Should I hit the panic button?

Kat

Visit site
So so sorry to hear about Gypsum.

I can't offer any helpful advice on the foal or fat issue but it really isn't the end of the world. Incredibly daunting but you can and will deal with it and there is a chance you will end up with a lovely baby.

Spirit2021

Visit site
Eh?????? What??????

Oh for goodness sake - the breeder can ask all she wants, not a leg to stand on IMO. In fact if and it is a big IF right now, the mare is in foal I would be asking for recompense from the seller who sold under a false description full stop. If the so far non existent foal is fit and healthy, OP will get a very good price with or without papers.

Please do try and be a little more positive, OP obviously feeling very unhappy right now.
legally the op bought a horse knowing it’s been in with colts and stallion. She wouldn’t have a leg to stand on because it common sense there is chances the horse would be pregnant anyway. I not trying to be negative just realistically and I don’t get why op would even consider buying a horse when you now that information without getting a vet to check to see if it pregnant before handing over money.

Caol Ila

Visit site
The vet is booked for tomorrow. YO sent a text this morning asking, "Has she been around any stallions?" So yeah, she's noticed too. F*cking great.

She used to run a stud, so she knows her way around a foal. If the horse can stay put, she will. If YO doesn't want to deal, I would rather send her to Quadro's yard (even if it is over an hour away) than back to the breeder. I guess it's good knowing there is a plan B. You guys are right -- if she's back at the stud, there's a risk of her getting knocked up again. You only make that mistake once.

Fingers crossed this flapping is for nought, and it's just the grass.

The vet receptionist did giggle a bit when she asked what the appointment was for, and I replied flatly, "The horse might be pregnant."

Having booked my vet appointment, I'm going back to bed, where I plan on staying for the rest of the day.

Yeah, hindsight is 20/20. Should have got horse checked. Like I said, I foolishly thought the breeder knew what she was doing, as she's been doing it forever. I'm aware that was not clever of me.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
legally the op bought a horse knowing it’s been in with colts and stallion. She wouldn’t have a leg to stand on because it common sense there is chances the horse would be pregnant anyway. I not trying to be negative just realistically and I don’t get why op would even consider buying a horse when you now that information without getting a vet to check to see if it pregnant before handing over money.
The breeder has no claim on the foal, if there is one, so please stop spreading more worry for the OP.

The issue and wisdom of why a stud runs a 2yo filly out with her father (if that is what happened) is a separate one to the ownership of any resulting foal.

Goldenstar

Visit site
The breeder has no legal right to anything and if they are nuts enough ( and it for sounds that they might be ) to think they are OP be just needs to get a letter sent saying in legalise bog off you are getting nothing .

Of course let’s all hope it’s a great puffy grass belly .
Fingers crossed CI .

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
The breeder has no claim on the foal, if there is one, so please stop spreading more worry for the OP.

The issue and wisdom of why a stud runs a 2yo filly out with her father (if that is what happened) is a separate one to the ownership of any resulting foal.

Literally no one is saying that the breeder has a claim to the foal.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site

Ok, can you clarify a bit? I feel as though you are saying that the OP has no leg to stand on insofar as making the claim that the breeder is responsible and should pay for the foal and/or cover all costs, liabilities and responsibilities, and horse was "missold"

Others seem to think that you are saying that the breeder has rights to the foal and can essentially take the foal, or charge a stud fee, or do as they please/request outrageous things, and the OP has no means of defense.

Which one is it or is it none of the above? If I read wrong, that's fine too. I don't think you're saying the latter, I don't think anyone is.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Literally no one is saying that the breeder has a claim to the foal.
This is the post I was referring to, which makes it sounds like the breeder would have some sort of financial claim if there is a foal, which would not be the case.
I wouldn’t recommend actually contacting the breeder because most of the time they will change you for a accident

Spirit2021

Visit site
Ok, can you clarify a bit? I feel as though you are saying that the OP has no leg to stand on insofar as making the claim that the breeder is responsible and should pay for the foal and/or cover all costs, liabilities and responsibilities, and horse was "missold"
Yeah that’s what I meant.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
This is the post I was referring to, which makes it sounds like the breeder would have some sort of financial claim if there is a foal, which would not be the case.

Ok, fair enough. I was trying to give the benefit of the doubt, but I suppose someone may really think that the "op wouldn't have a leg to stand on" if the breeder did that.

The breeder can certainly request x, y, and z, but isn't entitled to anything.

I wanted to convince myself that no one really thought that ?

The posts aren't exactly cohesive so I asked for clarification to make sure that no one was jumping to an unnecessary conclusion based off of a misunderstanding. However, if that's not the case, carry on. Nothing to see here.

I thought the post you quoted was a separate statement.

Xtra

Visit site
Happened to me years ago. I panicked then I coped no bother. Good luck either way. If she is in foal then maybe its meant to be and as others have said wont impact your future plans for her. After the initial shock I just saw it as a foal that was mine with 9 months less pregnancy worry as I hadnt known !!

Palindrome

Visit site
A very distant relative of mine bought a mare unknowingly in foal in Spain (the whole story took place in Spain). When he told the seller/breeder, they wanted more money. Relative told the seller to jog on as he now owned the mare, the seller reluctantly agreed to do the paperwork to have the foal registered.
Of course the breeder doesn't have a claim to the foal, but they might ask for money for helping register the foal (or they might not).

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
The vet is booked for tomorrow. YO sent a text this morning asking, "Has she been around any stallions?" So yeah, she's noticed too. F*cking great.

She used to run a stud, so she knows her way around a foal. If the horse can stay put, she will. If YO doesn't want to deal, I would rather send her to Quadro's yard (even if it is over an hour away) than back to the breeder. I guess it's good knowing there is a plan B. You guys are right -- if she's back at the stud, there's a risk of her getting knocked up again. You only make that mistake once.

Fingers crossed this flapping is for nought, and it's just the grass.

The vet receptionist did giggle a bit when she asked what the appointment was for, and I replied flatly, "The horse might be pregnant."

Having booked my vet appointment, I'm going back to bed, where I plan on staying for the rest of the day.

Yeah, hindsight is 20/20. Should have got horse checked. Like I said, I foolishly thought the breeder knew what she was doing, as she's been doing it forever. I'm aware that was not clever of me.
I'm not in the least bit criticising you - and after what just happened, never mind this unexpected turn of events, it'd be damned cruel. I'd go to bed too - with chocolate. Your brain must be worn out.

Reading your wonderful tribute to Gypsum, and the heavens and earth you had to move for her, I reckon you'd find a foal to be a walk in the park!

Don't be too harsh on yourself x

ITPersonnage

Visit site
The trouble with (some) horsey people is that they can have all the confidence in the world (I'm thinking of the breeder here, not you) and trusting, nice people like you (?) and me get taken in by this and assume there is good reason for the behaviour. Unfortunately this can have repercussions and consequences but I'm sure you aren't the first (I KNOW you're not from bitter experience) and you probably won't be the last.

But you never know, a foal may be a positive thing, but it's a shock and unplanned so it's no surprise you're taking a while to come round to it. On the other hand, it may be clover reaction and plan A resumes. I agree with brighteyes too, you will no doubt cope whichever outcome. Enjoy your sleep, it'll be good to process all the stuff you've been through, and rest easy knowing that at least Gypsum will be having a little giggle to herself...

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Although very daunting and especially in light of your recent loss not the best timing I’d be really excited. Whatever happens you’ll deal with it and you might find it’s an amazing experience you’ll be glad to have. Certainly I’ve known a few BOGOFs In real life and on here and once over the initial shock it’s been something the owner (and everyone else on the yard!) has ultimately enjoyed.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
CI I had an adult that didnt show at all, had her 6 weeks, did her 1st xc schooling on the Sunday in temps of high 20s, had a sj lesson on the Tuesday, hacked Weds and Thurs and got greeted with a foal on the Friday morning! Yes, I've bred a few too. My vet only said 10 days before that I needed to cut feed and up the work....
That said, I'll keep fingers crossed that it's just non foal stuff causing the issue....
Xx

Palindrome

Visit site
The registering (if pregnant, I'm still not sure!) Wouldn't need a covering certificate as the foal would be PRE fusion with BAPSH. Unfortunately as Hermosa is not graded the foal can't be registered as PRE.

But could still be registered as a part bred if the stallion is registered and graded?

hobo

Visit site
We had a s BOGOF recently on our yard. Cob mare bought in March. Foal appeared overnight with zero warning. Owner reactions went from 'OMFG noooooooo' to 'awwww she's soooooo cute'; and from 'what a nightmare' to 'how exciting' in about 6 hours.

For your peace of mind, I hope she's ok. But if not, it will be fine in the end anyway x

Amber You have reminded me we need updated pictures that was that itsy bitsy cutiest foal I have ever seen if I remember correctly.

Casey76

Visit site
I’ve got everything possible crossed it’s just an excess of good grass and not an incipient foal.

I can quiet understand how the thought on an unexpected foal can be terrifying. I think people get caught up in the ‘Aww cute foal” madness of spring and summer and forget how having an unexpected foal can be frustrating. That it’s not just a case of BOGOF, that it’s also extra vet and feed bills, concern over livery situations and are they equipped to handle a foal, putting training plans on hold, ensuring physical and mental health of the foal etc.

It’s one thing to plan and account for a foal from the start, it’s another thing altogether to have one thrust up one you.

So... chin up. Get the vet out and get things confirmed one way or another, and *try* not to worry too much in the middle.

Caol Ila

Visit site
It just screws up everything. I'm meant to be looking at a rescue cob on Sunday, something I could ride while the filly grows up. Supporting three horses did not factor into this plan. :(

I'm not keen on sending filly back to breeder for all the reasons outlined by many of you guys, unless I were to sell her to breeder, in which case it wouldn't be my problem anymore. God knows if breeder would be cooperative.

I could also sell her, in foal, on the open market. :confused:

I could hang in there, hope mare and foal are healthy and that current yard will help me deal at not an outrageous price, and crack on with plan to get riding horse. Or ask if Quadro will help, but I couldn't be there that often as she's about 50 miles away. While the filly could not do much this year anyway, she will be able to do less with a foal at foot. It would be a bit of basic ground handling but more or less leaving her to raise baby, right? If healthy, foal could sell at a reasonable price.

I really really hope this is a grass baby. :confused:

Michen

Visit site
I really don’t understand why not being able to do much with the mare will be a big issue, you wouldn’t have been doing much anyway. It will delay things by a few months.

I am sure the price you’d get for selling the foal if you did it quickly would recoup what you spend on keeping/having it.

If this is all such a disaster do you really want a second horse at all (rescue cob) as if that went wrong it sounds like you wouldn’t be able to cope with it very well. And I do understand- as the owner of a second horse that’s gone wrong that I’ll probably get sound and sell, but thats just how it goes with horses.

scats

Visit site
Try not to panic just yet. She might not be in foal at all and then all this worry is for nothing. But if she is, still go and see the cob on Sunday and work from there.
I imagine you are a mass of emotions at the moment (understandably) after Gypsum, so everything is going to feel a bit overwhelming. Don’t panic, just take the next couple of days as they come.

Caol Ila

Visit site
I guess a lot of it depends on the YO. If she says they cannot deal with a foal, I've got to hustle.... again.

Three horses when you wanted two seems like.... a lot. It's not one of your two horses going lame or colicking or whatever. It's a whole 'nother f**cikng horse! I don't get how that's hard to understand. And while livery yards expect to deal with lameness or what not, most of them do not have the time, facilities, etc to deal with foals, understandably. And don't think I haven't already rung every local stud I could find. I did, when Gypsum's yard told me to move her, and I was looking for youngstock livery. Exercise in futility. None of the studs are even willing to entertain the idea of a livery.

Last edited:

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
I guess a lot of it depends on the YO. If she says they cannot deal with a foal, I've got to hustle.... again.

Three horses when you wanted two seems like.... a lot. I don't get how that's hard to understand.

I can understand. I toss around the buying a young one, so that would put me at 2, and that seems like a lot! I can only imagine a surprise 3. However, you'd likely he able to sell on the foal for a decent price, so it wouldn't have to be a permanent or long-term 3.

A lot of stuff up in the air at once, but hopefully tomorrow's vet visit will help so you can begin to plan either way.