Show make up

Shavings

Visit site
Ok so here is one for you all

new are going to a local show a week Saturday (8th August)

instructor has been more then helpful with his advice on horse turn out, what I should be doing when

but then it comes to me, I have some cream jods with my tweed I can wear
But I am told I always look pale and look terrified because of it, my instructor advices I get some make up to make me less pale and maybe some thing for my lips, but I have only worn make up once... that’s my wedding day and I felt very much like a painted doll!!
So please some one help me, what do you wear for showing? How do you keep it on and stop it from being sweated of? Please nothing complicated think of a toddler with a crayon and that will be me!!

the local show is being used as a trial run for bigger shows so I am well aware this is was needed I would like to practice! Ps I don’t want to look like a lady of the night!!!

oh and any tips on how to get thick hair in a bun would be super helpful (it’s shoulder length) maybe a fake bun to stick on??

conniegirl

Visit site
Tbh, your best bet is not to wear a white shirt! White washes most people out.
Go for a cream, yellow or pale blue shirt.

as for make up I generally shove on some finishing powder, a bit of blusher (also powder) and some mascara. All normally applied using the car wing mirror to see myself in! a nice big puffy brush, lightly dust finishing powder all over my face, tiny bit of pinkish blusher on cheeks (using same puffy brush) and waterproof mascara.
How long is your hair?

Visit site
Make up isn't compulsory. If it's a beginner show and you don't feel confident wearing it then don't.

I usually just wear a little foundation (ivory colour to hide my bright red rosey cheeks ??) and a touch of eyeliner. It just makes everything all one colour and not blotchy. Depending on the weather I may have lip balm on - if the sun is beating down then I don't put it on as my lips would burn ?

shortstuff99

Currently Cambridgeshire! (or where ever I fancy)!
Visit site
I would look up makeup tutorials on youtube to get ideas of what you like.

If you need a bit of colour but don't want to feel caked then a tinted moisturiser is the way to go, you could also use a lip tint which also wouldn't slide off.

To fix makeup and make it look nice for the day a good setting spray does the trick.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Would you feel better about a tinted moisturiser/sunscreen? You could easily get hold of No7 or Clinique's version from Boots, either in person or online and you don't need to worry so much about the shade, just opt for light, Then just a touch of cream blusher and toning lip gloss to finish off. Sorry I can't help with the hair.

Shavings

Visit site
Tbh, your best bet is not to wear a white shirt! White washes most people out.
Go for a cream, yellow or pale blue shirt.

as for make up I generally shove on some finishing powder, a bit of blusher (also powder) and some mascara. All normally applied using the car wing mirror to see myself in! a nice big puffy brush, lightly dust finishing powder all over my face, tiny bit of pinkish blusher on cheeks (using same puffy brush) and waterproof mascara.
How long is your hair?

hair is about shoulder length maybe just below now, rather wild and thick tho!

conniegirl

Visit site
hair is about shoulder length maybe just below now, rather wild and thick tho!
Pop your hair in a low ponytail using a hairbobble, plait the pony tail, wrap the plait around the hair bobble and secure in place with another hairbobble and some grips, cover with a couple of bun nets just on the bun itself.
Hair net over the whole lot and then secure that in place with a hair bobble the same colour as your hair, at the base of the bun.

Mule

Visit site
Any bit of exercise turns me bright red but I can't see makeup staying on my face when I sweat but you may be different. Maybe some powder would stay on. It would also give you a bit of colour. I wouldn't wear liquid foundation cus it would run off with sweat. I'd skip the white shirt too. The exercise should put some colour in your cheeks.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I would just use some tinted moisturiser.

As for hair, I would do a low ponytail, twist round and secure in a crochet bun net with a scrunchie on top. I never use grips.

Good luck!

BeckyFlowers

Visit site
The only thing I would be putting on my face is SPF50. What a bizarre suggestion for him to make (plus it would have pissed me off even more coming from a bloke). Surely the judges are judging the horse and how it is presented, it's conformation etc rather than whether your contouring is beautifully done, and whether your lipstick compliments the shade of tweed. But then what do I know? The showing world is bonkers after all.

If you're not comfortable in make up (like me) then don't wear it. You want to enjoy yourself and be you, surely.

Sprat

Visit site
Decent foundation shouldn't run, even if sweaty and hot. Clinique is always a good option, but not the cheapest if you are not going to be using it regularly.

I have to agree with other above, if you are not comfortable with wearing makeup, don't. I really don't see how it will make that much of a difference, aside from making you feel self conscious!

jnb

Visit site
Please do not use a crochet bun net for showing, they are for dressage.
I have almost waist length hair and use a bun ring (and a lot of bands and 2 hairnets!) to achieve tidy and smart bun.
See this tutorial on how to do a bun - I can do it now with no mirror and it stays in all day. I obviously use a bun ring and not a sock to form my bun.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

will attach a pic of my hair and bun shortly

Attachments

• D09711EF-8420-4438-A882-6CA76324855F.jpeg
    D09711EF-8420-4438-A882-6CA76324855F.jpeg
    66.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 12E9E786-A878-4F04-A34D-2766813B64FF.jpeg
    12E9E786-A878-4F04-A34D-2766813B64FF.jpeg
    101.6 KB · Views: 15

SpotsandBays

Visit site
I usually blob abit of concealer on for my dark circles and some mascara on, but that’s because I like to buy photographer shots so I feel I have to make some effort ?

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
If your hair is thick and you don't like the idea of metal near your head when riding, then low plait, wind plait round itself hold on place with hair elastic, put net twice round bun, put second net over twist it and put rest over the test of your head.

MuddyMonster

Visit site
I've not had any issues with make up sweating off when riding but I dont show. I can totally appreciate wearing make up can feel foreign at first and if you'll feel too self conscience, then just go without. It's a horse showing class and supposed to be fun :)

If you want to go down the make up route, then I'd keep it basic with a tinted moisturiser , bronzer or blusher powder, a touch of mascara and a tinted lip balm. Nice and natural :)

A make up setting spray will help and they aren't
expensive. My make up does a day at work, some form of exercise class and riding and tends to just need a lunchtime touch up.

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
I usually put a bit of foundation on my chin, and cheeks, whenever I go out on my trike, because if I get hit by a car I don't want the hospital to think that I'm dying simply because I'm pale as a ghost. Even though the bicycling usually makes me sweat, my foundation is usually mostly there when I come home.

It is the horse that judges should be judging, but I presume that if they have two horses on a similar score to choose between, then it might tip the scale in the other horse's favour, if you hypothetically looks pale enough to be about to keel over.

If you do decide to try using a bit of make up, get used to using it before the show. I haven't timed myself, but I doubt that putting on one, sometimes two, squirts of of foundation takes me even a minute to do.

rosiesowner

Visit site
Apologies if any of this has already been said but I haven't read all replies yet! If you really don't want to wear makeup then don't! It's totally your choice and comes down to what you're comfortable with.

If you do, here are some tips that I find work as someone who loves makeup and glam for shows!

For makeup that will stay on through riding...

Before even starting makeup, exfoliating and even shaving your face (completely normal for ladies to have a bit o' facial hair but creating a smooth, moisturised base will improve the look of any base makeup tenfold).

PRIMER IS KEY!! There are so many different types at different prices but the best one I've tried is this one.
https://www.superdrug.com/Make-Up/F...xUKq2Lxn0hfb-6i6hFBoCkF4QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Goes on under foundation/tinted moisturiser. Rub it in, pack it a bit more on places pores are more pronounced (so for me that's over my nose). Give it a minute to settle into your skin before applying foundation/bb cream/whatever you're using as a base.

Then finish that with powder. You can also take the powder along to touch up if you fancy throughout the day.
https://www.superdrug.com/Make-Up/Face/Face-Powder/e-l-f-B-Bare-Finishing-Powder-Fair-Light/p/735273

Make sure you're blending down under your chin and down your neck to avoid any lines. You might think it looks weird and not like skin texture but I promise nobody else will notice.

Depending on your brows and the colour/thickness of the hairs you may or may not want to fill them in.
https://www.superdrug.com/Make-Up/E...e-l-f-Instant-Lift-Brow-Pencil-Taupe/p/735216

If using a sheer foundation/bb cream I don't bother with blush as when I warm up you can still see the redness slightly anyway, so adding blush on top of that makes me look a bit crazy!!

For lips, cheap creamy lipsticks in the twist up tubes are useless and don't last. A liquid one with satin finish is better. Tip is don't choose one that's your exact lip shade, go very slightly darker.
These say matte but I've found they dry to satin.
https://www.superdrug.com/Make-Up/L...eup-Soft-Matte-Lip-Cream---Stockholm/p/773237

Mascara 100% needs to be waterproof and I wouldn't go without it if any other makeup on as it almost makes it more obv you're wearing makeup when your lashes are bare. I quite like using brown mascara when going for a really neutral look!
https://www.superdrug.com/Make-Up/Eye-Makeup/Mascara/Rimmel-100%-Waterproof-Mascara-Brown-2/p/786889

I recommend coconut oil for taking it all off as it literally just dissolves it off your face, especially more stubborn waterproof products.

Seems like a lot of products but I promise it's not! And if you practise a couple of times before show day you'll be a dab hand in no time :p

Edited to add: deffo worth buying a beauty sponge to apply base makeup with. Get it damp but not wet under the tap (cold water) then use it to buff base makeup into your skin in patting motions to avoid streaks and make it look natural as poss :)

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
I'd concentrate on the horse, 90% is the preparation done at home. IF you feel the need to put on a face, I'd go with a tinted moisturiser as easy to apply and the vaseline rosy lips lip balm.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I wear what make up I wear most days which is a powder foundation mascara bit of blusher and a light colour lipstick, I like wearing make up at shows as I think I could be mistaken for a man, I have very short hair and no chest to speak of.

Trouper

Visit site
I'm glad that I am not the only one finding an instructor advising on make up slightly weird!! Have the confidence to be yourself. I would be far too busy making sure the horse gleamed, the tack gleamed, as did my boots. My OH always says that he can never recognise anyone under a riding hat anyway so make up would make no difference.!!

fankino04

Visit site
I agree that if not comfortable in make up then I don't know why you should have to bother, if you think you need it have a look at beauty and the boutique on Facebook, really good minimal makeup.