Should novice riders be banned?

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Then we should make better simulators. Fit at least to teach rising trot with independent hands. I despair for every poor pony being used to teach that to child beginners, and adults are even worse.

Berpisc

Visit site
Interesting you should mention being tested for things like driving etc, I watched somebody do their best to splat themselves head on into a large HGV this afternoon on the A 17. So I remain unconvinced about the efficacy of licences etc....;)

albeg

Visit site
Personally I think all kids should be shot ;)

This reminded me of a certain Roald Dahl character. And a quick Google, quite appropriately for this thread, threw this as the first result. 😂

db2c9ae702d0f281a45a504afbf00a667f85ef9a4e8ee30e035a41e11e4ac5ad.jpg

TheMule

Visit site
Then we should make better simulators. Fit at least to teach rising trot with independent hands. I despair for every poor pony being used to teach that to child beginners, and adults are even worse.

We have always taught it on the lunge with no reins, you don't need a simulator, just a decent instructor and someone willing to invest a bit more time and money in learning properly (we do have a mechanical horse too and teach the basics on that)

Mule

Visit site
I agree, early stages of riding should be taught on a simulator.

The riding school I learnt at, the ponies had it good, they only got used in lessons on the weekend and then it was only two hours of mostly walk with the odd trot and canter. The rest of the week they were turned out 24/7.

The horses however had an awful deal. No turnout. They only left their box to be ridden. There was a big 17.2hh odd horse there called Genius. He was in his thirties if I recall. He was ancient. He would weave all day and pull faces at anyone who walked past. He has these two overweight twin girls who regularly rode him, he was so sour to the school that they used to literally have to beat him round in canter. I was too young and naïve to see it then but looking back the existence this horse had to endure was sickening. The poor old chap should have been out in a field somewhere with friends, maybe a quiet hack if he was up to it, not the torture they had him endure so they could make money.
That's sad :(

Fellewell

Visit site
Let's go back to the old days when learners had to 'earn' their reins and stirrups. This means they will have to repeatedly remount and stop snivelling but eventually they will develop a truly independent seat and light hands. We'll let them have a saddle, we're not savages!
This will also solve the obesity problem as they are likely to sustain the type of injuries which will make it very difficult for them to open the biscuit tin.
You're welcome.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
Let's go back to the old days when learners had to 'earn' their reins and stirrups. This means they will have to repeatedly remount and stop snivelling but eventually they will develop a truly independent seat and light hands. We'll let them have a saddle, we're not savages!
This will also solve the obesity problem as they are likely to sustain the type of injuries which will make it very difficult for them to open the biscuit tin.
You're welcome.

Round the world in canter ....

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
You're welcome.

Yes, absolutely, teach them to vault first. If they snivel then they can be shot

paddy555

Visit site
as this thread was about discomfort/pain to the horse so you can learn the rising trot by bouncing around the school on the long suffering horse until it "clicks" either on or off a lunge rein or you learn it this way. No contest in my opinion.

the rider learns riding trot at 2.50 minutes in and the "horse" here isn't suffering at all.

Mule

Visit site
I disagree. The hard part for the horse is the real beginner. They have to get up there to start with! they have to repeat and repeat to learn how to control landing on the horse's back. They have to learn to sit there and get the idea of being up on a horse, do "around the world" generally move their bodies around until they get acclimatised. Kids may learn that quickly but adults take a lot longer and provide a lot more discomfort for the horse. How much easier for them (and the horse) for them to use a basic simulator to learn the very basics rather than be dragged round on a leading rein trying to get everything at once. As for the horse spooking real beginners are a long way off worrying about that.
Some of the Heather Moffett videos showing trotting and cantering on her simulators and they seem to be pretty good and realistic.
I have always thought that with a good selection of simulators (basic to very realistic) on one side of the riding lessons and then horse handling/leading the horse type exercises/ recognising horse behaviour on the other side of the lesson beginners could learn quite a lot about horses and riding without causing the horse too much discomfort and could progress more quickly.

No problem in agreeing the licenses' for kids part.
They'd definitely help with balance anyway. It would mean the rider wouldn't be balancing off the reins.

Mule

Visit site
They shouldn't call it rising trot either. It makes it sound like you're supposed to be standing up and down in the stirrups. It took me ages to get out of that habit.

spacefaer

Visit site
A lot of riders in Japan learnt on simulators because it's cheaper than a real horse over there, apparently.

There was a lovely Japanese chap at the yard where I trained. He had a beautiful position and looked great on a horse but fell off with monotonous regularity as he never expected the horse to move randomly!

spacefaer

Visit site
They shouldn't call it rising trot either. It makes it sound like you're supposed to be standing up and down in the stirrups. It took me ages to get out of that habit.

Well, it used to be called posting, after the riding style of the postillions.
How would you have ridden it then? 😂

Mule

Visit site
A lot of riders in Japan learnt on simulators because it's cheaper than a real horse over there, apparently.

There was a lovely Japanese chap at the yard where I trained. He had a beautiful position and looked great on a horse but fell off with monotonous regularity as he never expected the horse to move randomly!
Thats funny:D

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site
as this thread was about discomfort/pain to the horse so you can learn the rising trot by bouncing around the school on the long suffering horse until it "clicks" either on or off a lunge rein or you learn it this way. No contest in my opinion.

the rider learns riding trot at 2.50 minutes in and the "horse" here isn't suffering at all.

Whaaa!.... Now she'll expect the horse's hind quarters to go up and down in trot!