Should i take his fleece off?

yaffsimone1

Visit site
Ned has been out in the rain, un rugged all day, normally he copes quite well in the summer rain but this afternoon when i popped up to the yard for the evening check he was standing by the gate...he wanted to come in.

I got him in and the poor boy was so cold i could hear his shoes tapping the concrete! I dried him off, gave him a haynet and popped a thin fleece on. It wasnt long before he was chirpy again

Its 8 degrees outside at the moment and i have left his fleece on, im thinking this may be too much overnight? would you take it off?

Tomorrow night he will be out again but with his LW Turnout

Irishbabygirl

Visit site
I would have thought he would be ok in that if its 8 degrees where you are, that's not that warm. Mine are out but with medium weights on as don't trust lights in the rain!

yaffsimone1

Visit site
The temp has dropped massively given the warm days and nights we have had. Generally when the temperature is below double figures i pop a rug on whether he is in or out.

Even though he is a cob, he is one trapped in a thoroughbreds body...i have never known one who likes being in a warm and cosy stable as much as he does! (my fault probably for being too soft :()

yaffsimone1

Visit site
You own a horse and need to ask if his rugs need to be on or off????
Crumbs....

Im sorry, yes i do own a horse and yes i will ask for other people opinions. My question does not mean that i dont know how to care for my animal, it was merely....what would others do?

M_G

Visit site
I am sorry but I agree with Joeanne. Op only you know your horse and while my horse would be far too hot in a fleece yours may not.. So I think it's a case of ask a silly question get a silly answer

yaffsimone1

Visit site
I'm not a horsewoman with many, many years experience and i do my very best with him. I've learnt a great deal by asking stupid questions

joeanne

Visit site
My 11 yr old has a year or two under her belt. She is quite capable of telling me that her pony needs/doesn't need a rug.
SOME questions are never stupid, but questions about BASIC horse care should never really need to be asked. You should have learnt it all before you got the animal.

Mongoose11

Visit site
My guess is that something has got joeanne's goat today and it probably wasn't your question Op!

Your horse will be fine in his fleece! I ALWAYS ask my lovely friend about rugging because I am never sure. If she wasn't there I would obviously make a decision and it would be the right one but I always like to ask especially when it involves a wet horse!

Perhaps joeanne just knows everything and always had years and years of experience even when she was starting out!

yaffsimone1

Visit site
I am sorry but I agree with Joeanne. Op only you know your horse and while my horse would be far too hot in a fleece yours may not.. So I think it's a case of ask a silly question get a silly answer

I can take criticism but i wasnt expecting a roasting quite like that, now i know not to come here again!

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
My 11 yr old has a year or two under her belt. She is quite capable of telling me that her pony needs/doesn't need a rug.
SOME questions are never stupid, but questions about BASIC horse care should never really need to be asked. You should have learnt it all before you got the animal.

I hope your 11yr old would be better mannered!

No need to go on. There are no stupid questions. What is stupid is someone who makes a novice ashamed to ask...

ps, back to topic, non horse should really need a rug in the stable in June unless it was standing in a direct gale.

sidsmum

Visit site
I'm not a horsewoman with many, many years experience and i do my very best with him. I've learnt a great deal by asking stupid questions

Good for you!! How else are people supposed to learn! Better to ask a question then to be embarrassed and get it wrong!

I did the same thing today. Mine are out 24/7 with my section d unrugged. Usually he's fine but I bought him in to check him over and he was cold and shivery. I popped a fleece on with a light stable rug over the top to warm him up and then left him with just the fleece and a cosy bed and lots of hay! I'll put him back out tomorrow when he's dry with a waterproof on.

joeanne

Visit site
Perhaps joeanne just knows everything and always had years and years of experience even when she was starting out!

Not at all Billie....but I certainly didn't get to own one until I was able to care for it proficiently!
I still learn new stuff on a very regular basis, but things like how to check a horse is too warm/too cold?
Thats really basic stuff and should not need to be asked by someone lucky enough to own a horse!

yaffsimone1

Visit site

I'm not saying i dont know basic horse care, i do thank you. I took a decision to rug him, he will be fine he won't boil overnight and had i decided to leave him out he wouldnt have frozen to death....i was simply asking what would others do.

I should have learn it all before getting the animal?? so you don't believe in gaining knowledge by experience then?

Kiristamm

Visit site
I ALWAYS ask my lovely friend about rugging because I am never sure. If she wasn't there I would obviously make a decision and it would be the right one but I always like to ask especially when it involves a wet horse!

I second this, I have 24 yrs experience with horses and my mother has 50 years experience. We religiously ask each other's opinion regarding temperature of horses in rugs. I believe it is a very subjective. I am a warm person and my mother is a cold person and our thermoception varies when putting hands under rugs.

OP I think you are wise to ask other's views.

yaffsimone1

Visit site
Not at all Billie....but I certainly didn't get to own one until I was able to care for it proficiently!
I still learn new stuff on a very regular basis, but things like how to check a horse is too warm/too cold?
Thats really basic stuff and should not need to be asked by someone lucky enough to own a horse!

I didnt ask on how to check if he was too warm or too cold, i'm quite capable (believe it or not) of determining that myself... i was just wondering what other people would do.

If only i was like your proficient 11 yr old, i would be the perfect horse owner....anyone would think because of simple question i'm incapable of looking after an animal

Last edited:

DougalJ

Visit site
Why cannot you ask a question about anything equine on this forum without receiving vindictive replies? I am staggered at some of the responses on here. Would you have said your nasty reply to the OP face if she had asked you? Amazing what you can say behind a computer screen.... :(

'S'teamed

Visit site
chuck a heavyweight on...if he is sweating tomorrow, he's warm enough.

thousands of owners do it, so you're not alone

whiteclover

Visit site
Why cannot you ask a question about anything equine on this forum without receiving vindictive replies? I am staggered at some of the responses on here. Would you have said your nasty reply to the OP face if she had asked you? Amazing what you can say behind a computer screen.... :(

I always get lambasted every time I ask a question on here. The vast majority are nice but there are the oddbods which makes me wonder why I bother. What is it with the horseworld?

yaffsimone1

Visit site
chuck a heavyweight on...if he is sweating tomorrow, he's warm enough.

thousands of owners do it, so you're not alone

They are many people on my yard that do things differently, one owner has her horse rugged all year because he is a HOYS qualifier and she wants to keep his nice coat. I would say over rugged, he sweats his proverbial nuts off most of the time, but i'm just the inexperienced horse owner so what would i know!!

yaffsimone1

Visit site
i'm glad people ask all sorts of questions on here, sometimes you are just curious as to what other people are doing :)

That's all it was, curiosity.

Joeanne is more than welcome to look at the few photos i have uploaded and more than welcome to critise the clip (i hadn't done it before, so shoot me). I don't think my horse is bad or appears un-cared for given i should have learnt all the in's and out's before buying.

Buds_mum

Visit site
O/P do what you feel is right, he won't freeze without but he won't be overwarm overnight either :) Win win. My boy is abit overweight, he is naked 24/7 most of the summer unless we have freezing driving rain! In fact its nippy and drizzling now and he's out in the nude, bet you he's still alive in the morning :p Other people on my yard would throw a fit at having a horse naked ever! If its breezy then l/w, and cooler your into med weight. When its warm, fly rug. Their horses are also perfectly healthy, so's mine. Thats what matters right :)

DougalJ

Visit site
There are a certain few on here just post for a reaction I'm sure.... You would think they have better things to do with their time :)

Kiristamm

Visit site
That's all it was, curiosity.

Joeanne is more than welcome to look at the few photos i have uploaded and more than welcome to critise the clip (i hadn't done it before, so shoot me). I don't think my horse is bad or appears un-cared for given i should have learnt all the in's and out's before buying.

I nosed through your pics, he is gorgeous!! Can I take him home? :D

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
As I understood it OP was asking if others thought that her horse would be too hot in a fleece overnight when the temperature is forecast to be 8 degrees. She did not say that she had felt behind the horse's elbow (rather than under the rug) to test his temperature and found him too warm/cool.
I am glad that novice owners do ask questions on here but wish, like Joanne, that some of them would learn the basics of horse-care before actually buying the poor animal.

smokey

Visit site

A genuine question, asked either out of interest or ignorance is never stupid. You either learn someone else's opinion, or you learn something new. Learning is never a bad thing. Some people here need to learn some manners.
OP, I would ask a friend, the rugging question is a standing joke with us!