Showjumping Ledgends

Gembo

Visit site
whoes your favourite showjumper of all time ?

i must admit i have a few...........Pennwood Forge Mill (because he looked so ordinary just goes to show looks are deceiving) also........probably because my dad owned them but Strapped For Cash and Oryans Choice who both competed in the hoys foxhunter in the same year :D

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
Ryans Son - another milkmans horse lookalike who pasted all the pretty horses into the ground. And loved Wiston Bridget too (hann x shire!). And Eddie Macken's Boomerang.

ahhhhh....

YasandCrystal

Visit site
I loved Ryan's Son for his ability and 'Easter Parade' for his gorgeous looks. The diminuitive Stroller was amazing but before my time :D

Last edited:

samuelhorse

Visit site
Marius, Philco,Tigre,Buttevant Boy, Towerlands Anglezarke, Penwood Forge Mill, Ryans Son, Milton, Boomerang,
Shows our age< horses of the late 70's n early 80's. Dont seem to remember the horses names now a days like I did when i was a kid.............................

Doncella

Visit site
Penwood Forge Mill what a character. We were watching the King George V Cup on the TV and I think Alwin Schockemole had just jumped clear in the jump off ahead by a country mile and in came Forgie dad laughed and said 'No chance'. He won.
Other faves:
Stroller
Uncle Max
Tigre
Philco and Grebe both TBs and so elegant.
Vibart another character
Buttevant Boy
Claret
Lucky Strike another TB and an ex show hack

Note I think Tigre is the only warmblood in the above list.

Last edited:

onemoretime

Visit site
Penwood Forge Mill what a character. We were watching the King George V Cup on the TV and I think Alwin Schockemole had just jumped clear in the jump off ahead by a country mile and in came Forgie dad laughed and said 'No chance'. He won.
Other faves:
Stroller
Uncle Max
Tigre
Philco and Grebe both TBs and so elegant.
Vibart another character
Buttevant Boy
Claret
Lucky Strike another TB and an ex show hack

Note I think Tigre is the only warmblood in the above list.

Incidentially, you mentioning Tigre. In the 1980's I sent for some magnetic pads which were only just beginning to be used with horses then and with all the details were cuttings showing Tigre. He had been bought by a young girl for around £1,500 at a sale, he had been very badly treated and hated men, he also had a arthritic knee and she sed these pads on him and found that it helped him a lot. she used to show jump him at small unaffilliated shows. He had a very good home with her and I dont think she would have ever parted with him. It just shows though were some of them end up poor things, he was never the same after he was sold from under Caroline Bradley.

Hells Bells

Visit site
Penwood Forge Mill also, what a cracker of a horse.

Milton- did anyone not love him?!

Ryan's Son... there are probably so many more too.

I know he's not a showjumper, but also love watching little Lenamore. I think i'm all for the unlikely ones making a show of all the sj bred horses.

And the fictional hero of my younger days was The Pie from national velvet, i was in love with that horse too!

Doncella

Visit site
Incidentially, you mentioning Tigre. In the 1980's I sent for some magnetic pads which were only just beginning to be used with horses then and with all the details were cuttings showing Tigre. He had been bought by a young girl for around £1,500 at a sale, he had been very badly treated and hated men, he also had a arthritic knee and she sed these pads on him and found that it helped him a lot. she used to show jump him at small unaffilliated shows. He had a very good home with her and I dont think she would have ever parted with him. It just shows though were some of them end up poor things, he was never the same after he was sold from under Caroline Bradley.

Tigre was past his best when he went to Caroline Bradley and she totally revived him ,so it was hardly surprising that he could not replicate his form after he had been sold. That was a very sad business,

Tangled

Visit site
Winston Bridget - I used to love watching her on the telly going round hickstead :)
Lando, Milton (obviously!), Baloubet du Rouet, Oki Doki and Hickstead :)

annaellie

Visit site
I bet you did then it was around that time did you jump wembly as it was back then. If it's same pony what a little cracker :D

Escada2004

Visit site
I bet you did then it was around that time did you jump wembly as it was back then. If it's same pony what a little cracker :D

Yes annaellie i jumped wembley with her, had the last fence! But finished third in the abstract challenge, great fun :D there will never be another Mojo, she was such a super star even if she was a bit qwerky ;)

YasandCrystal

Visit site
Speaking of sad ends, Harvey Smith's Graffitti ended up being sold at a low class horse sales for £1,000 in more recent years and the buyer contacted Harvey, who was saddened and shocked at Graffittis sale in such a way :(

pigsmight:)

Visit site
Oo I have lots of faves but I suppose hickstead was just superb what a little powerhouse he made it look like he was out having a bit of a laugh round those huge tracks. I also really like Cartier Z Oh and Tina Fletchers promised land :) xx