Showing in dressage tack

sgcgrif3

Visit site
I normally compete dressage but I’m going with a friend to a local showing show next weekend. My boy is a 17hh thoroughbred ex racer.

I have the option of either competing in a black dressage bridle and black dressage saddle or brown Hunter bridle and black dressage saddle.

Would it be better to go all same coloured tack, or for a proper show bridle even if it’s a different colour to saddle?

I do have a brown GP saddle, but all the stitching is torn and it’s just not in great shape. I assume the dressage saddle would be better than this?

MissTyc

Visit site
for local showing, I'd use whatever was most comfortable for you and horse. Agree that less bling is better; unmatched colours not the end of the world. Have fun!

sgcgrif3

Visit site
It’s just a plain black anatomical dressage bridle. Plain black browband with no bling and crank noseband. Not into bling myself! ?

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
I started showing my lad ROR last year. He is a chunky tb so I showed him as a hunter type. I didn't have a suitable bridle so I bought a real cheapie òff the Internet. Cost me around £30 with reins!! I also used my event saddle. He won all his classes.

sgcgrif3

Visit site
I started showing my lad ROR last year. He is a chunky tb so I showed him as a hunter type. I didn't have a suitable bridle so I bought a real cheapie òff the Internet. Cost me around £30 with reins!! I also used my event saddle. He won all his classes.

That’s good to hear! Never been into showing myself but it’s a good opportunity to go to a venue I want to compete dressage at with no pressure. Just didn’t want to make a total tit of us?

jnb

Visit site
Non dressage (i.e flat hunter) bridle is correct, if a Riding Horse or Hack type, with a coloured browband.
Tweed jacket, shirt and tie - NOT black for ladies (but if that's all you have it will be ok at local level) and definitely not a stock or white / black gloves which should absolutely never be seen in the showing ring. (Brown gloves, shirt and tie unless you're at a Royal show or in an evening performance)
Please wear your hair in a proper bun not baggy ponytail in a hair net.
Shirring elastic in a toning colour with your jacket looks much smarter than string.
It is correct to carry a short brown leather whip or cane but NOT a dressage whip.

Visit site
Make sure your numnah is close fitting to your saddle. No big squares please.

I judged a lass in the Veteran class the other day who had a big brown square saddle pad, denim coloured breeches and a stock shirt but no stock. I absolutely adored her horse, his way of going etc but her turnout let her down massively. And so she was 3rd. Correctly turned out she would have won.

sgcgrif3

Visit site

I judged a lass in the Veteran class the other day who had a big brown square saddle pad, denim coloured breeches and a stock shirt but no stock. I absolutely adored her horse, his way of going etc but her turnout let her down massively. And so she was 3rd. Correctly turned out she would have won.

I have friends on my yard that show every weekend so I think they would go mad if I went out with a dressage square! ?
I have correct turnout for me I think, it’s just tack for my horse. Which bridle option would you prefer as a judge? Plain black dressage bridle (shires velociti) or a brown hunter bridle to go with a black dressage saddle? I can’t do much about the saddle!

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I have friends on my yard that show every weekend so I think they would go mad if I went out with a dressage square! ?
I have correct turnout for me I think, it’s just tack for my horse. Which bridle option would you prefer as a judge? Plain black dressage bridle (shires velociti) or a brown hunter bridle to go with a black dressage saddle? I can’t do much about the saddle!

I think as long the bridle isn't a really light brown it will look fine a friend of mine does local showing in a black dressage saddle and brown double bridle.

Pinkvboots

Visit site

Oh lord I hope you told her ?

humblepie

Visit site
Brown bridle and black saddle will be fine. Dressage saddle will show his shoulders off and as you have yourself sorted to high standard it will all look fine. Good luck.

Leandy

Visit site
Brown bridle and black saddle if the bridle is a more correct type than your dressage one. I doubt anyone will notice. We have a brown bridle and black saddle for dressage. I don't notice myself anymore......