Should I move my horse to my boyfriend's?

Visit site
I'm having to move my retired 24yo TB gelding due to him being repeatedly badly beaten up by another gelding where we are now. I managed to get a beautiful 3 acre field for my sole use a 15 min drive away. It has water but nothing else. Because it's plenty big enough, I could get another for company for my gelding and also potentially to ride. But it would be all on me as there is no help.
However my bf is a farmer and has lots of spare grazing. He's not mad keen on horses but tolerates the time I spend with mine. He's never offered to have my horse before then randomly the other day offered for him to move to his. It would mean that I could not get up every day as he lives over half an hour away and I have children and work full time so he'd have to sort him which he's said he doesn't mind. However, I would definitely not be allowed another so my gelding would have to live by himself (he would be able to see the neighbours horse). It would save me around £250 a month and would mean I could see my boy out the window when I stay with my boyfriend. I don't know what to do!!! Thoughts pls?

planete

Visit site
Sole use. Apart from the lack of company, imagine your horse gets even a minor injury which requires you to go and see to him more than once a day when he is half an hour away. Your boyfriend is trying to be kind but most farmers are woefully ignorant of a horse's needs nowadays and I would not let a non horsey one look after my horse!

Visit site
‘Not be allowed’?? Is he your dad? Surely as a farmer, he understands that horses need company?

I’d go for sole use and look for someone with a retired horse who will share chores/do holiday cover etc.
His opinion is that he can see the neighbours horse over the wall so that's enough. My boy is currently on his own as I can't risk putting him in with the herd again as he was badly injured on Saturday from the other gelding and he's been fine in his own but I don't agree with horses being alone for long periods. He does enjoy the company of a kind natured horse.

Clodagh

Visit site
A year. No plans to move in but I stay most weekends and some nights during the week when I'm child free.
Does he have animals? I’d say you’d love to but he needs company. He might be ok if he has sheep or cattle but maybe not. If you paid for any damage? My oh is a farmer and tolerated my horses. I had 8 on the farm at one point ?

Visit site
He has pigs (on the other side of the farm so cannot be seen) and sheep. My boy has never seen a sheep before as far as I'm aware lol
His ex had her 3 horses there and left them for 2 years for him to look after when they split and I think that has scared him

stangs

Visit site
If the two of you were to break up, how easily would you be able to find livery in your area, would be my thought. I also wouldn't be keen leaving an oldie to just be checked on by a non-horsey person some days.

Sole use field and loan a companion from a rescue is what I'd do.

Clodagh

Visit site
He has pigs (on the other side of the farm so cannot be seen) and sheep. My boy has never seen a sheep before as far as I'm aware lol
His ex had her 3 horses there and left them for 2 years for him to look after when they split and I think that has scared him
It would save you a significant amount of money. I’d try it, if the horse is no worse off than he is already. See how it goes, then if he needs a companion bf might be more amenable.

Visit site
If the two of you were to break up, how easily would you be able to find livery in your area, would be my thought. I also wouldn't be keen leaving an oldie to just be checked on by a non-horsey person some days.

Sole use field and loan a companion from a rescue is what I'd do.
Livery/grazing for a veteran poor doers isn't easy to be honest.
The boyfriend is fairly horsey. He looked after his exes 3 when she just left them there for 2 years after they split. Hes just not that keen on them..."they eat all the good grazing and don't bring in any profit". His words.

Zoeypxo

Visit site
Could you get the sole use place and maybe share with a friend or advertise for someone else to bring a horse to share costs?
IME farmers don't like horses trashing the ground and constantly complain about them, not worth the ear ache.
I think another horse for company would be the ideal situation providing its a nice calm companion

Visit site
Could you get the sole use place and maybe share with a friend or advertise for someone else to bring a horse to share costs?
IME farmers don't like horses trashing the ground and constantly complain about them, not worth the ear ache.
I think another horse for company would be the ideal situation providing its a nice calm companion
I have a lovely companion lined up. I just need to know where my boy is going first as if I go to the bf's, companion might not be allowed to join him.

Arzada

Visit site
I have a lovely companion lined up. I just need to know where my boy is going first as if I go to the bf's, companion might not be allowed to join him.
I'd take the sole use yard so that your horse has company.

As for
don't bring in any profit". His words.
I was told the same about my retired hens not laying eggs. I asked what use his non-working dog was. That ended that line of thinking.

Abacus

Visit site
I had a similar situation when a boyfriend offered me a field for a couple of horses over winter. I have my own place but much less grazing (he has over 150 acres which is only used for hay) so it was tempting. I took it but only knowing that I could move them back if it didn’t work out. I would like to know I had an alternative in this situation. I think it’s sweet of your boyfriend to offer help (especially with that history!) and most farmers - even the non horsy ones - are pretty good with knowing what animals need and won’t fail to take care of them when needed.

Lois Lame

Visit site
Can your bf be introduced to both your horse and the one you have lined up as a companion? I can understand his reluctance, but he might come round. It might be worth a shot.