Should I move to new yard even though it would skint me?

NellRosk

Visit site
I'm really torn, will give a brief description of current yard:

- It's cheap (£25 a week in summer, which goes to £40 per week in winter)
- It's time consuming, no taps at stable and muck heap far away so winter with 2 large horses is somewhat of a nightmare. I didn't have a life last winter, spent it mucking out and trailing to and from the field.
- Restricted turnout in winter, by the end of winter horses were just going out at weekends so were miserable.
- Fully DIY, I do everything.
- Has small arena but rarely ride in it as it is too small for one of my horses to canter in and is very poorly maintained.
- YO is petty and vindictive, always have to tiptoe round because they kick people off at the drop of a hat
- Has free trailer parking
- Poor land management

New yard:

- Is a lot more expensive (£60 pw) but is full livery. YO poo picks, does all waters, worms, gives ad lib haylage in winter, beds down field shelter, holds for farrier and vet etc. I wouldn't have to do anything.
- Has no arena, there is one a mile away so have to factor in the £15 hire charge into cost.
- Has no trailer parking, would keep at same yard that hire arena is at but would have to factor in cost of parking (about £20 a month).
- Has 24/7 turnout. In winter they have hard standing with field shelters and ad lib forage.
- Land in fantastic condition.
- Small yard, would only be me and one other livery.

I'm so torn. The second yard would skint me at £120 a week. I'm fine paying this in winter because of bedding, forage and the service provided but honest answer, is it too much for summer when they're just at grass? I asked YO and she said it was an average over the year.

My horses would be so happy there, they'd love to be out full time. In winter I'd only be able to ride at weekends because it will be dark on an evening and I wouldn't have to go up in the week as everything would be done and there aren't any lights in the field shelters. I'd feel lost without seeing them every night so that's a weird thought. I don't know what to do! Do I pay more and effectively hand over my horses for someone else to look after because I know they'll be happy or keep looking?

skint1

Visit site
I agree, sounds like you definitely need to move, and that place you found sounds so lovely but I would struggle with those numbers

JoClark

Visit site
I don't know where you are but that seems expensive for what you get.
Yards around my area with 24/7 summer turnout and morning turnout/feed/check etc is approx £150 PCM. This is with a reasonable school, elec, water and poo pile next to yard.

NellRosk

Visit site
I agree, sounds like you definitely need to move, and that place you found sounds so lovely but I would struggle with those numbers

It's a LOT of money isn't it. Especially as it's effectively grass livery in summer (with poo picking and waters done). Such a shame the rate doesn't go down in summer, I'd have been there a few hours after viewing if so!

be positive

Visit site
That seems a fair price for full livery averaged over 12 months although with no facilities or even parking space it is at the top end for grass livery, I think I would keep looking but consider moving there for the winter if there are no other options, your current yard sounds fairly dismal for many reasons another winter there will be tough on you and not much fun for the horses stuck in most of the time.

NellRosk

Visit site
I don't know where you are but that seems expensive for what you get.
Yards around my area with 24/7 summer turnout and morning turnout/feed/check etc is approx £150 PCM. This is with a reasonable school, elec, water and poo pile next to yard.

Yorkshire, so should be cheaper than down south. The yards round here are either expensive full livery or cheap DIY but the DIY is awful and all the yards round me have restricted TO in winter. This is why this one was so attractive, they'd be out full time and have the freedom to choose if they wanted to go in a field shelter :(

NellRosk

Visit site
That seems a fair price for full livery averaged over 12 months although with no facilities or even parking space it is at the top end for grass livery, I think I would keep looking but consider moving there for the winter if there are no other options, your current yard sounds fairly dismal for many reasons another winter there will be tough on you and not much fun for the horses stuck in most of the time.

That's what I thought. Fairly dismal is an understatement! I don't think I can do another winter of getting up at 5am and getting in at 8pm :eek3:

NellRosk

Visit site
Are there no other options locally OP?
Would not riding but paying a lot of money not get to you too after a while?

I've scouted out every local DIY yard within about a 6 mile radius lol. Mare has SI so have to discount yards straight away if they're not electrically fenced which is a pain. Yes I think it probably would, but would it be worth it if the fur babies would be happy?! I felt awful when they were in so much last winter. It wasn't fair on them at all :(

be positive

Visit site
I've scouted out every local DIY yard within about a 6 mile radius lol. Mare has SI so have to discount yards straight away if they're not electrically fenced which is a pain. Yes I think it probably would, but would it be worth it if the fur babies would be happy?! I felt awful when they were in so much last winter. It wasn't fair on them at all :(

If you get your own paddock in a DIY yard there should be nothing to stop you buying a fencing kit and setting it up inside the normal boundary, it would be less expensive and yours if you move on again, unless the yard does not allow it to be used, that would be the simplest solution and may give you more options.

HanoverianMare

Visit site

If any other yards were suitable but didn't have electric fencing, could you buy your own and ask if you could line the inside of your field with it?

Although you'd have the initial outlay of some fencing and a battery, if the livery was cheaper then you could still save money in the long term?

NellRosk

Visit site
If you get your own paddock in a DIY yard there should be nothing to stop you buying a fencing kit and setting it up inside the normal boundary, it would be less expensive and yours if you move on again, unless the yard does not allow it to be used, that would be the simplest solution and may give you more options.

Thanks be positive, I'd definitely do this if I found a yard that was suitable. It's finding one without restricted turnout that's difficult too. Current yard said they only had restricted TO in extreme weather conditions. One week after they came in they were put on restricted *fumes*

NellRosk

Visit site
Quote: - Is a lot more expensive (£60 pw) but is full livery.
How can anyone afford to offer full livery for £60.00 per week!

It's full livery but at grass, sorry did I not make it clear. However in winter they get haylage and get bedding in the field shelters which are mucked out. But obviously in summer they're not getting bedding or haylage but the price is the same.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
How much would you save on fuel at possible new yard if not going twice daily?
Worth looking at the other savings you might make? Could always move there in October, then it would cost you not much more than current yard?

wren123

Visit site
Worth looking at the other savings you might make? Could always move there in October, then it would cost you not much more than current yard?
Just what I was thinking! You could move them at the start of winter, then see how you get on, if you really love it you could stay there, or else you could look for something in the summer.
With regards to money, could you do a pub job in the evening?

mytwofriends

Visit site
I'd certainly leave the yard you're on (sounds identical to one I was on a few years ago, and it was truly terrible). However, don't stretch yourself to the limit financially on the new yard - it's something you're sure to regret in the long run, and it simply isn't worth getting into that situation.

Good luck.

NellRosk

Visit site

I didn't even think of the fuel I'd be saving! Also I wouldn't need to buy hard feed as she provides a simple fibre feed (fibre beet and ready grass) which suits me down to the ground. So I could calculate what savings I'd be making on that too.

NellRosk

Visit site
Just what I was thinking! You could move them at the start of winter, then see how you get on, if you really love it you could stay there, or else you could look for something in the summer.
With regards to money, could you do a pub job in the evening?

Yes that's a good plan re seeing if I like it! Don't think I could do a pub job, start a distance learning degree in September so most of my spare time will be taken up doing that. Fun :rolleyes:

NellRosk

Visit site
I'd certainly leave the yard you're on (sounds identical to one I was on a few years ago, and it was truly terrible). However, don't stretch yourself to the limit financially on the new yard - it's something you're sure to regret in the long run, and it simply isn't worth getting into that situation.

Good luck.

It's just awful isn't it! I'm hoping to get a pay rise in January, I'd have to work out if I could cope for a few months and then it might make it a bit easier in jan. Argh I just don't know, I've just got a house so have all the stuff to buy for that so I'm really not in the best place financially. I'm hoping to qualify for a uni grant come September, would it be acceptable to spend it on livery :D

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I'd move, so long as the hacking is ok at the new yard. Well looked after land and all year turnout on it is definitely worth it IMO.

is there the possibility of a grass arena in summer? I did 8 years without an actual school and love having one now but obviously if that isn't an option locally. You can always move house (I did but only renting!)

Apercrumbie

Visit site
I would move to that yard as for the winter it isn't a bad deal at all. Haylage costs a fair bit and with decent grazing that is well maintained I think you should do very well. If coming into summer you find something better then go for it but your current yard sounds like a nightmare.

NellRosk

Visit site
I'd move, so long as the hacking is ok at the new yard. Well looked after land and all year turnout on it is definitely worth it IMO.

is there the possibility of a grass arena in summer? I did 8 years without an actual school and love having one now but obviously if that isn't an option locally. You can always move house (I did but only renting!)

Hacking is good and I'm familiar with it because it's only a mile from where I am now. Yes YO said I could ride on grass in summer, the fields are beautifully maintained and so flat and not pot holey so this is definitely an option.

NellRosk

Visit site
I would move to that yard as for the winter it isn't a bad deal at all. Haylage costs a fair bit and with decent grazing that is well maintained I think you should do very well. If coming into summer you find something better then go for it but your current yard sounds like a nightmare.

Yes the grazing is excellent quality, no weeds AND she said it was high in magnesium which is great. The other horses looked very calm and relaxed and YO is also flexible about the needs of the horses. Which is good because one of my horses is a fatty and needs restricted but the other doesn't!