Should shows be cancelled?

PurBee

Visit site
If there’s a breeze, theoretically you could catch the respiratory spray drift from a carrier or infected person at an outdoor show from more than 2 metres away, so in a way it could be seen as increased risk.

Having had swine flu that almost finished my OH and me off, back in 2010, early 30’s, healthy...caught in a public place, an outdoor marquee with breeze....i wouldnt risk it.
Events can stay on and allow people to make their own choice and risk assessment. If infection numbers were to balloon rapidly then perhaps enforced closing would be wise of the government.

i’m feeling sorry for those in public industry, due to there not being an official imposed ban on public going to bars, theatres etc, just advisory to stay away from these places, the owners of the establishments cant claim on their insurance for loss of revenue...they can only claim if officials ban the public.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Cannot for the life of me understand why local dressage or showjumping needs to be cancelled if the dressage judge brings their own writer (many do already), the cafe is shut, the scorers sit well apart, nobody shakes hands on passing a rosette, and people stand apart in the burger van queue.

Except perhaps to show some weird sort of solidarity with those who are locked down, which in reality helps nobody and will probably result in plenty of depressed horse owners.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Having had swine flu that almost finished my OH and me off, back in 2010, early 30’s, healthy...caught in a public place, an outdoor marquee with breeze....i wouldnt risk it.

Perhaps there shouldn't have gave been a marquee creating an enclosed space, but out of interest, how do you know you caught it there and not anywhere else?

Winters100

Visit site
I
Events can stay on and allow people to make their own choice and risk assessment. If infection numbers were to balloon rapidly then perhaps enforced closing would be wise of the government.

But this is the point - they are not making their own choice when they get infected - they are also choosing the outcome for others. They are choosing to spread a highly infectious disease that is fatal to elderly and vulnerable people. Sure the elderly can self isolate....until they have to go to the doctor for some other issue / have an accident / need some home help. They are choosing to get infected and potentially take a hospital bed that someone else needs. They are choosing for doctors to have to change disciplines and go and work in areas that they did not choose and do not have knowledge about - and to expose themselves and their families to the disease. They are choosing to cancel elective surgeries that people have waited years for and which would vastly increase their quality of life. This is why it should be for the government to control these things, because sadly individuals will often choose what they want rather than what is best for society.

be positive

Visit site
Cannot for the life of me understand why local dressage or showjumping needs to be cancelled if the dressage judge brings their own writer (many do already), the cafe is shut, the scorers sit well apart, nobody shakes hands on passing a rosette, and people stand apart in the burger van queue.

Except perhaps to show some weird sort of solidarity with those who are locked down, which in reality helps nobody and will probably result in plenty of depressed horse owners.

I agree, when cinemas, pubs, restaurants, shops selling non essentials etc are not closing, although many will probably do so at some point, the small equestrian event holds far less risk, we either have to have a complete shutdown or take sensible precautions to keep safe and still carry on in a more restrictive way.

Squeak

Visit site
Just seen that Spain have banned people from even riding due to the risk they could injure themselves and take up medical resources :(

Really hope it doesn’t come to this in the UK.

be positive

Visit site
Just seen that Spain have banned people from even riding due to the risk they could injure themselves and take up medical resources :(

Judging by the holidaymakers just shown on the news they may have more issues with alcohol related problems in Spain than from riding accidents, the consensus seemed to be to stay put and drink even more:rolleyes:

KEK

Visit site
Our dog trials have been cancelled for the next month, there is a very high chance we will loose our states and nationals (only every 2nd year, and in our state for the 1st time in 10 years). I'm selfishly gutted, as my this would have been my eldest dogs last nats, and we have worked really really hard to get her sound (OCD in L hock, just had athramid inj into it). She is very much my heart dog :(
I KNOW there are much more serious things to be concerned about , except I can't help being frustrated that I still have to go to work , which is high risk (small animal vet), and yet this which is very low risk , has been cancelled. Selfish I know :(

Winters100

Visit site
I KNOW there are much more serious things to be concerned about , except I can't help being frustrated that I still have to go to work , which is high risk (small animal vet), and yet this which is very low risk , has been cancelled. Selfish I know :(

Not selfish to be frustrated - we all are. I am very sad that after recovering from a serious injury, and finally have 2 really super and suitable horse to compete on, I will be staying home all summer. BUT we do all need to recognise that this is a serious situation and that in minimising contact to the bare minimum we are protecting the community.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
our local dressage event has been cancelled. i was going to write for the judge and if it had gone ahead i was going to ask that we sat outside rather than in the judge's car as i didnt fancy being shut in with someone i dont know for about 3 hours....i am glad it has been cancelled but i wouldnt have let them down if it had been going ahead

PurBee

Visit site
Perhaps there shouldn't have gave been a marquee creating an enclosed space, but out of interest, how do you know you caught it there and not anywhere else?

It was over xmas period, and were in an open-sided marquee outside the pub used as an extension to the pub premises.
There was a guy having a coughing attack on the opposite bench to us around 2 metres away, coughing head down, hands cupped infront of but not over his mouth...i noticed him because of the length of him coughing and it sounding very ‘rough’.

We moved away, but within 24hrs OH in bed with severe fever, me 12 hours later. We went downhill very quickly.

That was the only place we went out socially over that dec/jan xmas period....we’re extremely remote where we live, with barely any population around us...we see very few people day to day life, except passing in a car to wave to! We have farm and animals so have them to keep an eye on, so social outings for the both of us together is rare!

PurBee

Visit site
But this is the point - they are not making their own choice when they get infected - they are also choosing the outcome for others. They are choosing to spread a highly infectious disease that is fatal to elderly and vulnerable people. Sure the elderly can self isolate....until they have to go to the doctor for some other issue / have an accident / need some home help. They are choosing to get infected and potentially take a hospital bed that someone else needs. They are choosing for doctors to have to change disciplines and go and work in areas that they did not choose and do not have knowledge about - and to expose themselves and their families to the disease. They are choosing to cancel elective surgeries that people have waited years for and which would vastly increase their quality of life. This is why it should be for the government to control these things, because sadly individuals will often choose what they want rather than what is best for society.

i totally agree, some cant use sense theyre born with. I have a relative who thinks its ridiculous and is dismayed friends dont want to meet up for lunch and greet her with a kiss and hug, despite me telling her how its contracted. ‘Making a fuss over nothing’ attitudes help spread the potential for it to be a serious pandemic.

folk dont need to be panicked, just sensible and take precautions by resisting the need to kiss and hug everyone!

DD

Visit site
there was an idiot in the village shop yesterday yacking about its all daft and making people push past her in the doorway and breathing down peoples necks. I could have slapped her. Anyway in view of BJ's statement yesterday its to be hoped all horse shows etc are cancelled now. its unecessary travel and social contact.

DD

Visit site
great post xx

southerncomfort

Visit site
I was wondering about whether any riding schools will need to close.

My daughter goes to a small RS where lessons are generally no more than 3 children, except during school holidays, so I would hope they can stay open as I have no doubt they would go under otherwise.

I wonder about the bigger, busier riding school/livery yard set ups and how they will be affected.

I think the affect on the whole industry could be devastating sadly.

Myloubylou

Visit site
Shows are being cancelled by RCs round here but training seems to be continuing with the proviso that people don’t go on the yard and should use hand sanitizer. I have online shopping and have been told to wfh for foreseeable future by my work. We are limiting social contact at the yard by staggering our visits as much as we can, wearing gloves etc. I do worry for businesses as they are going to be hit hard

stormox

Visit site

Yes they arent even allowed to ride in their own arenas. It does seem a bit extreme.
But personally I think all events where people gather, like shows, should be suspended until we know further information about how this disease is spread.
It is totally selfish to give the chance of a rosette more value than someones life.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
some of my local venues are still running things, though with changes in place (just seen one that has changed clear round jumping to 30 min individual arena hire slots).

Already had some refunds for things I've booked elsewhere though. It's going to be tough for show centres that were already struggling.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Already had some refunds for things I've booked elsewhere though. It's going to be tough for show centres that were already struggling.
It's going to be tough for every business (except suppliers of hand sanitiser, face masks and medical equipment).

Reactions: J&S

Chianti

Visit site
I just find it amazing that only a few months ago people wouldn't go to an event, or even hack out, because they were so worried their horse would contract a virus but they're now arguing that as long as they don't get too close to others in the burger queue they will be fine.