Should I make the paddock

Ninarodders

Visit site
Ok so my horse had been on box rest for 6 weeks which should end today. He now needs a small paddock not much bigger than a stable for 6-8 weeks. The yo was away last week so I mentioned to one of the staff there. She said don't worry I'll sort it.

To cut a long story short she hasn't and didn't even pass on the message. So he's still in today. I asked the yo today and she said she'd sort something but unlikely to be today. She came back to me and said that I can have a certain section by the Shetlands just needs a couple of posts and elec tape.

Who's responsible for making a paddock. Am I or them? They are responsible for the fencing in the main paddock. I can't afford any posts or tape so this was a shock to say the least. I pay good money to them and been very loyal and feel a bit disappointed. Tia

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Bit puzzled why you think the YO should be responsible for buying posts and tape for something only your horse needs, on a temporary basis? :rolleyes:
My horse has been on similar turnout regimes several times and I've supplied my own equipment.
Maybe see if you can get hold of something second hand on a local facebook group or something. It's always handy to have - or you can sell it when you don't need it any more.

Ninarodders

Visit site
Because they did for another horse 4 weeks ago. And as far as I'm aware it was their tape etc. And if it's the case where I need to do it then why did she say she'll sort it last week?

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Posts and tape for a stable sized paddock would be very cheap.

I have the paddock on my yard fenced off (I have a track round the outside) the posts, tape and energiser are all mine.

Just ask if they have any spare tape and posts atm or do they want you to source your own. There are times of year where as a yard we would have spare for bits and other times when it is all in use. It just sounds like you need to communicate with the YO more on this :).

sport horse

Visit site
The YO has been away. Staff forgot to tell her and you only bothered to tell staff. YO has now said she will sort. Why not give YO a chance? If you are not sure if she meant you had to buy the fence why do you not ask her?
There is no way any one on here will know what YO intended. There is only one way to avoid misunderstandings and that is to discuss. End of.. Keep moaning publicly and you will have another yard closing because the YO will be fed up.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
I too would have thought that it was the individual owners responsibility to pay for and construct a small paddock, if needed for the transition from box rest to turn out. The amount needed for a small paddock will be quite cheap, the biggest expense will be the energizer. We keep ours at home and recently have had to fence to keep people out of the field (no footpaths and horses being fed by random numpties) To buy long posts, sufficient tape and an energizer to fence one of our dry stone walls cost us 230 pounds, juat part of the expense of keeping horses I'm afrsaid.

Goldenstar

Visit site
The YO has been away. Staff forgot to tell her and you only bothered to tell staff. YO has now said she will sort. Why not give YO a chance? If you are not sure if she meant you had to buy the fence why do you not ask her?
There is no way any one on here will know what YO intended. There is only one way to avoid misunderstandings and that is to discuss. End of.. Keep moaning publicly and you will have another yard closing because the YO will be fed up.

I feel this to , you forget to tell the YOer then expect it to be done as soon as they get told .
Then come on here and moan about who's going to pay for , Why on earth have you not asked the yard owner directly .
I would not expect the yard to pay to make the paddock it's just one of those expenses that come with having a horse .

be positive

Visit site
I think if you are on full livery then the YO should provide and set up an appropriate paddock, it will require an energiser if it is to be safe, I always have plenty of spare tape to set up a temporary paddock for my liveries and would prefer to be in control of where it is set up and able to move it each day to give enough grass to occupy them, if you are DIY then it is different but it reads as if you are on a staffed yard where the YO makes decisions and is in charge, speak to them and find out what is going on, it is standard practise to turnout in a restricted area after long box rest so they should be equipped to deal with it if they offer full livery.

Ninarodders

Visit site
He was working livery until 8 weeks when was retired. I gues I'm now diy but assited as I only go once a day and they will bring in or give dinner hay etc.

I'll talk to them today if they are there and find out if I've got to or not. And yes they've told me where they want him to go but I'm not 100% sure in the exact location as its not in an existing paddock its next the manage in front of another paddock. I don't think it's particularly safe imo if I'm not using electric (which I wasn't actually planning on doing) as its not in a paddock like I thought it was going to be like they did before.

What size posts will I need? I've had a quick Google and they come in different sizes. The most common is the top rope to be 3" high. He's 14.2 so would that be ok? I'm a new to this never done any sort of field management as they've always done it. I've only had to poo pick and ragwort. Thanks.

Suelin

Visit site
Frankly, your horse, your problem imvho. Just get some tape and posts and get on with it for heavens sake.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site

Mongoose11

Visit site
I would have made my own pen and sourced my own tape/posts if the YO didn't offer any. YOs can't cater for each horse so specifically and your attitude towards the situation sounds off. I wouldn't call building a pen 'field management', it will do you a favour to learn such a 'skill'.

3OldPonies

Visit site
I think you need to a) talk to the YO to establish exactly where you should be making your turn out pen, go and take a look together if you're still unsure; b) ask if you are to provide the fencing and what the YO recommends and is happy for you to use if you are to provide it which you probably will have to as it is going to be specific for your horse and c) get clued up on electric fencing, all the companies that make it have excellent websites and how to guides, as Mongoose said it is a skill worth learning about anyway.