Shutting down in competition

Sprat

Visit site
Looking for thoughts and advice on horses shutting down at competitions. My mare has been out competing for the last 3 years or so, more so in the last 18 months, generally going out to parties at least once a month if not more. We travel to my instructors yard once or twice a month, and try to vary where we compete as much as possible.

Whenever we go to a new venue, she becomes very tense, nervous, spooky and drops completely behind my leg. She will settle down after a bit of a warm up, but she tends to stay behind my leg and isn’t particularly supple. It’s really frustrating, as the usual techniques I would employ at home just don’t work when we are out somewhere new. If I try to push to get her more forward thinking, her movement becomes more up and down than forward (which is generally her go to if something is hard), she would rather ping into canter than lengthen the stride in trot for example. Has anyone experienced this and can give me any pearls of wisdom? We are throwing easy marks away and it’s getting me down as I know we both have the potential to get some good tests under our belt, but unless we stay competing at the same few venues each time we go out it’s not happening!

Competing at Novice and working Elementary at home, for reference.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I have one like this, she's just an anxious sort and up to a point I just have to accept that she's like this.

She has improved but some days it's still as though we haven't warmed up, when you go from the warm up to the test arena.
I have done a few things over the years.
I've stayed at one venue for a few shows in a row, so she has grown in confidence at one place. That has a positive effect on both of us because she's happier, so I don't end up over-riding, and we get a more relaxed performance.
Clinics that run in test arenas definitely help because you get more time to work through the tension.
I've become more demanding about getting a quick reaction to my aids, so that even if she goes totally into herself in the test arena, I try to get at least the basic "forward" reinstalled in the length of a long side (doesn't always work!!)
I've done some freestyles. This really helped because in my floorplan I canter first, which is easier for her when she is tight, and then she starts breathing to do the trotwork at the end. (Mine is always tight in trot and easier in canter). My floorplans are usually quite demanding but because we do the easy pace first we tend to get reasonable scores for the technical bit.

Things rarely appear as bad to the judge as they feel to the rider. I have days where I feel like I would get a better score if I got off and carried her round the trotwork, but the judge doesn't see that and we get some 7s anyway ;) It helps me to remember that and to be patient even when I feel that we are mincing around - if I get too involved and try too hard to make her forward she just shuts down more so it ends up looking desperate.
I think it's almost got easier as we have gone up the levels as I can concentrate on the correctness of the movements which become more technical, rather than it being SO heavily weighted by the freedom of the pace. K is at small tour now. I'm not sure how I will maintain activity in a piaffe or passage in a test but she enjoys the higher level work so she might surprise me!

Leandy

Visit site
It may be worth trying two warm ups if you can make time at the competition. As soon as you get to the competition get the horse out and let it see the sights and warm up as you would at home then put it way for for a bit. Then do a second briefer warm up directly before competing in the usual way but hopefully it can be briefer. I haven't tried this myself but have seen others suggest it and it makes sense. Gives the horse more time to settle without the initial pressure for both horse and rider that you have to be ready for your test in a fixed time period, so depending on how the horse feels you can do as little or as much as you need for the first warm up and adapt the time you allow for the second accordingly.

milliepops

Visit site
2 warm ups is definitely useful for some, my more yee-haa tense one found that useful. It doesn't work for Kira because she still gets tight in the test arena even if she's very happy in the warm up, and I have just wasted petrol ;) but it's definitely worth a try. As is "throwing" a test, i.e. just going in with the intention of experimenting with different tactics to get her to let you ride her and genuinely making the score irrelevant.

The problem with a tense and shut down horse is you effectively can't force it to relax ;) the ones that run off with you are easier because that's quite often a simpler problem to solve.

Sprat

Visit site
MP, yours sounds very similar - the canter work isn't quite as laboured as the trot work so probably starting the warm up with more canter work may encourage her to start to work over her back a little more.

I don't think I help the situation as I tend to micromanage her when she is like this, and it really does neither of us any favours as she is better with minimal input by me. It’s so frustrating, and it’s costing me a fortune as anywhere new we go I am now entering 2 tests whereas I would normally only bother with 1. Our first test at Vale View this weekend was just woeful as it totally blew her brains going into the indoor with the banners and wall hangings everywhere. The second test was marginally better, but still not our best work.

I came out of the 2nd test and did get a good soft stretchy trot as a cool down – it was like she finally started breathing after the last halt. A double warm up is an interesting idea, I hadn’t considered that. I think more arena hires at scary big venues are on the cards.

It baffles me when you see horses that have never been to venues before and just mooch around with no issues, I’m sure I must be missing a trick in the training.

milliepops

Visit site
definitely lots of arena hire, that did help mine - and I approached it with the mindset of "we are here for a test" rather than we will bimble round for half an hour coming to terms with everything. Then you can really practice different approaches and get a feel for what works.
I also canter round before the bell goes regardless of what pace the test starts in, again because mine actually breathes in canter and it gives me a better chance of getting a swingy trot instead of a mincing one.

The mental aspect is definitely the hardest bit and you really have to be in control of your own emotions ;) getting busier as a rider generally doesn't improve the horse when they are like this, if you can relax and breathe a bit yourself you will either encourage the horse to do the same (best case) or at least you won't get worn out yourself! :p

Sprat

Visit site
Good shout about the canter before the test as well, I will definitely try that. Annoyingly, because December is manic I likely won't be back out now until early Jan, but I may try and squeeze in an arena hire over the Xmas break.

I could do with giving myself a mental canter around the arena as well. We have only just joined BD (having done a season of Quest in the summer) and I know that I clam up in the warm up which doesn’t help. I knew the quality of combinations would be higher at BD, but the couple of comps I’ve been out at so far, I’ve been astounded at the phenomenal competitors and horses, which has knocked my confidence in our partnership a bit I think. All of which doesn’t help with the backwards thinking.

I do miss the days when I used to hack to shows rather than tow the trailer – at least then I could have a stiff gin beforehand!

Mahoganybay

Visit site
I am quite new to dressage and my mare has given me some worries at anything new we were trying to do.

So now I visit the venue twice before I compete there, I appreciate that this may not be doable for everyone.

First visit is with an Instructor either my own or if she can’t meet me there I look for someone that can.

Second visit I hire the arena on my own, work on schooling and practice my tests. If all is well I book on the next dressage competition. If my mare is still struggling, I hire the arena a few more times.

Third visit is the competition itself, I figure by this time nothing much has changed, the only difference is I am in my show gear.

I also have a set routine of warming up, which I do at home, on my lessons, when I hire an arena and at competition. i feel it calms my mare and me, gives us both focus.

Oh, and accoustic ear covers 🙏😊

Leandy

Visit site
Do you have a regular trainer? It would also be worth asking them to go to a competition or two with you and help you with the warm up. It sounds as though you may have a bit of a confidence issue yourself and the support of having your trainer there a few times will help you relax and focus on your riding so you can perform at your best.

Rumtytum

Have Marmite, will travel
Visit site
Reading this thread with interest. I’m way down the dressage food chain from everyone on here, just moved from Intro to Prelim at my riding school, usually on a lovely gelding with zero interest and once on a talented but nervy mare. Tests are at the school so it’s not as if the little mare doesn’t know the place really well! She’s fine and relaxed in the indoor warm up arena with lots of equine company, then puts one hoof inside the test arena (walled on all sides so you can’t see anyone else) and she freezes, it’s like riding a girder in the Firth of Forth bridge. Around 2/3rds through she starts to relax. Pity as she has a lot of ability (mixed with even more nervousness). My instructor says it’s always been the same, but as suggested on here I’m going to try a canter before the bell goes and see if that gets her breathing.

Sprat

Visit site
I do have a regular trainer yes, and I keep meaning to ask her to come and warm me up at some point as it would be good to have some eyes on the ground when we get like this

milliepops

Visit site
I do have a regular trainer yes, and I keep meaning to ask her to come and warm me up at some point as it would be good to have some eyes on the ground when we get like this
I agree, that's a great idea.

Don't be fazed by the competition at BD. I know exactly what you mean, at my first BD show we pulled into the lorry park which was facing the warm up and I begged my friend to just take me home without unloading :oops: that was 14 years ago now... I won my class and never looked back. I've had a selection of not-proper-dressage-horses affiliated and always just viewed it as being on my own journey with them, and if we collect some frillies along the way then that's lovely.

scats

Visit site
I have one that shuts down too. Well, she goes completely inward in the trotwork and then explodes in the canter. She’s quite spooky and nervy in general and despite the fact we’ve been competing at one venue for over a year now, the last test we did this year was a nightmare because the venue had dared to move some boards and Millie just lost the plot. Once one thing has upset her, she loses it over everything.

Things I’ve learnt and am going to implement next year- she needs a longer warm up. Because she feels quite stilted and stuffy, I have a tendency to not warm her up for as long as I should and she’s never quite ‘with me’ in the test, which doesn’t do me any favours when she does have a paddy about something.
I really need to do more arena hires aswell.
She’s quite a stressy horse when she’s out anyway, she finds the lorry park quite intimidating and she tends to look like a rabbit in headlights a lot of the time. It’s frustrating because I feel like I ride a completely different horse when I’m out to the one I ride at home.

humblepie

Visit site
I am fortunate it isn't a problem I have but to get experience of working your horse in a competition like environment, perhaps look at test riding days or joining a riding club and going to clinics/dressage test practice days. Okay, there won't be all the stuff going on like there is at a competition but there will be things going on to distract your horse, often more so than once you are in the actual arena at an event but it takes the presssure off both you and your horse and hopefully you can work through things. Good luck

ShowJumperL95

Visit site
My pony is the same when we go out, but when you're jumping its a bit more problematic :(

Fiona

I have the same issue with my one when it comes to showjumping, some days we fly round and some days not at all. He warms up like a dream but then as soon as we walk into the main arena he just completely switches off, won't go forward, will nap, not concentrate on the fences. It's so infuriating as he has so much talent and I want us too succeed.

I have found what has helped us get our warm up is doing it at home then doing it at a competition helps him realize it's the norm.

Just need to figure out how to get the same mentality in the main ring from the warm up haha

Fiona

Visit site
I have the same issue with my one when it comes to showjumping, some days we fly round and some days not at all. He warms up like a dream but then as soon as we walk into the main arena he just completely switches off, won't go forward, will nap, not concentrate on the fences. It's so infuriating as he has so much talent and I want us too succeed.

I have found what has helped us get our warm up is doing it at home then doing it at a competition helps him realize it's the norm.

Just need to figure out how to get the same mentality in the main ring from the warm up haha

I think with my fellow it might be the case of getting out to more new venues, but its hard to get organised at this time of year to go further afield.

Fiona

little_critter

Visit site
Sorry to resurrect this thread but it’s an issue I’m having at the moment.
I can see that lots of arena hire seems to be the answer. But when you do these arena hires do you just ride as you normally do at home, or do you do anything different to give your horse confidence and a good outing?

Mahoganybay

Visit site
Sorry to resurrect this thread but it’s an issue I’m having at the moment.
I can see that lots of arena hire seems to be the answer. But when you do these arena hires do you just ride as you normally do at home, or do you do anything different to give your horse confidence and a good outing?

I always follow the same patterns in my schooling as I do at home. That way then she quick quickly listens to me rather than any reaction to a new environment.

It feels like she almost breathes a sigh of relief that the questions I’m asking her, she knows the answer.

Maybe, a difference is that I put on her acoustic ears and she gets a double shot of calmer.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
I've always been if the mindset that we're just riding, just like we do at home. Some days at home we ride more relaxed, some days we work harder. So I get on and ride like we'd be at home. Sense how the horse is feeling and just ride it. I don't get in my head about it being a competition or clinic with some big name clinician. Horse goes well with this approach and seems to accept my "same sh*t, different day, different place" ? type of thinking. It's just riding.

I did take him to a few arena hires initially, and then progressed to clinics, then competing. Sometimes he's actually less spooky away from home...he doesn't know what's different when it's all new ? but really, it I'm nonchalant about it, he learns that it's just another (potentially silly) "thing" that we do.

If he's behind the leg at home I ride it the same way I would at competition. I think some people are more timid when out and about and/or afraid to have an "ugly" moment. Or the stress gets to them and they snap a bit/lose composure.

milliepops

Visit site
yeah i also ride as i do at home. and then when i feel like that is getting easy, do a short warm up and ride though a test.