Sig's Excellent European Adventure

teapot

Visit site
Oh no op :(

Is there a specific patch of grazing that’s richer than others? What’s your hay like, hasn’t suddenly changed has it? Any chance of him going onto a different feed?

Sig’s had so many changes it be worth looking at possible causes :)

SibeliusMB

Visit site
Causes and grass, not grass etc have been looked at and discussed with vets and yard staff together, multiple times, at length, over the last month and a half since this started. Yard staff is even keeping notes and I apologize for my lack of good humor and not wanting to get into detail at this time.

Please don't assume that because I feel a certain way that I'm ignoring advice. We're doing exactly what the yard has deemed necessary based on their local knowledge and veterinary input and it's still resulting in reoccurring colic episodes.

Last edited:

Caol Ila

Visit site
Man, that is all such a bummer. :( I really hope you guys can figure out the cause of these recurrent colics. Poor Sig and poor you.

I have a friend -- who's in the army -- stationed at one of the American bases in Germany. Not sure which, but I could find out if you need anything.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Sig had another colic last night. Mild enough to treat at home, but still required the vet (he's fine right now). They have no answers and no real suggestions. Yard keeps wanting to bring him in off grass if conditions aren't ideal and I don't think that's the answer for a horse who has lived out most of his life.

Insurance dropped his colic coverage before we moved over. I confirmed with them that he has absolutely no surgical coverage and no mortality for colic related issues....after taking time to think about it, I've decided that if he has another bad colic that requires surgery, I'll decline it. I won't put him through that after what it did to my last horse. I also cannot handle that again.

We're trying some mineral supplement with pre/probiotic because at this point...why not. Apple cider vinegar too. He's already on wet hay, daily grass turnout and walker to make up for winter turnout schedule and being in at night. We're throwing everything at this and I can only hope it sorts out.

I lost my mare to colic 14 years ago. Owned her for 10 years (and she battled through two colic surgeries) , but only had her with me for 5 years. I lost Soon just before the 5 year mark to colic surgery complications. Sig and I are coming up on 4 years shortly and I can't help but feel like the universe hates me and intends to take him too. ?

On top of all this, I've had to keep working through a concussion from the fall I had at the end of September. Thanks to post concussion syndrome I may have to go to Germany for evaluation by the US medical team there, and leaving Sig anytime soon just causes me more stress.

Sorry for the pity party but that's just where I'm at right now. Just need to vent. ?
This might help, as it has helped many of my colic episodes, its my first 20 mins first aid while waiting for vet, reduces gas, helps blockages slide down and aids discomforts. Might help him, helped my pony ease her discomfort https://pro-equine.com/products/colikare

My first personal colic loss was my pony NF and she colic in the first week I had her and had to go to RVC turned out Entrapment. She had another at 6 weeks and I lost her.

teapot

Visit site
Causes and grass, not grass etc have been looked at and discussed with vets and yard staff together, multiple times, at length, over the last month and a half since this started. Yard staff is even keeping notes and I apologize for my lack of good humor and not wanting to get into detail at this time.

Please don't assume that because I feel a certain way that I'm ignoring advice. We're doing exactly what the yard has deemed necessary based on their local knowledge and veterinary input and it's still resulting in reoccurring colic episodes.

Sounds like you’re doing the right things, but don’t rule out changes no one has any control over, such as changing ingredients in feeds for example.

The perfect storm of Covid and Brexit will have had an impact on the production of everything in the country and quality is changing as a result, sadly.

Zuzan

Visit site
The perfect storm of Covid and Brexit will have had an impact on the production of everything in the country and quality is changing as a result, sadly.

This is a good reason to feed straights rather than compound or muesli type feeds.. much easier to check the quality of a product.

@SibeliusMB another thought are crushed / bruised oats and micronised linseed both help gut health. Both are easily available here.

Trouper

Visit site
I am so sorry to read this. The prospect of going away from him just now must just feel like the last straw and, having lost two in quick succession, I totally understand your comment that you feel the Universe is against you.

I really would take him off the grass - just for a few weeks. He may be finding things here that his system has not met before and that can cause reactions, even moving areas in this country.

Although it was not colic, my last mare had an unusual flare up of a skin condition just after she arrived caused by a change in environment and the microbes she was meeting in my pasture. The guys at Trinity Consultants (who make supplements) were so knowledgeable and helpful and are always ready to give advice over the phone and she was quickly sorted. I can thoroughly recommend a conversation with them at least - you have nothing to lose. I find vets are very good at the main equine issues but not all are experts at these more subtle areas.

https://trinity-consultants.com/

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Unless he has history of colic induced by being stabled, Sibelius, I too would take him off the grass and reintroduce it slowly. It might only confirm that it's not the grass, but that would still be a move forward to understanding what's going on.

I know you're not asking for advice, so don't feel you need to acknowledge it. I just hope to goodness that he settles soon.

Last edited:

SibeliusMB

Visit site
I know you all mean well with the take him off grass suggestions but it's been done. Pulled off grass completely, reintroduced incrementally, etc. And the big colic that sent him to Newmarket came at the end of being stalled for several days.

I honestly do appreciate you all going out of your way to make that recommendation but again, it's been discussed at length with the professionals. At this point it's just frustrating to hear and I just hope that's understandable. I'm dealing with a lot right now and I just wanted to vent.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
I know you all mean well with the take him off grass suggestions but it's been done. Pulled off grass completely, reintroduced incrementally, etc. And the big colic that sent him to Newmarket came at the end of being stalled for several days.

I honestly do appreciate you all going out of your way to make that recommendation but again, it's been discussed at length with the professionals. At this point it's just frustrating to hear and I just hope that's understandable. I'm dealing with a lot right now and I just wanted to vent.
With the colikare you can feed it daily.

https://pro-equine.com/products/colikare - I have seen it work with so many colicky horses. My pony has IBD which was diagnosed after frequent colicky episodes. (Don't mean Sig has it). Having lost one pony the colick my welshy pony was really bad on the last one, 10 ml Colikare given to her, walked and walked, while waiting for vet, she was trying to get down on concrete, after 20 mins still trying to get down but slightly less uncomfortable. Gave her another 10 ml, 10 mins later she stopped of her own accord, and just stood not moving, 5 mins later vet turned up. Exam on the yard. "She is over the worst", she is much improved. I always make sure I have some in my first aid as do livery owners. To me with horrid colick it is a good thing to give while waiting for vet.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
have followed your thread but not commented before, just wanted to send "get well soon" vibes for Sig and hope you're doing OK, it must be a very worrying time.

cauda equina

Visit site
More get well vibes from me
The only good thing about this whole crappy situation is that you're just down the road from a centre of excellence - I am sure Sig could not be in better hands
Hoping for better news soon xx