Should you change your horse's registered name? Is it unlucky?

Do you think changing a horse's name {Barn or registered} is unlucky ?

• Yes, I really think it's unlucky

Votes: 14 58.3%
  • No, I think it's OK to change names

Votes: 10 41.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gaby&Oreo

Visit site
Hi all!
So I just got my first horse, Oreo, a 14.3, 8yr old Grey Connemara mare. I think her barn name (Oreo) is super cute, but I don't like her registered name much, which is Kilteirnan Twinkle.:oops:

I'd like to change it, but everyone keeps telling it's unlucky ! I don't know what to do !

What do you think? I'm not really superstitious but I wan't to know what you guys think.

Have a lovely day!

;)

Chuffy99

Visit site
Agreed the breeder gets no credit and can’t follow their progeny if you don’t use his registered name

Visit site
I never used to be superstitious about name changes, until we changed my hubby’s mare’s name. Lost her very unexpectedly not long after. I’m not the superstitious type but I have to admit I wouldn’t do it again.

I'm Dun

Visit site
I happily change stable names but it wouldnt cross my mind to try and change a registered name. Luckily I think most breed societies wont let you anyway.

Equi

Visit site
The only horse whos name i changed (was not registered name, he didnt have a passport etc he was just called a random name im fairly certain was the first one to pop into the sellers head when i asked what his name was) was the only horse i had to sell for being a nightmare. Im not saying its unlucky, but i don't think i would change one again :p

But in your case, it is very very rude to change the name of a registered animal. Most breeders would be very annoyed.

Enfys

Visit site
I do not think it is unlucky, if something is going to happen it is going to happen whatever the horse is called.

Do I think you should change a registered name ? No. Absolutely not.

It is the horses identity, the breeders put time, money and effort to getting your horse on the ground, they bothered to register it, I think it is an insult to change registered names, even if it is permitted. Even if the horse is called something absolutely daft.

Widgeon

Visit site
My last horse had a very strange registered name, but it was given to him by his breeders for a reason. Whilst I might not have liked it, it acknowledged his breeding and heritage, and I wouldn’t have dreamt of changing it.

Yes agree with this - registered names often seem bonkers but they are part of the horse's breeding and pedigree and (I feel) acknowledge the work of the breeder. So while I don't think it would be unlucky in the slightest, I do think it would be rather rude and also unnecessary. Most of us only use barn / stable names anyway. Surely it's only at a show when the registered name might be read out? And then everyone will have horses with daft sounding registered names anyway!

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
I bought a foal from a friend. They had bought the mare in foal so although technically the breeders, weren't in my eyes. The mare was called Just-A-Pal and died due to a kick shattering her hind leg when the foal was only 3 months. I bought the foal at 17 weeks and called her 'My Friend Flicka'. She won quite a lot In Hand and then her first ever Ridden class with a new owner. She was sold on again and the new owner wanted to change her registered name because there was another horse in her area competing in the same classes with the same name. As the registeree I was asked for permission to do this and refused. I don't think I was very popular but I didn't care, the name fitted the mare and her circumstances and having won under that name I didn't want it changed.

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
I spend hours choosing a registered name for the few that I have bred. I try allsorts of combinations that are a nod to the sire and dam. A registered name with most breed societies will not be permitted to change. Not using their correct registered name when competing is an insult to the breeder.

eggs

Visit site
It's an old wife's tale that changing a name is unlucky. However as others have said, I certainly would not change a registered name - especially one with a stud prefix.

Spirit2021

Visit site
It not unlikely you can ask the passport company or just compete with the name you want most passport companies you’re not allowed to do because it’s a insult to the breeder which I think is stupid because most of them don’t have good breeding. some Irish passport company only allowed you to change it with permission from the breeder but that also very complicated. I was lucky enough my horse doesn’t have a registered name so I got to pick but I just used her stable name.

FinalCanter

Visit site
I don't think it's "unlucky", but not changing it makes your horse's breeding and paperwork easier to find. I personally wouldn't change it, but if the owner had a nickname for the horse...I would change that given that you'd be the new owner. But never the registered name.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
It not unlikely you can ask the passport company or just compete with the name you want most passport companies you’re not allowed to do because it’s a insult to the breeder which I think is stupid because most of them don’t have good breeding. some Irish passport company only allowed you to change it with permission from the breeder but that also very complicated. I was lucky enough my horse doesn’t have a registered name so I got to pick but I just used her stable name.

What do you mean by "don't have good breeding"? And why does that make a difference?

I've known so many horses given registered names that have personal meaning to the breeder in a way that a new owner might not realise, e.g. one of mine has a prefix that is a combination of the names of the three people that bred her and uniquely connects her to the two others in the world by the same stallion.