Should I hit the panic button?

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
As someone very guilty of catastrophising I know how you feel. Try to break it into smaller chunks:

1. You now know so can deal with it. No more second guessing
2. Your YO is experienced, is not going to kick you out, will help you with the foal
3. You probably won’t have to pay much more/if anything to have a foal at foot
4. She would have spent most of her time in the field anyway this year, so having a foal at foot for 6 months ish won’t stop you backing her next year
5. The foal could turn out very nicely and in the current market will be very easy to sell for a decent sum, I would think
6. You may end up really enjoying the experience

Oi, you forgot
7. There's the HHO Forum here! We have our collective sleeves rolled up, ready with our wealth of 'advice', virtual alcohol and cookies and the matchsticks at the ready for the foalwatch. We've done dozens of them!

I'm going to celebrate the news in a reckless and devil-may-care fashion. Chin up. Hope it's a filly xxx

Last edited:

Britestar

Visit site
That's a shock for you. Take time to process, accept all the help offered.
One the small one arrives, enjoy them both. By this time next year she'll be ready to break. You can decide later whether to sell or keep the foal.

Goldenstar

Visit site
That’s a bummer .
I was so hoping she had eaten too much .
You can only go with the flow now and you can sell the little person at weanling ( if you want to by then )
You will have to try to find out who the father is , I am not sure how you do that the vet may know .
The person you bought her from needs a slap.

Xtra

Visit site
I know its a shock but I think when its sunk in you will see it as a good thing. I think it will help heal your heart over Gypsum. I have been where you are and I thought it was the end of the world but in reality I loved having him around.

Have everything crossed for a smooth foaling. Despite my panic and inexperience mine was fine. Its almost like mares are designed to have foals ;) . Mine was also from a young unbroken mare and I still have her at 18 years old.

Caol Ila

Visit site
I found videos buried deep on the breeder's Facebook page of the filly hanging out with two colts of the same age in July last year. Didn't see Dad in the videos. Would a stallion even allow colts to cuddle up with fillies in his herd? Does that rule him out?

I don't know what to do about breeder or registration or anything. I just don't want breeder to be weird and try making life more complicated than it already is. I know she has no legs to stand on, but I can't deal with hassle.

I've enjoyed all the BOGOF threads we've had over the years. I never thought it would be ME.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I found videos buried deep on the breeder's Facebook page of the filly hanging out with two colts of the same age in July last year. Didn't see Dad in the videos. Would a stallion even allow colts to cuddle up with fillies in his herd? Does that rule him out?

I don't know what to do about breeder or registration or anything. I just don't want breeder to be weird and try making life more complicated than it already is. I know she has no legs to stand on, but I can't deal with hassle.

I've enjoyed all the BOGOF threads we've had over the years. I never thought it would be ME.
If she is pure bred and registered, then you ask the breeder for a covering slip. They probably wont be able to give you one as service notices/books have to be submitted usually by the end of the year. But definitely make them aware that YOU have a foal on the way from the filly YOU purchased and that you need their full assistance to enable you to register the foal when it arrives.

You need to speak to the UK studbook (email prob best) to explain you have an unexpected item in the bagging area and would they help, do this If the stud won't play ball

Likely as the idiot breeder runs hers as a group, the potential sire will need blood typing, as also your foal prior to any registration. Not difficult to get done but adds to costs.

If you dont want to register as a purebred, you can find out if breed have a part bred register, or just register the foal with any indeterminate society, like the BHS for passporting. You'll need to get passport done this year.

Time to have a think xx

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I don't think you can register a PRE purebred unless the mare is graded?

It will be a lovely foal and should be worth a fair bit anyway, not everyone wants to do PRE only competitions, and a lot of the imports are unregistered.

shortstuff99

Currently Cambridgeshire! (or where ever I fancy)!
Visit site
I don't think you can register a PRE purebred unless the mare is graded?

It will be a lovely foal and should be worth a fair bit anyway, not everyone wants to do PRE only competitions, and a lot of the imports are unregistered.
Yes she would need to be graded for PRE, from what I can remember from earlier posts Hermosa is registered as PRE Fusion as her dam was also not graded.

She can be registered as PRE fusion without a covering certificate I believe but would need to check with BAPSH. It would definitely be worth doing as there are showing class and BD leagues for PRE fusions and so would raise the foals worth if you wanted to sell.

Jules111

Visit site
You've really been through so much recently. Hopefully a surprise baby will turn out to be a complete blessing. If mare is due to foal imminently there will be only a short delay to you getting started with her. Hopefully weaning will be successfully complete and she'll be ready to get going with your original plans in the new year. I hope you have enough support around you, there are lots of people here who are happy to be a source of help and advice. Virtual hugs, chocolate and wine.

joelb

Visit site
Not surprised by the outcome as I looked back yesterday at the first picture you posted on her welcome thread.

Not the same but I took my little dog to vets once with what I thought was an ear infection, vet raised a brow, popped her on scanner and hey presto there were 3 near term puppies. I was pysically sick with shock when I got home as hadn't suspected a thing. She popped them 10 days later all safe and sound. My point is, I was initially mortified but I very quickly woman'd up and literally loved every bit of it, from delivering them to watching them grow and develop their characters....literally the best experience I've ever had. So lovely they're all still here 4 years later as I couldn't part with them.

Your experienced YO sounds a blessing and the mare settled and happy so things are hopefully not the disaster you feel right now. You've had a tough week but hopefully, once you've had time to process, you will get an epiphany and be able to semi-enjoy a once in a lifetime experience.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I had her vetted back in February, and the vet missed this.

A pregnancy test isn't part of any vetting I have had done, I suspect you would have needed to ask for one specifically? Maybe the vet should have asked if the mare had been near an entire? Not sure that has ever arisen in any vetting I have had done.

ETA - Ooops, cross posted with YorksG.

Caol Ila

Visit site
It seems bleeding obvious now, but neither the vet nor I were being as swiched on as we should have been. I feel like such an idiot.

Jules111

Visit site
CI please don't be so hard on yourself. There are so many obvious things we "should" have spotted with hindsight. I've twice bought mares from sellers who had breeding stallions. It's never occurred to me to ask if the mare had run with them. It just seems obvious that most people would take all reasonable measures to avoid them being anywhere near each other. Both mares were vetted and at no point did the vet ask about a potential pregnancy. You trusted the person selling your girl as a mare to be started under saddle, if anybody should be embarrassed by this situation it should be the person you bought her from.

Caol Ila

Visit site
I guess your brain doesn't let you believe that an experienced breeder with an established stud would be that stupid, even if you can see that they are. Well, mine clearly didn't. :oops:

Hermosa and I are going to have a talk about birth control. She wouldn't be the first knocked-up teenager from Barrhead.

She's not ANCCE registered. Her mother was undersized so didn't make the grade. Hermosa is registered with BAPSH as a PRE Fusion. I guess that makes it a little easier? The Spanish studbook sounds like a faff.

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
CI, I really feel for you with everything you are going through BUT you absolutely can do this..!!!!
I don't suppose it will be easy but you bought a lovely filly and I'm sure her foal will be equally as lovely...therefore completely sellable when it comes to weaning if that's what you decide ;)

Nicnac

Visit site
Oh gosh buggerbollox and congratulations! Crikey what a week you've had. Gin, chocolate and sleep this weekend. Rescue cob will give you some chill time so don't write him off. Your yard sounds perfect and saw an earlier, very kind, offer for a place to take your baby for a while.

Kat

Visit site
Oh I am sorry it wasn't the result you hoped for but I believe that in future you will probably look back and see this as a blessing.

The mare is young and healthy, you have an experienced and supportive YO. It could be so much worse!

I'm so sorry it wasn't the news you were hoping for, but the timing seems like it's meant to be, like a final gift from Gypsum.

And that's a name sorted "Gypsum's Gift"

Lyle

Visit site
Really sorry to hear it's not the outcome you wanted. however, she's only a young mare and the foal will be weaned before you know it, and you can crack on. Keep us updated!

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
As far as the breeder is considered, some people are just...relaxed. They may be aware of such things happening but don't care so much snd deal with it "if" and "when" like it's no problem. I come across horse people like this, and I am sometimes envious of this because I over think the "if" and "when" that is likely to never happen because I have several precautions in place :p I mean, what is it like to not think and fret?

A pregnancy check isn't standard ops in a PPE for a filly or mare. It would be something you'd have to specify or the mare would have to be glaringly pregnant. Youngsters also can go through various fugly (bless them) phases including a pot belly weaker looking phase, in some cases, so it might even be thought of less. I can totally see a vet "missing" this and it wouldn't make me think any less of them, tbh.

I wonder what it'll be! Colt or filly...and what color. It's possible that you might be totally in love ;)

Goldenstar

Visit site
Can’t f£)£££king believe it. You can’t write this stuff.[/QUOTE]
I had her vetted back in February, and the vet missed this.

A pregnancy check if not part of a vetting ( although I am sure it is done for broodmares being sold in foal ) .
In February there would nothing a vet could spot, and if you had flagged up to him what the owner said to you prior to examination he could have advised you , perhaps he could have done a blood test at that stage or the owner might have allowed him to put his arm in .
CI , I am very angry on your behalf you have been taken by one of these odd horse people with crack pot ideas ideas she covered herself from any recourse you might have had against her .