopefully) new friend and feeling suspicious that they've been knocked up.

Is there any chance this horse could be pregnant, or is she just enjoying the grass too much? I'm about to make a panicked phone call to the vet tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_0429.JPG
    IMG_0429.JPG
    621.3 KB · Views: 364
  • IMG_0430.JPG
    IMG_0430.JPG
    315.1 KB · Views: 368
  • IMG_0431.JPG
    IMG_0431.JPG
    270.8 KB · Views: 375
  • IMG_0432.JPG
    IMG_0432.JPG
    564.5 KB · Views: 373
  • IMG_0433.JPG
    IMG_0433.JPG
    728.2 KB · Views: 361
Last edited:

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Any clover in your fields? My mare had this in the UK when there was clover. Someone else told me that it has something in it that causes similar symptoms to a phantom type pregnancy.
yeah one of mine popped up a full udder because of this earlier in the year. it has gone away again now as I've swapped paddocks.

But def worth checking if she was out with dad at the stud o_O

Caol Ila

Visit site
I know she was out with Dad at the stud. And she doesn't geld the colts. She apparently separates the colts before they can do anything, but who the hell knows if she does it in time.

What the f**ck am I gonna do about this?

Sir barnaby

Visit site
Have you noticed her in season lately, if you have any geldings around stand them together and see if the gelding brings her into season. If not best get her checked by the vet.

Caol Ila

Visit site
She's in a field with one gelding and seven other mares. I thought she was in season about two weeks ago, because she got really clingy to the herd and spooky as hell. I didn't see her backing up to the gelding or peeing at him or anything like that. But after five days of being weird, she resumed being sweet and cooperative. But that could have been youngster silliness as well.

I will be on the phone to the vet first thing tomorrow.

Michen

Visit site
I know she was out with Dad at the stud. And she doesn't geld the colts. She apparently separates the colts before they can do anything, but who the hell knows if she does it in time.

What the f**ck am I gonna do about this?

confused how old is the dad and how old is she!?

Caol Ila

Visit site
Filly will be three in a month. Dad isn't a young stallion. I think he's in his teens.

I hope the vet tells me it's clover. I. do. not. need. this. I just can't do a BOGOF now. I just can't.

Caol Ila

Visit site
Breeder thinks it's better for them to run with the family herd for a while? I know she's bred these horses for years. I assumed she knew what she was doing. I feel like an idiot.

Michen

Visit site
But surely stallions don’t know their own daughters so the inevitable happens...

that seems absolutely bonkers.

but I know nothing about breeding so maybe it’s common practice? Or completely irresponsible if risking a deformed foal.

suppose it happens in the wild though so maybe foal will be fine?

bouncing_ball

Visit site
Filly will be three in a month. Dad isn't a young stallion. I think he's in his teens.

I hope the vet tells me it's clover. I. do. not. need. this. I just can't do a BOGOF now. I just can't.

Was she out with a stallion all the spring snd summer of her two year old year? If so I’d be surprised if she wasn’t in foal!

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
Definitely could be clover. Also could've blown up because of the grass. Could be both....or be pregnant but I'm hoping for you that it's the clover.

I'd call the vet because I'd want to know either way.

Caol Ila

Visit site
I want a foal right now like a hole in the head. I'm trying to figure out a second riding horse while she grows up, and I am going to have a nervous breakdown if this is in foal.

She was with the stallion in February this year. I don't know if they were separated in the spring/summer.

Fransurrey

Visit site
Any clover in your fields? My mare had this in the UK when there was clover. Someone else told me that it has something in it that causes similar symptoms to a phantom type pregnancy.
Agree with this. My mare had the same thing. It seems horses get bigger titties like we do when we eat all the rich stuff and clover is high in phyto-oestrogens (although there's some debate as to how relevant they are to a mammal).

Caol Ila

Visit site
I bought her in early March. Yes, she was vetted, but I don't know if the vet knew she'd been in with the stallion. The vet practice knows the farm, so they might know how she keeps the horses. I honestly can't remember if that came up in conversation. I feel so stupid for not thinking about it.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I'd like to hope its clover but def worth discussions with your vet.

If, if she was in foal, then I'd be speaking to previous owner and asking them what they were going to do about it.

Happy to advise further if not a 'clover glut' as I had to deal with a surprise in late summer 2018, all worked out ok in the end as mare and foal went back till foal was weaned, absolutely no cost to me.