Should I hit the panic button?

Trouper

Visit site
Am so late to this news and am sorry it is not what you were hoping for. I was so wrong on the last "foal-speculation" thread and, clearly, wrong on this one too.
However - deep breath -grab all the help you can and try not to have too many sleepless nights. Can you get a camera set up to your phone to keep tabs on her as D-Day approaches (oh crikey - just realised what I have typed. D-day is 6 June - tomorrow!!)
My friend, whose maiden mare foaled last year, found a FB Foaling Group (I think FB) which she found very helpful as everything got to the exciting stage.
If you have the strength and energy keep us posted on progress.

Marnie

Visit site
Thinking of you - I've been there with a BOGOF and know what a shock it is and it takes a while to process x

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
I guess your brain doesn't let you believe that an experienced breeder with an established stud would be that stupid, even if you can see that they are. Well, mine clearly didn't. :oops:

Hermosa and I are going to have a talk about birth control. She wouldn't be the first knocked-up teenager from Barrhead.

She's not ANCCE registered. Her mother was undersized so didn't make the grade. Hermosa is registered with BAPSH as a PRE Fusion. I guess that makes it a little easier? The Spanish studbook sounds like a faff.

:D You need to talk to the father too - and start thinking about claiming 'foal support'.

No matter whether the foal is registered or not, the current market for horses is strong so you should be able to sell him/her, should you wish to.

Dyllymoo

Visit site
I'm so sorry you have all this to deal with.

I do hope once the shock subsides a bit that you will enjoy it possibly.

Glad your YO is clued up though that's a great positive x

maya2008

Visit site
Just wanted to say - we bought a little companion a couple of months ago… turned out we bought one and a half! No suitable fencing, no YO on hand, two more-than-full-time jobs between us, five other ponies and two children to care for. To say we had a few days of actual panic would be an understatement! But we took her on, so here we are. The panic recedes after a while, and you have help and knowledge on hand. It will be fine!

My old NF somehow sent us her replacement (similar colour and size NF who came available from a breeder we know and like). She cheered up my old horse no end and has been the first equine I have managed to bond with since my old girl retired.

I hope this little one is your ray of sunshine.

Caol Ila

Visit site
Will BAPSH register it even we we're not sure who the father is? I'm about 95% sure it's one of two half brothers but we will never know for sure. There's video evidence from last July of her in a field with those two entire colts -- one two-year old and one yearling -- and she's really pally with them. They're like a wee gang. If the sire is in the field, he's out of the frame as he's not showing up on the video.

So teen dad might need a talking to as well.

The vet yesterday said this is the third unexpected pregnancy she's seen. This week!

Wishfilly

Visit site
Will BAPSH register it even we we're not sure who the father is? I'm about 95% sure it's one of two half brothers but we will never know for sure. There's video evidence from last July of her in a field with those two entire colts -- one two-year old and one yearling -- and she's really pally with them. They're like a wee gang. If the sire is in the field, he's out of the frame as he's not showing up on the video.

The vet yesterday said this is the third unexpected pregnancy she's seen. This week!

I'm not sure about registration, but theoretically if you could get hair or blood samples from the colts, you'd be able to find out who the father is. This would be expensive, but not excessively so. I'd only do it if necessary, but assuming the colts are still at the stud, it would be possible to find out, I believe?

palo1

Visit site

Do you have an idea of when the foal may appear @Caol Ila ? I am so sorry you have this additional worry on top of your grief by the way. I hope you are able to find time to try to relax and process both events.

Wheels

Visit site
I wish you good luck, I am sure you will love the foal once he / she arrives. It will be a great experience once you get used to the idea :)

Caol Ila

Visit site
Would you guys have the vet there as soon as you see anything happening, or would you just watch and wait and see how they get on and only call the vet if it looks like it's going wrong?