Signs you were a horsey kid in the 1960's/1970's

GreyMane

Visit site
Riding in flared jeans and willies - jods were for special occasions.
I've just realised - "wellies" not willies. :D
We were more carefree then but don't remember anyone riding commando!
(unless you count the instructor whose not-very-stretchy jods burst at the seat with a loud BANG as she leapt aboard a Shitland during the RS gymkhana!)

Am 55... like someone else said, how did that happen.

Merrymoles

Visit site
I grew up near where Follyfoot was filmed and we used to ride in many of the places shown "on the telly". When it finished, the farm itself was empty for quite a while and we used to cycle there and hang about in the stables. I also rode one of the horses that had been in Flambards.

Everything on here is a memory - rope halters, string girths, 2p for the phone etc but the main thing was the massive amount of freedom we had. I used to walk two miles to the riding school, work hard all day hoping for a free ride which didn't always happen and was a life-lesson in things not always being fair, and my parents didn't see me for days on end in the summer.

I think horses have a better life now in some ways - they were elderly in their teens and the knackerman was the first port of call if they could no longer work for any reason. Tack was badly fitting and a bucking pony was always "naughty" rather than in pain and "ridden through it". However, keeping horses in 24/7 was virtually unheard of, as was individual paddocks, so I think their quality of life was different. I was looking at our horses yesterday and wondering "how did we manage without fly masks" and the answer was that they were horses and just had to put up with it...

So I would love a return to the 70s with the freedom and lack of traffic but would want to know what I know now.

56.5 here in case anyone's wondering.

Teajack

Visit site

Not strictly a horsey program but I loved the opening titles of this when I was a child in the 70s

I imagined myself galloping across country, while sitting on our rounded wall as my imaginary horse

Anyone else remember ' The flashing blade '

ln Scotland we only saw the first few episodes of the serials because our holidays were earlier :- ( Racing from unheard of places like Uttoxeter was on though :) Wish you could get White Horses on DVD.

windand rain

Visit site
65 and a half
Never had a lesson we were plonked on an appropriate or not sized horse and taken out hacking at all paces initially on a lead rein but eventually under our own steam fell of regularly as there was no concession for beginners you rode at the pace of the ride from day one. No one ever knew where we were as it was kids leading the rides. was bought my first horse in 1970 as a bribe to sttle into a new home 500 miles from the one I was used to. The idea was to help me make friends and not be as shy as I was it sure worked I spent the next 6 years with dozens of friends mostly boys so I still prefer male company. Their girlfriends were funny they couldnt understand that our friendship would always out live their "relationships"

Last edited:

jules9203

www.pensdellequestrian.org.uk
52.10 yrs old...... :D I remember so much of this. I went to a RS and went on a hack. The string girth was very loose and I was told that I would have to make sure my balance was ok. It was but only 'cos the mare had very high withers! I loved that mare to bits - she was called Scrappy.

sjb10

Visit site
And attaching rope to my brother’s waist and making him pretend to be a horse :D
Blimey, my brother would never have been so co-operative!
Remember the Flashing Blade, and also the Silver Brumby, which others have mentioned. Loved Silver Brumby. My mum tracked somedown for daughter a few yearsago, I must find and re-read them :)

Surbie

Visit site
Did anyone else have their own private fantasy yard?

I had a notebook with all 'my' horses names, colours, breeds (lots of fancy prancers there, courtesy of my 'horses of the world' book), drawings of the stables, exercise plans for each of them, feeding plans for each of them (would have been fat as houses!!) and I would spend HOURS daydreaming about brushing them and making up lessons for them.

Please tell me I'm not on my own here?!

Teajack

Visit site
Did anyone else have their own private fantasy yard?

I had a notebook with all 'my' horses names, colours, breeds (lots of fancy prancers there, courtesy of my 'horses of the world' book), drawings of the stables, exercise plans for each of them, feeding plans for each of them (would have been fat as houses!!) and I would spend HOURS daydreaming about brushing them and making up lessons for them.

Please tell me I'm not on my own here?!

l doubt lt! When l was ten or eleven l wrote to Rldlng Magazine's advice page and got a feeding plan for my entirely imaginary pony. 56.5

vmac66

Visit site
Feeling very nostalgic.
We used to put axle grease under the ponies hooves to stop snow balling up.
Everything lived out, only rich people had Stables. Horses weren't fat all year round.
I remember one very bad winter. The snow stayed for weeks, so found a, stable for pony. Walked 4 miles there and back before school to muck out and the same after school.

meleeka

Visit site
It's my ringtone!

I didn't own a pony as a child so my space hopper was jumped around a set of home made jumps in the garden!

And mine!

My parents weren’t remotely horsey. My ‘horse’ was the bannister at the top of the stairs, A pillow for a saddle and a couple of scarves for stirrups. Reins were a leather dog lead. From there I had the perfect view of the road outside and would run up the stairs every time I heard horses hooves coming.

I remember so much of what’s been written. One sad thing however was a friends pony that was pts because he was ‘broken winded’. He was bedded on straw in a shed with several stables and looking back now, merely had a dust allergy :(

I can remember getting my first pair of rubber reins for Christmas, would have been about 1980. Everything non essential was bought for Christmas or birthdays. I went out for a ride on Christmas morning feeling so lucky, when my pony out her head down to graze and trod on the reins and snapped them. I was heartbroken and had to wait until the following December for another pair. :(

Last edited:

cornbrodolly

Visit site
LOVE this thread! [ 64 ]
Its very heartening so many of us oldies are still riding and have never lost our love of horses. Perhaps its because it was a struggle to fund riding then?
My mount as a child was a 50 gallon oil drum on its side, with a rope halter tied to the fence in front as reins. I rode that 'horse' often! I also rode some of our cows [ when tied in the byres] .I jumped courses of nettle clumps beating myself with a crop that someone had left at our local show[ a prized possession , I was lucky to be given it]!
Has anyone mentioned Champion the Wonder horse?
When I became a groom in the late 70s, Stubben saddles were the thing to aspire to: the lady I worked for had 2 - and they were black- I d never seen black tack before! In the 80s there were even green Stubben s , which have thankfully disappeared.

honetpot

Visit site
I have a memory box of tack. A cool blue string girth,handmade bridle for my first horse, old fashioned bits, I had to have an egbut. Brushes and a hoof pick. Hand covered velvet browband.
Everything then was expensive but much better quality.
Modern tack depresses me.

meleeka

Visit site
I have a memory box of tack. A cool blue string girth,handmade bridle for my first horse, old fashioned bits, I had to have an egbut. Brushes and a hoof pick. Hand covered velvet browband.
Everything then was expensive but much better quality.
Modern tack depresses me.

You’ve just reminded me, I used to be able to do browbands, not sure I’d remember now though.

Berpisc

Visit site
So many memories, I am glad I wasnt the only person who rode an imaginary horse alongside the car on long journeys, it certainly passed the time.
I didn't own a horse until my mid 20's, I went to riding schools, had lessons and helped when I was older, also riding some of the more tricky ponies at one riding school with the owners daughter. I also had a pony on loan. I learned so much from those ponies and horses...

Outdoorgirl

Visit site
Loving reading all these replies. Brings back so many memories (66). Couldn't afford riding lessons but had a friend who did and had a brown riding hat. I used to sneek up into her bedroom when we visited and try it on. Putting string onto the front garden wall and tying stirrups at each end then doing rising trot once I had learned what that meant by doing it on my tricycle! Eventually got a pony when I was 16. She was a coloured cob and boy oh boy was I looked down on. She'd have been worth a fortune now.

Teajack

Visit site
You’ve just reminded me, I used to be able to do browbands, not sure I’d remember now though.

I liked the plastic sharks tooth browbands. When I finally had a pony as an adult they were all velvet and I spent ages trying to make a plastic one.

Teajack

Visit site
Vibart, Lizawake, Merely a Monarch and Stroller. The Hickstead April meeting was always on TV. For some reason if I squinted at the black and white screen through half-closed eyes it was easier to pretend it was in colour.

Hollychops

Visit site
I also have the theme tune from Black Beauty as my ring tone! Can remember most of the things mentioned here, a real trip down memory lane. I spent a whole 2 weeks on holiday sat on a branch in a field pretending it was a pony and getting very frustrated when my mum dictated i had to get off to go to the beach! I worked weekends at a riding school for sometimes a 5 min sit on a pony, it was definately slave labour but i loved it!

Like others, i am now having the childhood i wanted (parents couldnt afford a pony for me) and enjoying it so much.