showing dispare!! cant be bothered any more.

Uraeus

Visit site
I went to our local show the weekend as I do most months in the summer. Just took my youngster to get him used to company and hustle & bustle ect. Now he's yhe type of horse that either the judge loves or hates, however. I entered the show hunter class which he is almost perfectly true to a hunter type, confirmation is virtually perfect, he's straight as a die and he behaved the best be has ever done in a show ring... We ended up last in the line up, a club official came first, with a horse that would be more suited to a hack class, very light of bone. Second was a woman who shows professionally at county level with a stunning horse, perfect hunter type. 3rd was a woman who again was something to do with the club, who's horse refused point blank to trot at all, just stuck out it's neck and flattened back it's ears.

Please forgive the ranting but I'm not a sore loser. There were horses there that I would have happily come second, 3rd, 4th to, whatever, but the horses that won every single class were either Arabs, TB's or the lightest horse in the class. Members of the club committee always got first no matter what their horse looked like and I'm really frustrated. Thé show had a great turn out and loads of younger people were there, getting into the sport but with such biased judges how is any young person supposed to enjoy their day out? Anyone who didn't have an Arab had no chance the minute they walked in the ring.

Has anyone else found showing to be like this or am I really in the wrong area?!

Wheels

Visit site
Unfortunately that is showing, especially at local level it really is down to the judges perception of a good horse. Sounds like your judge liked the lighter framed horses. Do you have any photos of your horse?

ArtyLinz

Visit site
I would just say that is just showing. Generally the higher the level the better/fairer the judging. I consistently do better at County and Agricultural shows than I do at Local/RC to the point where I don't even bother going to them anymore. It's a shame because local level/RC class numbers are dwindling and they need all the support they can get, but poor judging ruins it for everyone. Don't be despondant, forget it and move on to your next show :)

PS. The number of judges that are seemingly unaware of the difference between a Hack, Riding Horse, Hunter is astounding!!!

Last edited:

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Can i come to your area? Where i am you need a (fat) Welsh, Shetland or Shire, so I'd love to go to pro arab local shows. ;)

It is frustrating, but if your horse was well behaved it was a good experience for his education, so not a total loss. :)

Uraeus

Visit site
Hoping this works... lol

P1020092_zps2c591d9e.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
It's always been like this. However as ArtyLinz says, in general the larger the show , the better the judging. Don't be too hard on the local judges though, a lot of them are often local horse people who have been browbeaten into being there for little reward and will pick the horses that they prefer rather than what is officially the best type for the class.

Uraeus

Visit site
Thankyou :) I love him everso! And I wasnt at all displeased with how he did, just disappointed he had no recognition I spose :/

Goldenstar

Visit site
As Gloi says small local show judge was probally forced into it , I used to get asked despite the fact I hate showing and can see no point to it what so ever .
Your young horse had a day out you saw your friends .
Its hardly a cause for despair .

Goldenstar

Visit site
Meanlt to add showing is very subjective and your horse is not my type of hunter at all at all that does not mean he's not lovely just he's not what I admire as it said its completely subjective.

Uraeus

Visit site
Which is fair enough, I understand that, but it wasnt just my classes, the judge seemed to be ignoring showmanship, turnout and confirmation. She was picking out the lighter boned horses in every class :/

Goldenstar

Visit site
The judge was not necessary very qualified to do the job I also think that she probally thought the religious beliefs of the horses was not really relevant to their ability to do the job , as even Hindu horses can hunt now we follow a fox based trail .

ihatework

Visit site
Your horse is beautiful :)
But I would say not a true hunter stamp, and not turned out 100% correct for a hunter. I obviously cannot comment on the others in your class.
PS - it's 'conformation' not 'confirmation'

Uraeus

Visit site
He wasnt turned out as a show hunter, but nor was the one that won the class. The only one that was was the lady who shows at a much higher level, the one that won it was a TB sort. That is my rant, not that we didnt win, at the end of the day my boy is 3 and I only do inhand classes because I can't ride him yet. Come next year were dressaging it!

Arizahn

Visit site
I plan on doing some in hand stuff next year with my boy. He is probably going to be over height for his breed though, so will stick to the Best Turned Out / Coloured Horse side of things. As apparently they can unregister you if you are too tall!??! Hmmph - given the amount I have spent so far on that passport, no thank you!

We shall aim for last place, and enjoy ourselves! I will be the rather frazzled looking one hobbling around on a stick with the resigned looking bay roan <possibly planning on greying out> Connemara supervising her, btw :)

Uraeus

Visit site
This very true , dressage has it's own set of issues learning to shrug and have a nice day is always a good thing to be able to do.

I would hope that in dressage, the judges won't put a horse that did a blatently bad test or even missed parts out, first just because they thought it looked nicer.

MasterBenedict

Visit site
He is absolutely stunning and just my type!

I think it's just sometimes luck of the draw on the day with local judges and yes your right - appaloosa's are very much a marmite horse. Don't feel too put out though, there is always next time. I was incredibly lucky this summer in that my appy did extremely well in his classes - so there is hope! Chin up and on to the next one :)

ihatework

Visit site
I would hope that in dressage, the judges won't put a horse that did a blatently bad test or even missed parts out, first just because they thought it looked nicer.

I think you need to take a deep breath and forget about it. Otherwise you run the risk in loosing enjoyment in your own horse/day out

MagicMelon

Visit site
Showing is dreadful, it is! Its ALL down to opinion at the end of the day which is why its so much better to go jumping ;) I remember competing my Welsh D in a ridden M&M class, he was 15.2hh and the judge actually came up to me and asked if I was in the wrong class as this was for M&Ms, I clearly stated he was VERY obviously a pure reg Welsh D! So off we went, and how shocked was I to be pulled in LAST in the line up (after horse had done a lovely display as usual) BELOW ponies that couldn't even canter or had bucked AND some were even PLAITED?! I was utterly horrified to say the least, especially as I'd won plenty on this horse including championships...

Arizahn

Visit site
Showing is dreadful, it is! Its ALL down to opinion at the end of the day which is why its so much better to go jumping ;) I remember competing my Welsh D in a ridden M&M class, he was 15.2hh and the judge actually came up to me and asked if I was in the wrong class as this was for M&Ms, I clearly stated he was VERY obviously a pure reg Welsh D! So off we went, and how shocked was I to be pulled in LAST in the line up (after horse had done a lovely display as usual) BELOW ponies that couldn't even canter or had bucked AND some were even PLAITED?! I was utterly horrified to say the least, especially as I'd won plenty on this horse including championships...

Arrrgghhh - no, don't be saying that about jumping! You are lending weight to my pony's argument!

patriotic

Visit site
Unfortunately I think this is just showing, it's personal opinion and can be very annoying. We showed our old rose grey Anglo Arab in a search for a star class and despite looking lovely and being well behaved he came near enough last in the line up behind horses that had bucked and been badly behaved, but all these horses were dark bay, chestnut or black with few markings. But then other judges would adore him, just the way it goes with showing I'm afraid :( don't tend to do it anymore as current horse is a self harmer and is covered in all sorts of little scars.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Which is fair enough, I understand that, but it wasnt just my classes, the judge seemed to be ignoring showmanship, turnout and confirmation. She was picking out the lighter boned horses in every class :/

Well really she should only have been judging on conformation, the showmanship and turnout are only there to enhance the horse's confo. As others have said the judge was probably there out of the goodness of her heart, or very very little reward. RCs struggle to get judges, because they can't afford to even pay expenses in many cases, judges are lucky if they get a decent lunch and a bottle of 'thank you' wine.
Your horse isn't the type of hunter I like either, so wouldn't have been inclined to place him either, depending of course on the opposition. You also need to remember that at a bigger show hunters would be divided into weights, while your judge had all 3 in the same class.
If you want to show him in hunter classes again, I would get him a flat hunter bridle, rather than the raised and stitched Riding Horse type of bridle that he is wearing in your photo. I would also get a bit of weight off him, I wonder if the judge was making the point that she doesn't like horses to be overweight.
At least your horse was well-behaved on the day and you have something to talk about to your horsey friends.
Better luck next time!

RLS

Visit site
OP, your horse is very beautiful, don't you listen to any daft judge that doesn't have a clue!
I used to take my youngster to in-hand showing classes, just to be out and about with my baby and get him used to stuff. Generally came bottom of the line, despite him being the most stunningly perfect horse ever born (my totally unbiased opinion of course). Once came in behind a horse which was quite obviously lame (but had glitter on its hooves). Another owner in that class did complain about that judge.
Now my boy is old enough to ride - have given up on the showing, just do fun stuff like jumping. :)

9tails

Visit site

Yes, you'd hope wouldn't you? See if he'll jump, that way all's fair.

TigerTail

Visit site
This is why I dont compete! Makes a fun hobby with an animal you love a blood sport lol

Despair is spelt like this btw!!!