Should we see a difference yet?

MurphysMinder

Visit site
Yes sorry, what I meant was in terms of improving health, which is what people often use as the reason for cross breeding, as both breeds seem to have the same health problems, i.e. hips, elbows and eyes.

Spudlet

Visit site
When we were researching breeds many moons ago, retrievers were reputed to have slightly calmer demeanours than labs. So I'd guess that assistance dog breeders may be trying to get the calmer temperament combined with the lower maintainence lab coat? That's one possibility that springs to mind for me.

Spudlet

Visit site
No, the cross will not eliminate inherent problems MM. :) But if the parents are health-tested anyway (assuming the scores are good of course) it's no better or worse than breeding a lab or a retriever IMO.

Slinkyunicorn

www.rutlandhorseextras.co.uk
Some of the responses to this post are just :eek::eek::eek::rolleyes: Well ok they are mainly s4ugars responses:eek:

It is no wonder fewer people are stopping by AAD these days - and that includes previous 'regulars' as the lecturing on breeding, behaviour and feeding is really over the top in some cases and plain tredious in others. Lighten up and try and give contsructive advice instead of jumping on people - good to know that some people are perfect while the rest of us just struggle through.....:rolleyes:

Spudlet

Visit site
True! I find fewer and fewer reasons to be here these days. I don't feel I could ask a question if I needed too, which is a shame since it was this place that helped me crack recall.

Toffee44

Visit site
Some of the responses to this post are just :eek::eek::eek::rolleyes: Well ok they are mainly s4ugars responses:eek:

It is no wonder fewer people are stopping by AAD these days - and that includes previous 'regulars' as the lecturing on breeding, behaviour and feeding is really over the top in some cases and plain tredious in others. Lighten up and try and give contsructive advice instead of jumping on people - good to know that some people are perfect while the rest of us just struggle through.....:rolleyes:

Like LIKE LIKE!!!!!!

Hedwards

Visit site

Well said Slinks (and Spudlet - loving your earlier post too - stupid computer refuses to do multiple quotes)

If the OP has had all health checks done, and scores were good, they have homes lined up, I really cannot understand some of the downright spiteful responses on here, particularly about the OP's ability to do their job!

OP i have no experience, so cannot answer your original question, however best of luck!

Cedars

Visit site
S4sugar you have been literally disgusting on this post. You should be ashamed of yourself. Horrible piece of work.

OP- no idea about breeding, but good luck! Would love to see the photos :) xxx

s4sugar

Visit site
S4sugar you have been literally disgusting on this post. You should be ashamed of yourself. Horrible piece of work.

OP- no idea about breeding, but good luck! Would love to see the photos :) xxx
Excuse me?
I have been "literally disgusting"? The education system is worse than I thought.

Truth hurts doesn't it?
I have nothing to be ashamed of as I am not the back yard breeder producing puppies that have no planned future and I could only comment on what the OP wrote.

I spent much of my Sunday assisting a misalliance litter, not mine, with a difficult whelping & eventual C section which the bitch owner hadn't got the money for and then showing how to hand feed the pups in case the bitch didn't accept them.

All those pups were black and "nobody wants a black one"

If all these people with "no idea about breeding" would stop supporting or enabling the perpetrators of cute puppy production maybe some of us in rescue could stand down & have time to ourselves.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I am not the back yard breeder producing puppies that have no planned future and I could only comment on what the OP wrote.

These puppies have homes lined up, so do have a future.

I spent much of my Sunday assisting a misalliance litter, not mine, with a difficult whelping & eventual C section which the bitch owner hadn't got the money for and then showing how to hand feed the pups in case the bitch didn't accept them.

And?? How is that relevant to the OP??

MurphysMinder

Visit site
A lot of us on here may not agree with cross breed mating, and if someone posts on here considering doing such a mating I would be the first to try and talk them out of it by pointing out all the problems.
In this case however the OP has health tested (presumably with good results) parents and the bitch is possibly in whelp. Imho it is far better at this stage to offer helpful advice rather than frighten the poster away. We all know lots of things can go wrong in whelping, I am stressing about them myself with 2 weeks to go for Evie, at least if the OP feels able to continue posting and asking questions those of us with experience can offer advice and if heaven forbid there should be problems advise her how to deal with them.

Last edited:

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I have nothing to be ashamed of as I am not the back yard breeder producing puppies that have no planned future and I could only comment on what the OP wrote.

your initial comment though presumed that the op was irresponsibly breeding. It would be more appropriate and polite to perhaps ask the questions you are concerned about re parental testing/homes lined up before going in all guns blazing and lambasting the op.

Willeeckers

Visit site
your initial comment though presumed that the op was irresponsibly breeding. It would be more appropriate and polite to perhaps ask the questions you are concerned about re parental testing/homes lined up before going in all guns blazing and lambasting the op.

Well said,

This thread (or at least certain comments) are truly:eek:

Poor OP I hope it all goes well for you and your lovely girl, FWIW we bred a litter from our Labrador, over 11 yrs ago now. In the early stages of pregnancy I seem to remember her just being a little quieter than usual, like your girl she was very trim and she didn't really show until the last 2-3 weeks although she only had a litter of 3.

rhino

Visit site

Another one who won't post in here due to the behaviour of a few (although one in particular :rolleyes:). And I'm brave enough to post in NL on a daily basis :D

Bendyhorse

Visit site
OP good luck with your girl and any potential pups. I am sure your sensible approach at being prepared before the arrivals will fair you well. I too hope to see the pictures and don't take anything to heart, the beauty of a forum like this is that there is some fab advice that you can take home, the rest are just words that can be forgotten or dismissed.

xxx

Spring Feather

Visit site
From what I remember, when one of my dogs was pregnant years ago she remained a very active dog, slim and muscular, the whole way through her pregnancy. It was probably only in the last 2 weeks that she started to look pregnant. The hair around her teats became sparse and she had a rounder shape to her when she was lying upside down. When she was standing up it was barely noticable that she was pregnant. Like you I also had homes lined up for the puppies. Like you, so many people loved the bitch that they wanted one of her puppies. I ended up having too many homes lined up for the amount of puppies my bitch had. How exciting it is having puppies! I hope all goes well :)

mollichop

Visit site
I'll come out of the woodwork to admit that I no longer enjoy posting in this section as much as I used to.

S4sugar - I totally respect the work that you do and agree with you re backyard breeders and the sheer saturation of puppies in this country.

However, as others have said OP is not directly responsible for that.

Fingers crossed for your litter OP but no advice re the bith as i've never bred. If she is the girl in your sig then I have to say she looks lovely and trim :)

Eriskayowner

Visit site
Ok I'm being very brave here . . .

Thank you to the supportive people who posted helpful things on here - I did read them recently and was very grateful.

Amber had her pups on 1st April - typical!!

We built her her whelping area the day before (she wasn't due 'til the 4th but she was looking imminent!!) and put her in on the Saturday night. It was her crate that she's used to, covered with blankets and horse rugs to keep her warm and dry outside.

I heard some whining at about 1am which then stopped. I checked her at 5am to hear some squeaking noises and 4 pups. I checked her again at 7am to find 7 pups.

All clean. All feeding. All squeaking. And amber doing everything she should have been doing.

She's been the perfect mum. She's protective but not neurotic. It took 36 hours to get her to leave them to have a pee and a poo but she's happy to leave them for longer now (we leave the crate door open and allow her a bit of freedom). She's also happy to have the pups handled although she'll keep a close eye on them.

She had 7 pups - 3 yellow girls (2 are darker, one is almost white) and 4 black boys. We have homes for all of them.

I asked the local vets if they wanted to check mum and pups out but they were happy and said they didn't need to unless there were any problems :)

We've put Amber on a puppy mix and bought some ready-brek to put the pups on soon (we were recommended this when mother bought her puppy years ago). We have also got the wormer for next weekend (panacur paste, as recommended by the vets).

Just thought I'd update those that were supportive.

Below is a link to the Facebook album.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150720200620559.432763.515160558&type=3&l=ca60bf41a2

I have been warned that I'll get slated for not having blankets/towels under the pups - amber kept throwing them out. We have now taken the basket out (as the pups are gaining weight fast - they're all between 590g and 710g) so they're on Amber's mattress with LOTS of towels and blankets around.

Hope you like them.

Slinkyunicorn

www.rutlandhorseextras.co.uk
O WOW!:D:D:D:D

She is gaw-juss and as for her puppies.......................................................

MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEPS!:cool::D:D:D:D

I would like all of the chunky monkeys thankies:D:D:D

She is obvioulsy being a very good mum - lots more piccies thankies:D:D:D

In fact start another thread and post them:D

Sandstone1

Visit site
MM I think the cross is used quite frequently for assistance dogs so there must be something good about it :).

A high % of guide dogs are Lad x GR.
Not going to get involved in the arguement about breeding, but just wanted to point this out.
Guide dogs do however health test all breediing stock and they are first crosses ie both parents full Lab And GR

NeverSayNever

Visit site
congrats on the pups, they are gorgeous and so good they all have homes:D Mum looks so content:D

have you done plenty of research about weaning and using reddybrek? :eek: Id do a bit of googling if you havent already as there are much better alternatives and milk is not great. Just a thought, congrats again:cool::D

dunthing

Visit site
Gorgeous Pups and very clever Mum. She looks just like my old girl. We are just about to pick up our new black lab pup, who was NOT an accidental mating. So pleased that it's all worked out well for Mum, pups and for you, after all the nasty comments.