"Silver Dun".. it's grey.

Hoof_Prints

Visit site
Pointless post really, but it seems increasingly common for people to advertise grey horses as "silver dun" because they have a darker mane or tail, or sometimes even without the latter. It's grey, and only going to get whiter! It does sound pretty of course:rolleyes: do people really fall for it?

Last edited:

Leo Walker

Visit site
Im always stunned at how many people just dont know how grey works. They look at me like I'm speaking in tongues when I explain their pretty dapple grey will eventually go white!

Mike007

Visit site
Every year I have to invent a new colour description for Bob the notacob. Practically Palomino does for the summer ,but the winter coat is another matter .Ginga-loosa worked for a while ,Ginger with ginger and black spots,(yes seriously) Then one year he had his "David Bowie "phase ,with an almost glittering streak down his shoulder. This year we are doing a more mature liver chestnut with "surfer dude "blonde mane.

millikins

Visit site
Pointless post really, but it seems increasingly common for people to advertise grey horses as "silver dun" because they have a darker mane or tail, or sometimes even without the latter. It's grey, and only going to get whiter! It does sound pretty of course:rolleyes: do people really fall for it?

I saw it too, the horse is GREY, no hint of anything remotely dun about it!

Visit site
There's a lass with a shetland that she insist's is chestnut. It's grey. It's only 2yo and still has brown tinges in it's mane, tail and winter coat but it is silver underneath just now and was mostly silver with a random white patch in the summer.

I do find it funny when people don't realise that their lovely dapple grey will eventually go white! To be fair my 14yo tb still has silver joints, a few dapples on his thighs, silver top of the tail and mane and forelock.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
People not understanding the very basic mechanism of grey..(.i.e. they start dark and go light and no they are not effing roan) really really makes me disproportionately angry. I too have had that incredulous look when talking in passing about someone's dappled grey eventually being white.

Silver dun is a new low though. :lol:

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Yes and my pretty 15 month old filly DID start as I dun and white hairs started at 3 1/2. by 24 she was white with brown hairs within her coat but she was grey
I took pictures on every birthday so saw the change. (much to my disappointment)

My new mare is was bay in her passport dapple when I bought her at 6 and I know she will be white in the end like most of us will be.

rosiesowner

Visit site
I think Chilli is conclusive proof that yes, even the most dark dappled grey horses do go white...
20294390_803851499774499_2201902394468878085_n.jpg

Leo Walker

Visit site
But wait, perhaps she is just a very light silver dun/roan :D:D

I think shes really a silver dapple. That seems to be the other popular colour of later. Its got dapples so it must be a rare silver dapple surely?

Or all the flipping bays with panagre who are dun, definitely 100% dun. They have light shading on their muzzles and tummy, that definitely 100% makes them dun! I'm gritting my teeth in rage just typing this!

Jo1987

Visit site
I haven’t seen many horses described as ‘silver dun’ but I see horses advertised as ‘chocolate dun’ when they’re actually a sooty buckskin or sometimes even just bay/brown at least once a fortnight.

DappleDown

Visit site

In that case we definitely have an Iron Grey Dun... :D :D

Cheers Leo, not heard that one - that means our very own 'Dapple' is a rare Silver Dapple. He must be worth more money now then! Horaah! :D

Last edited:

Hoof_Prints

Visit site
I haven’t seen many horses described as ‘silver dun’ but I see horses advertised as ‘chocolate dun’ when they’re actually a sooty buckskin or sometimes even just bay/brown at least once a fortnight.

Oh yes, the very yummy sounding "chocolate dun" ;) But yeah, more often than not it's just a brown horse or the bay with pangare :rolleyes:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets wound up by this :D

Embo

Visit site
When I bought my horse almost 4 years ago, he was mostly white but still had some dapples on his thighs and hocks/knees were still darker. He's now almost completely white, the dapples are gone and his hocks/knees have faded. However, liver-coloured spots have started to appear on his face.

Clearly he's going to be spotty... Does that make him a silver-leopard-spot? :D

cauda equina

Visit site
Why do people get so hung up about this?
A horse is the colour he is. What someone chooses to call that colour doesn't change anything

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I think that there are two reasons why accuracy is important. 1, identification eg the correct colour should be in the passport. 2, to stop people charging extra for a rare colour when that horse isn't that colour anyway.

ETA- 3, for breeding. There are certain colours that shouldn't be bred together. If you don't know what colour the stallion and mare actually are, how can you make the right breeding choice? EG you should never breed two frame overos together due to the possibility of a lethal white foal being produced. Plus combining grey and two copies of cream in the same horse is thought of as a bad thing to do due to the increased possibility of skin issues.

Last edited:

Wheels

Visit site
Yes I came across a silver dun the other day - can't be grey because she has a dorsal stripe (counter shading really)

Even though she is a Connie x TB so no dun in either breed

pip6

Visit site
Genuine question about my girls colouring. She's chestnut, with sabiano and robiano. That's fine, but she has two small brownish patches, one on her face and one on her rump. I've never found a name to describe them or ever seen dark brown patches on a chestnut pure bred arab.

Leo Walker

Visit site
Genuine question about my girls colouring. She's chestnut, with sabiano and robiano. That's fine, but she has two small brownish patches, one on her face and one on her rump. I've never found a name to describe them or ever seen dark brown patches on a chestnut pure bred arab.

Ink spot/ ben dor spots? This is a pretty extreme example

bend-or-spots1.jpg

LeannePip

Visit site
My horse is obviously a unicorn with locks of silver :D :D

Would love if anyone could tell me the cause of this; doesn't seem apparant in any of her full or half siblings either - Mum was Bay, Dad was grey (white) if that has any bearing?

ISduQQJ.png

The one on the left is obviously a very few spot appy ;)

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I have spotted a few others that have cropped up like your girl on the genetics sites LP, all warmbloods IIRC, but no one knows what is causing it still! In Germany apparently they call it 'Grahlshüter-syndrome' (he's a horse!)

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Only probably :p

She's bay with a salt and pepper mane. (iirc tail is more black?)

On the equine colour genetics group if you search for 'salt and pepper' a thread comes up with a few, examples, all seem to have more of this effect in mane than tail, though some white hairs can be seen in tails too. Lesli has a very short mention on the tapestry pages (she calls them flaxen maned bays. I can tag you if you can't find it :).

This is the aforementioned Grahlshuter
74dd47f93ca397e437ef08c963fd47bb.jpg