Sitting Trot Help Please!

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
Does anyone have any tips on improving sitting trot please?

I am struggling to get it for more than half a circle on Jacob and it would be really handy to crack to help with other things. I can happily and comfortably do 25 mins+ sitting on my friends ID who has a more economical movement, but Jacobs trot is so big that it really throws me!

ETA, I would like to avoid stirrupless riding at the moment as he is very spooky right now at the new yard and I'll come off!

Roxylola

Visit site
Little and often. I've always found even on big moving stuff if they are truly round and through I can sit on it but I sort of have to learn their trot. Like I can adjust their trot to my sit quite easily but that's naughty and I mustn't do it so I have to just sit a bit here and there until it clicks for me.
Also go in to ot from walk rather than just trying to sit on a trot that's already going. I find if I sit on a going trot unless I'm absolutely spot on i can end up creating tension and then it gets worse

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Yup, property soft and through is a must.
If you're prone to tensing up or the horse can be lively then no-stirrups is counterproductive imo. It may be something to return to another day but better to make things easier to practice little & often than go too ambitious and make it too difficult

doodle

Visit site
I have never really tried with Robin! His trot is huge. When I first tried him I couldn’t get canter as I couldn’t sit for even a step to ask. We now have an agreement where I don’t quite sit to ask and he filters out my crap riding and canters.

Pony club sharer had an evil instructor who made her tack stirrups off totally and then spent a further 30mins in trot. I thought she was going to pass out! (Obviously much younger and much much fitter and better rider than me so was quite relieved she was struggling too!)

Best ever was a highland pony I backed who I never felt the need to rise!

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
Thank you for all replies, looks like I need to break it down into smaller chunks and not to over face myself. The trot is nice, not perfect but nice, but then when I go sitting I am fine at first and then introduce the tension as I lose the sit, so it all goes bouncy and wrong from there. Either that or he anticipates a canter transition and it gets very tense there also. I have a couple of ideas to work on - I came across a Youtube video which said to walk into a few paces of sitting trot and then back to walk and repeat, while making the trot sections longer, this seems like a good place to start!

Also go in to ot from walk rather than just trying to sit on a trot that's already going. I find if I sit on a going trot unless I'm absolutely spot on i can end up creating tension and then it gets worse

I find this much easier too, but I wasnt sure if going into trot from the walk sitting and then back to the walk was a good idea - happy to try this; have also just seen it in a youtube video.

Buy a PRE ?

Never known an easier back to sit to.,

You're a bad influence! I don't need any more excouragement to brower horse ads! :p

Yup, property soft and through is a must.
If you're prone to tensing up or the horse can be lively then no-stirrups is counterproductive imo. It may be something to return to another day but better to make things easier to practice little & often than go too ambitious and make it too difficult

Thank you for this, wasn't sure if I was copping out by not wanting to do it - I just know that one sideways teleport, or bum under and shoot forwards and I'll be paying £15 for a new canister in my air jacket! :rolleyes:

scruffyponies

Visit site
I will get shot down for this, but:

Watch the gipsy lads on their ponies with the exaggerated backwards lean. It's ugly, but when riding bareback, copying this 'chair seat' can really help to soften the back and deepen the contact, at least at first until you get the feel for it.

oldie48

Visit site
Totally agree with those who have said to get the back soft and the horse through before trying to sit. I can actually sit to Rose's trot when she's properly "through" but as soon as she starts to tighten her back it becomes very difficult. I thought I was just a bit useless but sharer finds the same thing. If they have anything of a trot they have to let you in rather than tighten against you.

milliepops

Visit site
I remember being told to think of bringing the horse up with you in the sit, rather than sitting down into the horse. So you don’t focus on the ‘down’ part, you focus on the ‘up’ part.
That probably makes no sense but it does in my head!
yes it makes sense, I think changing how you think about the mechanics of the trot can be the thing that makes the difference to being able to do it. a friend once told me that you have to move backwards slightly and that helped me, it's a similar kind of thing. not thinkign about trying to be too still, because the thing you are sitting on isn't still!

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
I remember being told to think of bringing the horse up with you in the sit, rather than sitting down into the horse. So you don’t focus on the ‘down’ part, you focus on the ‘up’ part.
That probably makes no sense but it does in my head!

Right okay, so would the up be where you would be leaning back slightly and move your hips up with the up beat? Does that make any sense? :D

tristar

Visit site
starting from walk to sitting has the effect of pushing under the quarters under while not letting the front run away and get too bumpy in the saddle, sort of confining the trot to a speed that will help you to sit, according to and in proportion to the horses training, its ,almost like rising is a different kind of trot to sitting, to start its quite a slow trot and i try to sit not too heavy ,sort of absorb the movement through a light seat, like a cushion to make it easier for the horse but instantly go rising when the horses back hardens and go more forwards

finding out at what time of a schooling session a certain horse becomes easier to sit to instead of forcing it

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Does anyone have any tips on improving sitting trot please?

I am struggling to get it for more than half a circle on Jacob and it would be really handy to crack to help with other things. I can happily and comfortably do 25 mins+ sitting on my friends ID who has a more economical movement, but Jacobs trot is so big that it really throws me!

ETA, I would like to avoid stirrupless riding at the moment as he is very spooky right now at the new yard and I'll come off!

Then you need to improve your core somehow. You should not be relying on your stirrups to stay in the saddle - which I know sounds harsh but it's true. How about having some sessions on a mechanical horse? Or maybe exercises off the horse to improve your core.

milliepops

Visit site
i think there's a difference between someone needing their stirrups to stay in the saddle, and someone not wanting to be without them on a big horse with a tendency to be spooky in his new environment, IIRC OP has some physical issues going on that falling off is not going to help either.
Am I right ASBMO I think you have an issue with your pelvis? if so I think you have a double difficulty whammy because it's really pelvic stability and independent movement that helps with sitting trot I think.

i think it's possible to improve your technique without going stirrupless. It was interesting on an online seminar with Andy Thomas from Eventphysio a few weeks ago he backed up what I have always felt, which is that riding without stirrups if you have a tightness or incorrect technique can actually make things worse. likewise while core strength is important, just being *strong* isn't going to make you naturally brilliant at sitting trot ;) it can also bring other problems if you are "too" strong in a way that makes you stiff, because as a rider you need to be flexible and fluid enough to go with the horse, it's a balancing act.

I think given the circumstances I'd def echo the suggestion to start small, small steps with not very much impulsion to get the feeling you need to be able to create and go rising before you lose the ability to stay with the horse, and then build up to trying it in a bigger trot, but the horse must be as soft as you can possibly make him, to make it easier for you to gel with the movement of his back.

tristar

Visit site
i would start on straight lines, so you just think about how you are sitting rein tension and feeling what ,happening, in short bursts, so you are not having to think about the shape of the circle as well and you get the needed forwardness from straightness and the horse gets the support of an equal contact

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
Then you need to improve your core somehow. You should not be relying on your stirrups to stay in the saddle - which I know sounds harsh but it's true. How about having some sessions on a mechanical horse? Or maybe exercises off the horse to improve your core.

My core absolutely could do with improving, you are not wrong but at the same time MP is right and I do have issues with nerve damage in my lower back and a rotated pelvis/hip which don't fit properly together, I have been told that should I come off before my surgery goes ahead it will likely shatter and Jacob has some impressive acrobatics, so I would prefer not to risk it right now. Unfortunately I don't have the funds at the moment to have a mechanical lesson but it is definitely on my list, as is resuming with my lessons as soon as poss!

i think there's a difference between someone needing their stirrups to stay in the saddle, and someone not wanting to be without them on a big horse with a tendency to be spooky in his new environment, IIRC OP has some physical issues going on that falling off is not going to help either.
Am I right ASBMO I think you have an issue with your pelvis? if so I think you have a double difficulty whammy because it's really pelvic stability and independent movement that helps with sitting trot I think.

i think it's possible to improve your technique without going stirrupless. It was interesting on an online seminar with Andy Thomas from Eventphysio a few weeks ago he backed up what I have always felt, which is that riding without stirrups if you have a tightness or incorrect technique can actually make things worse. likewise while core strength is important, just being *strong* isn't going to make you naturally brilliant at sitting trot ;) it can also bring other problems if you are "too" strong in a way that makes you stiff, because as a rider you need to be flexible and fluid enough to go with the horse, it's a balancing act.

I think given the circumstances I'd def echo the suggestion to start small, small steps with not very much impulsion to get the feeling you need to be able to create and go rising before you lose the ability to stay with the horse, and then build up to trying it in a bigger trot, but the horse must be as soft as you can possibly make him, to make it easier for you to gel with the movement of his back.

You are absolutely right re: the physical problems, well remembered! That's super interesting, am I able to watch this seminar anywhere? Will give it a go tonight if he is feeling amicable, feels much more achievable in smaller steps.

scats

Visit site
Right okay, so would the up be where you would be leaning back slightly and move your hips up with the up beat? Does that make any sense? :D

I think it’s more instead of thinking ‘down, down, down’ with each ‘bounce’, you think ‘up, up up’ so you change your way of absorbing the movement into an upwards/lift the horse than a downwards into the saddle movement.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
My core absolutely could do with improving, you are not wrong but at the same time MP is right and I do have issues with nerve damage in my lower back and a rotated pelvis/hip which don't fit properly together, I have been told that should I come off before my surgery goes ahead it will likely shatter and Jacob has some impressive acrobatics, so I would prefer not to risk it right now. Unfortunately I don't have the funds at the moment to have a mechanical lesson but it is definitely on my list, as is resuming with my lessons as soon as poss!

You are absolutely right re: the physical problems, well remembered! That's super interesting, am I able to watch this seminar anywhere? Will give it a go tonight if he is feeling amicable, feels much more achievable in smaller steps.

Oh my goodness! No, don't risk it! Can't you stick to rising trot for now?:)

Seriously though, forget about circles, practice short bursts of sitting trot, as slowly as you can, in straight lines, which will probably help both of you.

milliepops

Visit site
it was part of a Q&A on a FB live on his page https://www.facebook.com/testt.co.uk

there have been a few paid seminars over the last few weeks, last one tomorrow which I'm going to tune into. I think Andy's approach is both pragmatic and highly effective, he works with top, top riders all the way to hobby weekend riders and the thing that really comes across is that pain is not helpful, you have to look at ways to eliminate pain because it will be holding you back. Strength isn't necessarily the key, being switched on in the right places is key (being over active "strong" in one area can make asymmetries worse, for example)
And that you can't attempt to be symmetrical in 100% of your life because we're constantly doing asymmetrical movements. but what matters is getting symmetry and effectiveness moments before you get onto the horse. I think the messages he has are different to old "truths" that can make (esp amateur hobby) riders feel overwhelmed. The before and after videos that he has on the seminars are proof of what he is saying (and I've experienced it in person so I totally believe it).

eggs

Visit site
If your horse is soft through this back then just doing sitting trot for a couple of strides and slowly building up the number can help. I find one of my horses very hard to sit to the trot on and another I could do sitting trot all day.

A balance strap can work well as you can hook your fingers through it and I find that it adds a lot of stability for me in sitting trot.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
it was part of a Q&A on a FB live on his page https://www.facebook.com/testt.co.uk

there have been a few paid seminars over the last few weeks, last one tomorrow which I'm going to tune into. I think Andy's approach is both pragmatic and highly effective, he works with top, top riders all the way to hobby weekend riders and the thing that really comes across is that pain is not helpful, you have to look at ways to eliminate pain because it will be holding you back. Strength isn't necessarily the key, being switched on in the right places is key (being over active "strong" in one area can make asymmetries worse, for example)
And that you can't attempt to be symmetrical in 100% of your life because we're constantly doing asymmetrical movements. but what matters is getting symmetry and effectiveness moments before you get onto the horse. I think the messages he has are different to old "truths" that can make (esp amateur hobby) riders feel overwhelmed. The before and after videos that he has on the seminars are proof of what he is saying (and I've experienced it in person so I totally believe it).

Fabulous, thank you! That's my evening reading/watching sorted - I'll have a scroll through the page.

Oh my goodness! No, don't risk it! Can't you stick to rising trot for now?:)

Seriously though, forget about circles, practice short bursts of sitting trot, as slowly as you can, in straight lines, which will probably help both of you.

I could do, but I figured that whilst I can't do anything too risky and can't afford to have lessons until I m back at work on full salary that I would focus the things I need to get down to be a better rider. I have done a couple of weeks on good hands, a week on opening the hips which I really struggle with, and this is next. It would make other lateral movements a lot easier for me!

If your horse is soft through this back then just doing sitting trot for a couple of strides and slowly building up the number can help. I find one of my horses very hard to sit to the trot on and another I could do sitting trot all day.

A balance strap can work well as you can hook your fingers through it and I find that it adds a lot of stability for me in sitting trot.

I hadn't thought of a balance strap, just bought some new stirrup leathers so will rig this up tonight.

Skib

sites.google.com
Do it in walk first. Feel the movement of the hind legs under your seat bones. It should be a rise and fall of each hip in turn, a side to side movement as each hip will dip when that hind leg leaves the ground.
The movement of the hind legs is conveniently the same in trot as in walk. So once you can feel it in walk, try to feel it again after the transition to trot. When learning I found that easier if I closed my eyes for a moment but that is really only safe if one is in a school in a solo lesson.

It is said that those of us who learned sitting trot before we learned to rise, find it easier.

thefarsideofthefield

Visit site
As someone who struggled with tension in sitting trot for years this is how I got my head around it and this is how I now mostly introduce my clients to sitting trot . Starting in walk concentrate on sitting tall and relaxed and LET THE HORSE MOVE YOU by allowing your lower back to flex backwards and forwards with the movement as the horse steps under with each hind leg . Hold that forward/back feeling . Feel the one-two-one-two rhythm as each hind leg steps under until you feel soft and relaxed through your lower back , and ( very important !) be aware of keeping your belly soft and relaxed . Don't hold it in . Before you move into trot continue walking like this and now picture your outer body ( like a flexible suit of armour ?) sitting in the saddle but your ' inner body ' ( your soft muscles/guts/organs ! ) inside the suit doing the tiniest , softest rising trot ( think of your hips going forward-back rather than your body going up/down ) and just allowing your back to flex to the one-two-one-two walk or trot rhythm . Hold the thought as you move forward into trot . Don't think about ' sitting still ' but concentrate instead on your inner body moving with the trot . If you lose the feeling and/or tense up start 'rising' just the tiniest bit , so that you are barely moving out of the saddle , and when you have softened and regained the rhythm ,gradually reduce the trot until you are barely rising , and then stop rising with your ' outer ' body but keep following with your ' inner 'body . Remember to keep your belly soft - don't suck it in to make you feel ' strong ' - it just makes you tense ! It is also very common for people to hold their breath when they are tense and/or concentrating , consciously pushing your stomach out will help to stop this happening . ' Jelly belly ' is a common phrase in our arena , which means ' You've tensed up/are holding your breath ! RELAX ! '
Also I rarely use the phrase ' sitting trot ' with my clients - I find that saying ' and now stop rising ' produces a much softer result . It can also help if you have problems with canter transitions - rather than thinking ' sitting trot into canter ' try thinking ' stop rising , and canter .' And at the risk of sounding like a complete nutter , I have a really tense , nervous client who finally cracked her trot/canter transition when I started using the instruction ' Stop rising , jelly belly , canter .'
We're big on visualisation in our house - but you just have to keep trying until you find the thing that clicks with you .