Skinny dog

cbmcts

Visit site
Mac died an hour ago. His poor body just gave up on him. I'm heartbroken but was lucky enough to be allowed in to say goodbye to him. My poor, poor boy. Sleep well handsome, even after this short time I will really miss you.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I am so sorry. Take some comfort from the fact that the last weeks of his life were with you, having a lovely time as a family dog. Sometimes (and this happens with people too) when they have been under extreme prolonged stress, it's as if once they relax the body becomes overwhelmed and can't cope.

It's not easy to lose 2 so close together.

Last edited:

gryff

Visit site
I'm so sorry. I can't believe how much my heart sank when I read your update. Goodness knows how you're feeling. You should take comfort that at least he knew love and comfort in his last few weeks.

cbmcts

Visit site
A final update on this sad saga - the histology results came back with the tumour on the spleen being benign, nothing nasty showing on the lymph nodes but the section of gut that was removed was too degraded to get any results.

I feel that the big learning curve for me was that due to corona and tbh, not knowing the dog very well (he was so new to me I wasn't sure what was his normal if that makes sense?) I didn't push hard enough for an early referral. It is very likely that he would have been strong enough to survive the surgery if had been done 3 weeks earlier. That's no reflection on my vets, the lockdown made it very difficult to get a referral even at the point he was a walking skeleton. Also, big kudos to bought by many - they have paid out for the first tranche of vet bills so far even though the policy was only in place for just over a month before Mac got ill.

I've said no more rotties for a while - too much heartbreak - but I ended up taking an emergency foster of one! A 2 year old deaf (god help us) male who was handed into a vets to be pts. Untrainable apparently as he doesn't listen (really?) and kept on knocking over the toddler the same age as him. Who gets a puppy that size when they have a baby? In a week, he's learnt hand signals and a squirt water bottle is in operation - a lot. I'm not the right home for him as there is a touch of separation anxiety - I'm WFH for the foreseeable but that's not forever - and he would really benefit from a house with another steady dog to reassure him and hopefully set a good example. He is hilarious and infuriating in equal measures, a proper cheeky monkey and has been a lovely distraction.

Operation Find Reggie a home is go...the cat is leading this as he keeps trying to make friends with her. If he's not careful, he'll be a blind and deaf dog as she'll have his eyes out. He thinks she's playing :0

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I made exactly the same decision as you about Rotts, which is why we have 2 x almost one yr old Labs now. The remaining Rotts thinks they were a brilliant idea! They have given her a new lease of life. I am glad that you stepped in for Reggie though, he's a lucky dog.