Should I use Hoof Boots?

AlpacaTeddySJ

Visit site
Hello!

I have a young horse who has some pedal bone changes due to rotation and club foot. The rotation should be resolved in due course as he’s had an inferior check ligament desmotomy to allow the DDFT to stretch and lower his heels along with a very good trim! I should add he is barefoot and always will be barefoot as I feel this is the best thing for them. The foot does have some demineralisation of the pedal bone but he was completely sound before the op. Hence why I want to make sure I aid the process and keep him comfortable.

My question is, once he completes his rehab and I begin working with him again (groundwork only, 3yr old), should I be using hoof boots (front only?) to add some extra ‘shock absorption’ or cushioning to his sole, especially whilst the correctional changes are taking place and his sole thickens? He will be worked on a variety of surfaces (sand/fibre, grass, road).

Is it a good thing to use them, and if so, what hoof boots do people recommend?

Should they be used for work only or also turn out etc?

TIA

SEL

Visit site
I use them on my mare with navicular changes only on the road (Scoots - which I hate but she has round feet)

I do know many people use them for turnout but if the horse is that uncomfortable in a paddock then I wouldn't be happy. I also think that if you want them to progress barefoot then they really do need to build up their hoof and self trim so you can see what is going on and obviously boots stop that if they are on 24:7

That's just my view though and I have a mix of barefoot and shod depending on what I feel is right for the horse in front of me. I think you'll have to assess as you progress through rehab.

AlpacaTeddySJ

Visit site
I use them on my mare with navicular changes only on the road (Scoots - which I hate but she has round feet)

I do know many people use them for turnout but if the horse is that uncomfortable in a paddock then I wouldn't be happy. I also think that if you want them to progress barefoot then they really do need to build up their hoof and self trim so you can see what is going on and obviously boots stop that if they are on 24:7

That's just my view though and I have a mix of barefoot and shod depending on what I feel is right for the horse in front of me. I think you'll have to assess as you progress through rehab.

Thanks for your comment! I think just roadwork sounds like a good idea..

He is totally comfortable now and walking fine, heel first etc. but I have just been considering lowering the ‘trauma’ as such on the roads, even if it is just at a walk. He won’t be doing anything like this for a good while yet anyway as he’s currently on box rest with hand walking.

But as you say regarding self trim, really, only the road will allow him to self trim as currently none of my field surfaces contain any rough to allow for that (all grass, smooth terrain albeit on slopes).

Perhaps something to consider especially in the earlier stages, just to reduce the forces a bit.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
If he’s comfortable and heel first I wouldn’t rush too, mostly on the basis that even the most low profile boots do alter action somewhat and that might not be helpful for what you are trying to achieve. I would certainly be monitoring closely though.