Should I hit the panic button?

Millie-Rose

Visit site
Could well be beginning then. Have a Google on red bag deliveries as that is an emergency that can't wait for vet. Once foals born the rule is should be standing in one hour, suckling in two and placenta passed in three if any of these not hit then vet. Mare will often be mildly colicy til placenta passed as still contracting. Tie it in a knot or up with string to keep it off the floor til passed, never pull it out. Foals umbilical will need disinfecting as soon as cord breaks ideally with iodine but people use stuff like terramycin spray too it's an ideal route in for infection. If it breaks naturally when mare gets up it shouldn't really bleed as blood transfer complete. Hope I'm not bombarding with info and hopefully you have YO there to help you am just trying to think what's most important to know. Am so sorry that you're having to deal with this especially this week

Millie-Rose

Visit site
Its highly unlikely to happen just worth knowing that if bag that presents is red and not white you've got a problem. If waters go it won't be red bag as they are stuck inside that first membrane so if waters go then you get a white bag, two feet and a nose you can relax a bit. 90% of births go without issue so odds are it will be fine, it's what they are designed to do.

PurBee

Visit site
My mare had her first foal at 3 yrs old with previous owner. Then 6 more followed annually as he picked her for her breeding as a broodmare for his stallion. All her births went well.

I bought her at 10yrs old, foal number 7 cooking. (Ill decide on my death bed whether this was the greatest mistake of my life, or finest hour! ?)
i had no experience at all, no-one here at home with experience either.
I googled and freaked myself out. I was so stressed regretting everything!
Oh was i stressed.

Luckily, she foaled in the early hours by herself in the field, and i was greeted with a foal running beside her who saw me and gave his first whinny! Heart-melting...!

Rang breeder...”now what?!!!”....just chillllllax....mum does everything.
He said she always foaled outside in the field...paced, picked her place...and births smooth.

You’re lucky Hermosa actually likes you - my mare was extremely unhappy about being moved to a new human and home after spending her life with 1 person in 1 home....so to say that she was tricky to handle would be being generous.
Once her foal was on the ground she bared her teeth at me and lunged at me then spun her hind end at me “he’s mine! Keep away stranger!”
I stomped the field and found full placenta....then more field stomping day 1 looking for his first poop! All good!

Iodine on the umbilical site on foal...with breeders help as he couldnt believe how aggressive his mare had become towards me post foaling...lol!! ”she never kicks bites..” Within the first month i’d received both from her! She wanted her favourite person she’d knew all her life, and it wasnt me. Thank god the breeder was helpful.

You have experienced help, great facilities, and a horse who sees you as her person....its a wonderful moment to savour!

Im really sad i didnt get to see the birth of my foal...i was watching vids and reading everything to gain insight. Was stressed but felt prepared to know if it wasnt normal and i needed a vet.
In hindsight, knowing horses better, i wouldnt have allowed her to move if i was the breeder of my mare, being so close to foaling, considering how long she’d been in that 1 home with HER herd. It was full-on stress for her and thus me too, but despite all that, we got through it, she trusted me after a few more weeks, and its been an amazing experience!

Everything crossed for a smooth birthing for you all, and i know its hard, but try not to worry. Whatever issues can be dealt with on the slim chance they crop up.
I cant wait for foal pics on this thread....we’re all gonna gush!
??

PurBee

Visit site
That’s handy at least!
I hope its a nice mild, dry and still evening there.
I bet you feel like you’re at a drive-in movie...watching with popcorn...!
It must feel surreal being very new news, after the week youve had, now camped out at night, yet it’s great you’ve got your bases covered.
Fingers crossed you wont wait long!

My mare birthed around almost dawn, not sure if its a common time for foaling, but kinda makes sense to have the peace and quiet of night for the birth yet the safety of day just close-by for the foal to be up and ready to be warmed by the sun and on the move with mum.

PurBee

Visit site
My mare didnt visibly wax-up to my novice eye.

Another symptom very close to foaling is apparently ‘blinking’ their urethra. contractions induced maybe? (here’s hoping youve got your safari binoculars with you!)

Funny true story: A woman at work rings hubby at home to check on horse about to foal Imminently.
“Anything?”
“Im not sure, seems normal to me”
”is she blinking at you?”
” I dont know, i cant see her face”

??

Lyle

Visit site
*Squeeee* I'm so excited/nervous/stressed on your behalf! I hope it all goes smoothly. This is why I like hatching chickens! :D Much less stress!

katastrophykat

Visit site
Best of luck, my mare hopped in and out of first stage labour for two weeks (confirmed by at least three different experienced parties on different days, all having had significant stud experience…) and I slept in the wagon at the yard for two weeks after her due date before the years of WiFi cameras. I eventually decided that me being there and checking her every couple of hours was putting her off so put her out in the first field, adjacent to her herd and in full view of her friends.

Came up at first light (about 4.30am) to check, mare grazing and all was quiet. Something made me walk down the herd field to check her closet without irritating her directly, and I found Gunner at under two hours old- she’d had him against the fence we think, he slid under into a ditch, clambered up through an electric fence at the other side of said ditch and the mares next door were not being kind to this new interloper! When I called the vet, he asked if he was really needed… I swore a little bit ?

All was fine.

One last thing to Google is Dummy foals and the Madigan foal squeeze- just in case.

Oh- and go buy a bottle, I didn’t have one in my foaling kit and needed it for his first two feeds only.

Looking forwards to seeing foaly!

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
If you nod off or turn your back for a second, that's when she will foal ? it can be surprisingly sneaky and quick. Which isn't a bad thing I suppose! They can also make you wait. Ah, mares, fun times.

In a way, maybe it is good that it's all happening so fast. I'm excited to see the little one. I totally have foal fever this year.

Hoping for a smooth foaling for you and Hermosa!

Asha

Visit site
No baby. She’s holding out. Guess we’re doing this again.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

OP .. watch this video . It will give you an idea of what a mare look like before she’s due to foal .
My mare would pace for a bit then chill out . That was her routine leading up to it . Before she foaled she paced a lot more . Hope video helps a bit

Abi90

Visit site
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

OP .. watch this video . It will give you an idea of what a mare look like before she’s due to foal .
My mare would pace for a bit then chill out . That was her routine leading up to it . Before she foaled she paced a lot more . Hope video helps a bit

This. I was about to say. It gives you a chance to read up on stuff a bit more (including red bag delivery) then you can feel more confident going into tonight. I echo that The Foaling Hub on Facebook is great for advice, and a lady on there is happy to help first timers and talk them through. It’s mostly supportive

Caol Ila

Visit site
Alternating between pacing and chilling seems to be our MO right now. Would she appreciate fuss from us or do they prefer to be left alone?

rabatsa

Far from the madding crowd
Visit site
My last mare liked to foal at 10 am for each of her foals, the one before that it was 4 pm. Nice civilised hours.

I got cameras for the sheep!

Spotherisk

Visit site
Ours foaled a fortnight early before we’d started keeping watch. I’d just peeked at her bag and seen it big at last, she had breakfast and foaled in front of us at 8.30am.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I had a foal years ago, she showed no immanent signs then we were greeted by a foal in the morning. At the time, I was sad. On reflection, I am glad I was spared the stress.

Keep going OP, you are doing great!