Shy has colic. Panicking.

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
I knew as soon as I saw him in the field he wasn't right. Got him in, and he ate some tea, but refused a carrot, so I knew he was ill. head hanging, and he kept lifting his lip in a half "flehmen". Had a normal poo though.

Called a lovely vet out, he's had buscapan and bute injections, and after a bit of walking he started nibbling on his hay.

I cannot think what has caused it. i changed his hay to soaked a week ago as he is getting fat, and all he gets is Lite Balancer. The only other thing is perhaps he gorged on grass, but he's in the same field every day.

Vet said he is porky, got to muzzle him, soak his hay overnight, and NO RUG even though he's clipped.

But right now, I'm so worried - have learnt a lot about colic on here, never had to deal with it before.

Last edited:

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
Thank you. We are going back down later tonight to check up on him. The lovely YO is keeping an eye out in the meantime.

it seems like it's come out of nowhere. Shy really doesn't do "stressed out" he is so laid back.

southerncomfort

Visit site
Huge ((hugs)).

Try not to panic. My little mare had mild colic 4 years ago and has never had it since. Never did find out what had caused it.

Fingers crossed that Shy recovers very quickly. Thinking of you.

xx

Elsiecat

Visit site
Try not to worry. Although I know that's easier said than done, one of the welshies had colic a few weeks ago and I was worried sick! She's about 20 and as far as I know has never had it before.
Goodness knows. Poor shy x

southerncomfort

Visit site
I'd never seen a horse colic before when my mare went down with it. Absolutely frightened the life out of me.

Hopefully when you check on him later he'll be happy as larry and wondering why Mum has come to tuck him in. xx

Megibo

Visit site
My mare got colic few nights ago, lots of very dry compact poo stuck in there ! Vet said lots of sloppy feed to keep things moving and touch wood it hasn't come back.

sending **viiiiiibes**!

Dizzydancer

Visit site
sounds like you acted quickly so keep positive.
my boy has had gas colic a couple a times and that was scary enough.
just one of those things.
ps Im not a vet but if he is clipped completely and its raining i would put a rain sheet on or you may end up with a chill.

neddymad

Visit site
Sending lots of positive vibes. Could well be the grass it's been very mild causing the sugar levels to rise rapidly. Hope Shy is feeling better very soon.

Polos Mum

Visit site
Fingers crossed for him, it must be daft horse week - had an emergancy call to the vet myself last night - all worked out OK in the end tho - sure it'll be the same for you.

PolarSkye

Visit site
Fingers and toes firmly crossed for him, but it does sound like you caught it early . . . hope the wee boy is alright . . .

P

welshied

Visit site
Try not to worry sounds like you caught it nice and early, one of mine had mild colic 2 years ago and vet put it down to hin eating somthing dodgy out of hedge or something hes never had it since *touches wood*

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Sending <<<<<vibes>>>>> for Shy and you, even if he is fine when you go back, I know you won't sleep properly tonight.
It does sound as if it's a fairly straightforward colic and you caught it early.
Do remember that we usually hear about the worst cases on here. The vast majority of colics only need one vet visit and are resolved pretty easily. Has your vet suggested a bran mash or a drench to ease things through?

Tobiano

Visit site
Sending you both vibes Shysmum. You have caught and treated it nice and early and pooing / nibbling are good signs, so that is very positive. I know it will be a tough night for you though - can you pop down at 2 am or something to put your mind at rest? :)

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
No rug? I absolutely detest this cruel practice to encourage weight loss. Being too cold can cause colic!

OP please do not do that to your horse. I really hope he's ok.

nikicb

www.facebook.com
Hope he's ok - it's been sunny all day where we are and our grass is growing so I've already started limiting my ponies as one has a tendency for spasmodic colic (a shot of buscopan usually does the trick). I hate the having to get up every couple of hours to check them, but can't sleep anyway unless I do. Is he kept nearby? Sending healing vibes. x

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Thank you. Feel like I want to sleep in the stable tonight, but I know hubs won't let me. He's as tough as old boots.

Well you'll need to monitor him overnight, so it's not such a bad idea.

I'm sorry to disagree with your vet, but there's no way he'd be left unrugged if he were mine.

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
I think I'll just put his thermatex on tonight. Going to go down in half an hour. Feel sick.

Thank you so much for the vibes and advice. All going in.

His weight management obviously comes second when he's poorly. But vet said she is seeing several lami cases a week atm. URGH.