Should I sell my much loved horse??

chotty

Visit site
Sounds as if you've pretty much made up your mind OP. I hate the thought of pts a healthy horse, so I would seriously urge you to find someone to take him on. If not, would the blood bank be an option? I don't know much about them sorry, but I seem to remember another thread on a horse than was quite unmanageable going to one?

X

Greyhorse1

Visit site
At the moment he is still happy with my loaner and hopefully will be for a few years yet, but if he was to come back any time soon I would have to look at an alternative, never thought of a blood bank but will look at that now thanks!

boxcarhorse

Visit site
Could you not gift him to your loaner or sell him for a nominal amount to her? TBH it doesn't sound like he's got much "value" with his tricky behaviour and temperament.

Even if she wants to start a family, that doesn't mean it's the end of riding forever, she can just turn him away for a while or find a sharer.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Sounds as if you've pretty much made up your mind OP. I hate the thought of pts a healthy horse, so I would seriously urge you to find someone to take him on. If not, would the blood bank be an option? I don't know much about them sorry, but I seem to remember another thread on a horse than was quite unmanageable going to one?

X

Don't think living in a large herd would suit this horse based on OPs original post.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
Realistically this horse has had a good few years after having a horrid few years. If the OP had not bought him originally he would have been gone a long time back. If he is pts now, he has still had a good few bonus years, maybe the best way to think of it.

cbmcts

Visit site
All those saying not to PTS - would you honestly buy him? Knowing what his current owner says? And if you did buy him, would you guarantee him a home for the rest of his days? Until you are prepared to do that IMHO you are being a bit naive.

I have one that sounds similar and when I finally gave up and retired him I went looking for the perfect confidence giver horse, his total opposite TBH. Knowing what these unpredictable, spooky, high, high maintenance horses are like I would never ever deliberately saddle myself with one again - both for my sake and theirs! It is no fun and very stressful to have an animal you love but can't trust - the worry that they will hurt someone, the concern that they are getting stressed and realistically for most that they cost the same if not more to keep than something you can enjoy rather than worry about.

Also when you have a horse that won't be what 99% of the sane riders will even consider passing them on becomes a bigger worry. What do you do? Put them up for sale without mentioning their issues and hope some sap comes along and falls for them? That wouldn't be for me - do you really think that's a good thing for the horse or buyer and that there wouldn't be a huge risk of them being passed on pronto? Advertise them honestly - but then you will get the calls from the well intentioned but silly people who think 'love will conquer all' or the shady types who will try and hammer the horse into submission or those that will tranq to sell on. Too big a risk in my book that a difficult horse will start spiralling back to auctions and the meat man. I would prefer to PTS at home, it's the same end result without the damage to the animal in the meantime.

OP, there will be plenty that will slag you off if this is what you decide but JMHO it is a lot harder decision to make than to sell to the first person who tells you a good tale and to wave the lorry off with a warm glow, ignoring what is likely to happen...

Gryfiss

Visit site
All those saying not to PTS - would you honestly buy him? Knowing what his current owner says? And if you did buy him, would you guarantee him a home for the rest of his days? Until you are prepared to do that IMHO you are being a bit naive.

I have one that sounds similar and when I finally gave up and retired him I went looking for the perfect confidence giver horse, his total opposite TBH. Knowing what these unpredictable, spooky, high, high maintenance horses are like I would never ever deliberately saddle myself with one again - both for my sake and theirs! It is no fun and very stressful to have an animal you love but can't trust - the worry that they will hurt someone, the concern that they are getting stressed and realistically for most that they cost the same if not more to keep than something you can enjoy rather than worry about.

Also when you have a horse that won't be what 99% of the sane riders will even consider passing them on becomes a bigger worry. What do you do? Put them up for sale without mentioning their issues and hope some sap comes along and falls for them? That wouldn't be for me - do you really think that's a good thing for the horse or buyer and that there wouldn't be a huge risk of them being passed on pronto? Advertise them honestly - but then you will get the calls from the well intentioned but silly people who think 'love will conquer all' or the shady types who will try and hammer the horse into submission or those that will tranq to sell on. Too big a risk in my book that a difficult horse will start spiralling back to auctions and the meat man. I would prefer to PTS at home, it's the same end result without the damage to the animal in the meantime.

OP, there will be plenty that will slag you off if this is what you decide but JMHO it is a lot harder decision to make than to sell to the first person who tells you a good tale and to wave the lorry off with a warm glow, ignoring what is likely to happen..

I completely agree.

In current times it is just not visible to keep a horse for the sake of it, its nice if you are in the circumstances that you can do it , I would guess that 90 % of people on this forum aren't .

I believe in these circumstances you've given the horse every opportunity you have looked after him to the highest of standards its now time for another to have this opportunity.

jendie

www.ramsgrovebeardies.com
It is a awful situation and I do sympathise. I have a 20-plus year old mare who is lovely in the school but needs careful handling. She was expelled from a riding school for good reason - she buck when asked to go forward. But when you get to know her she is the most loving character you could imagine. On hacks she is a nightmare, she spooks at the wrong coloured flowers, let alone passing cars. When she spooks she spins and i usually fall off. I can't ride at the mo for medical reasons and she is on full livery. At the moment I can afford it. If the day comes when I can't I couldn't even consider selling her or passing her on, she is the sort of horse that could get into real trouble and end up at a meat market. I'd have her put to sleep. I hope that day is many years away but that is what I will do.

GeorgeyGal

Visit site
Only you know if he can have some quality of life and I certainly commend you for giving him a chance. I would definitely have a go with a RA associate though, you never know. x