Sick cat- ideas?

Shady

Visit site
That's good news Alainax, sometimes you can get a disgusting pouch of cat food or something they have eaten that just makes them really ill, iv'e had it myself. A friends indoor cat almost died from eating a Mistletoe berry and the vet bill leading up to that accident was awesome.
I would still add some Pro Kolin to help her get some good flora back in her tummy, Porta 21 do a nice chicken and rice food too, her poo's may go paler if she is just on chicken for a bit but all being well they should start to firm up. Keep us posted? good luck. Orientals are my absolute passion, iv'e had loads, best cats ever!!! xxx

alainax

Visit site
Update :)

So we got the referral for the vet school, appointment is this tuesday. She has had free choice of chicken and Iams ( I remembered it made our old dog fat :p) since the chicken was recommended here on 21 Nov. I wormed her and tried really hard to get her to eat the pro kolin but wasn't happening.

In the last 5 days we have had no diarrhoea, she is scoffing the chicken every day and has a good much at the iams! Now debating whether to take her to the vets. Not for any other reason than I don't want her to go backwards again, It's a 2 hour round trip and she is extremely distressed when travelling. I may call them and postpone it pending how she continues.

She is still very thin, but I presume that might take a while to build back up.

BeckyFlowers

Visit site
Bless her, glad she seems to be on the mend! If it were me I would also be mindful of a two hour journey that will stress her out but I think I would take her to my vet for a check up and see what they recommend. They will be able to check on her recovery (eg is she anaemic, putting on weight, maybe test bloods etc) and could advise on whether they recommend still taking her to vet school.

It's so stressful having a sick pet as you just want to do the best for them. We had to have our old girl put to sleep on Friday. I'm really glad to hear that your girl seems to be getting better OP, hopefully she will be right as rain by Christmas and will be sat staring at the turkey in the oven and giving you lots of Christmas cuddles!

rara007

Visit site
At her age with this condition I think it’s worth making the trip assuming you want to give her the best chance possible.

alainax

Visit site
Bless her, glad she seems to be on the mend! If it were me I would also be mindful of a two hour journey that will stress her out but I think I would take her to my vet for a check up and see what they recommend. They will be able to check on her recovery (eg is she anaemic, putting on weight, maybe test bloods etc) and could advise on whether they recommend still taking her to vet school.

It's so stressful having a sick pet as you just want to do the best for them. We had to have our old girl put to sleep on Friday. I'm really glad to hear that your girl seems to be getting better OP, hopefully she will be right as rain by Christmas and will be sat staring at the turkey in the oven and giving you lots of Christmas cuddles!
So sorry to hear of your loss :(

Journey was awful, she broke one of her teeth in half, it was bleeding and looked very painful. She just gets so stressed about it!

I called my vet Monday and she advised to bring her in to get her weighed and see where we are at. Weight is down again, and she had bloody diarrhoea in the car. So trip to hospital this morning. They were lovely and did a scan this afternoon. Unfortunately they have found a mass lesion on her intestine, suspected cancer pending test results. :(

Last edited:

BeckyFlowers

Visit site
So sorry to hear of your loss :(

Journey was awful, she broke one of her teeth in half, it was bleeding and looked very painful. She just gets so stressed about it!

I called my vet Monday and she advised to bring her in to get her weighed and see where we are at. Weight is down again, and she had bloody diarrhoea in the car. So trip to hospital this morning. They were lovely and did a scan this afternoon. Unfortunately they have found a mass lesion on her intestine, suspected cancer pending test results. :(

Oh Alainax, that doesn't sound good. I'm so sorry to hear that.

alainax

Visit site
Cytology came back, whilst not confirming it 100% they are sure it is lymphoma. The cancer has metastasized and there's a lot of necrosis. It's incurable all we could possibly do is buy time. They said there are 3 options.

First is surgery and chemo. They would remove part of the intestine but due to its location may have to remove the joint between the small and large intestine which would mean constant diarrhoea. Recovery followed by chemo to keep the cancer from spreading quickly. Best guess would be this would give her a year.

Second is aggressive chemo, try and shrink what is currently there without removing it. They are not really advising this as it's very risky.

Finally they suggest palliative. Steroids to make her last time here on earth a bit more comfortable until she deteriorates.

I'm heart broken :(

I always said if there was a cure I'd go for it, but putting her through so much to buy such little time, I just don't think it's fair. The vet said Savana doesn't care how long she has left, she cares about the quality of the life she does have.

She is such a sweet gentle kind wee soul, has never done a bad thing in her life. The epitome of only the good die young :(

Last edited:

BeckyFlowers

Visit site
Oh that is devastating news, I'm so sorry Alainax. I agree with what the vet said re quality of life but it's easy to say that objectively. With our old girl (I moved out of home a while ago so she lived with my mum and stepdad) mum said that when she couldn't toilet, move, eat and she stopped purring then that would be the end due to having no quality of life. That happened last week and we had her put to sleep on Friday.

It's heart-breaking and I know how you feel Alainax, so I'm sending you and Savana a big hug.

GirlFriday

Visit site
So sorry this isn't better news.

For a pet type cat I usually think PTS at home is the least stressful option for all involved when the time comes. I know it is hard to think of but you've given this little one the best shot you could at living and now you get to help her have the nicest possible end to her life, however far away one might hope that will be.

Good luck with whatever you decide on before then.

pixie27

Visit site
So sorry to hear this. She's a gorgeous cat, lovely markings.

A friend went through the same with her dog, and was given the same three choices. She opted for palliative care, and it was definitely the best decision for them. He lived a lot longer than anyone suspected, and was (pretty much) his normal self right up until the end.

You know your cat best, and will choose the right decision by her. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Shady

Visit site
Oh Alainax love, that's not good news, i'm so sorry. Iv'e lost 3 to cancer and if i was you i would quietly have her put to sleep at home whilst she is still happy and not too uncomfortable. I love Havana's and lost one myself to cancer, broke my heart to lose him but i'm glad i let him go earlier rather than later. Your little girl is obviously well loved and you really have gone the extra mile to find out whats been wrong with her. Massive hugs to you and again , i am so sorry the outcome wasn't what you hoped for. xxxxxx

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
The vet said she is remarkable, in how sweet and kind she is, not an ounce of meanness in her. I know the prognosis isn't good, just have to wait to see what they say. ( whilst not crying too much around her)

Gutted for you and her - I lost my Mich to Intestinal Cancer it was in two places with healthy tissue in between so it would mean too much intestines to be removed, we started on Chemo, but he was a sod for pills he went down hill very fast and lost him a eek later. Hope you get as long as possible with her. xxx Such a pretty cat

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Unfortunately they have found a mass lesion on her intestine, suspected cancer pending test results. :(

I've only just seen this thread, and am sorry I didn't see it earlier.

The symptoms you described in your op are exactly the same as my cat had. A scan also revealed the same, so my little angel was pts. It was not operable and medication would simply have prolonged the inevitable.

Last edited:

alainax

Visit site
An update with Savana. She is on 2 steroid tablets a day. She seemed to be ticking along quite happily until a few days ago when she got a bit wobbly. Took her to the vets yesterday and it's neurological. Vet presumes the cancer has spread to her brain. Meaning if we had chose to put her through that operation it would have been too late anyway.

Vet doubled her steroid dose but was quite happy for her to continue. I'm having second thoughts. Although I was delighted to be given a reprieve yesterday when they vet didn't advise pts, I'm struggling seeing her fall over.

The vets opinion was she doesn't seem in pain or distressed. Seems quite happy bumbling along. To keep an eye on her and if that changes to bring her back. She shakes her head and falls over, staggers and wobbles a bit, falls off her tree ( but still lands on vet feet).

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Awww thanx for the update, so hard for you seeing her like this but if the vet is happy then enjoy what time she has. Such a horrid disease and one that is so senseless.

alainax

Visit site
She's gotten really incontinent now, doesn't groom herself and didn't react to the vet during the blink test. I think she knows it's too far for her to balance to the cat litter. It's so hard watching her struggle. Hubby says she's fine...

I can't help but feeling it's not fair for her. Honestly I think it's time, she's suffered enough, but I feel like if I'm the one saying it and not the vet then it's as if I'm somehow killing her too soon.. if that makes sense! I'm all for a week too so than a moment too late, my Tb suffered in the end and I forever regret that I didn't have him pts sooner.

I don't know what to do. In tears ...

And thank you all for continue to reply to me

BeckyFlowers

Visit site
We had our old girl put to sleep in December and although she was 18 and skinny and very doddery, up to that point she was still using the litter tray, still being really vocal, still purring etc. The evening before we had her pts her back legs just went from under her and she couldn't use them properly, let alone get to the litter tray and climb in and use it. She also had oedema in all four legs, so her heart and kidneys were pretty much packing up. My mum always said if she can't use the litter tray or walk about, and when she stops purring, then it will be time. Although it was absolutely heartbreaking putting her in the carrier and taking her up the vets, mum was right. It was her time to go. Her quality of life would have been zero.

Obvs everyone is different, but if you think it's time and she's suffered enough then you're probably right. Don't beat yourself up about it. As pet owners we have to make these awful decisions from time to time, and I can't imagine there is anyone (vet included) who will disagree with you. She's your baby and you know her best. Sending all my hugs xxx

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I'm very much of the opinion that you tell the vet what you expect to happen.

Please take your cat tomorrow and have her pts. It's simply not fair to allow this to continue.