SJ Report (Pics & Vid)

PaddyMonty

Visit site
New girl went to her first show yesterday. Local agricultural show so lots going on.
Hacked there as only about 4 miles away.
She was a bit on her toes when we arrived. Warm up for SJ was tiny and as we entered a horse managed to crash through the practice fence followed by lots of shouting from rider which didn't help settle my girl to say the least.
Decided the warm up was a bad idea so as we had already hacked there took her in to clear round to warm up. Turned out to be a wise decision as complete brakes and steering failure followed. Jumps also seemed to need 4 foot extra according to her. Straight round twice (only 7 fences) and seemed almost rideable on second round.
SJ ring was fairly small and full of very bright fences. Entered the 2'6". Course was well designed asking some questions using the terrain undulations but very fair.
Well not expecting much I was very surprised how much she was listening, keen but responsive.
Single phase but had decided just to go for a clear in nice rythm. Really impressed that we finished 6th without the slightest attempt at speed in jump off section of course.
Called it a day there as objective for the outing had been achieved :)

Vid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7JvmubbHi0

Round finished
IMG_3385_zps3gtb7fd6.jpeg

Getting her frilly
IMG_3379_zps7jmlsqlt.jpg

Hornby

Visit site
What a lovely round, is she one of yours or are you bringing her on for someone? She looks nice, do you know her breeding?

PaddyMonty

Visit site
What a lovely round, is she one of yours or are you bringing her on for someone? She looks nice, do you know her breeding?
Her breeding is Irish Dam = Unknown, Sire = Unknown.
Not one of mine. Owner has had her since a baby but hasn't been able to give her any consistency. I've taken her on to train and compete.
Current plan is to aim her at eventing as her flatwork is coming on nicely and she loves her jumping. Only issue atm is her enthusiasm isn't yet match by technique. Needs far too much intervention from me to keep it all together over fences but certainly has raw talent and the most fantastic attitude to life. Always a smile on her face.

PaddyMonty

Visit site
Well that was just lovely to watch. Beautifully ridden. And it's so, so nice to see someone being so kind to their horse's mouth and using their seat to drive and slow. So good I had to watch it twice.
Thanks, really appreciate that comment. I was lucky about 20 years ago to be traveling the country on business and booked a jumping lesson at a small yard in Exeter. Spent the entire lesson without reins which on it's own isn't too unusual. However, I was riding the owners advance eventer working over 4ft+ fences. That was a real turning point for me and have strived from that point to get horses working with as little input as possible from the hand. Not always possible but a target in all the schooling I do.
She is a cracking mare, just very green with zero comp experience.
Could be very good.

PaddyMonty

Visit site
Thanks all.
Owner is very happy bunny atm. I am going to give ALW unaff ODE a go mid september. Plenty of time to get her used to dressage and XC :eek:

Sheep

Visit site
Super little horse and a lovely round. I don't usually bother watching videos but given all the positive feedback above, I had to watch. You're doing a superb job, looks like you have a great partnership already.

PaddyMonty

Visit site
Super little horse and a lovely round...... looks like you have a great partnership already.
She's a very easy horse to ride in that she wants to get it right, just lacking experience and training atm. Feels like I've been working with her for years when in reality it is 5 weeks. Feel very at home with her. :)

PaddyMonty

Visit site
She's really quite smart over a fence.
She learns very fast. 5 weeks ago she was seriously rushing her fences and then sort of nose diving over them dragging her hinds.
Only done 4 S training sessions with her to turn it around to what you saw on the vid. Flat work has been the key with her getting the canter better.

vam

Visit site
She learns very fast. 5 weeks ago she was seriously rushing her fences and then sort of nose diving over them dragging her hinds.
Only done 4 S training sessions with her to turn it around to what you saw on the vid. Flat work has been the key with her getting the canter better.

She sounds like the sort that wants to learn and they are great to work with. It will be lovely to see where she is in another 5 weeks :)