Sleep now my beautiful boy.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
So, OP you post that your horse went lame on Chrismas eve. Then you post that he has been driven mad by two weeks box rest (by then it could only have been 5 days max), and that you tried to send him back but owners didn't want to know (shame on them). Then you also say he's had a bute trial that failed (all this since Christmas eve). No mention of vet? But horse is sound enough to have a final 'hooley'?

Of course, there is nothing wrong in what you have done. Many people do exactly the same in your shoes (though I think many would struggle to fit it all into six days). Nothing at all wrong in putting a horse to sleep because you can't afford to keep a lame horse. But to come on here saying how much he meant to you and to get sympathy? I am sorry, I have slept on this before putting my thoughts down, but this has really saddened me especially as the horse has worked hard all of his life and gets six days to come right?

charliecrisps

Visit site
So, OP you post that your horse went lame on Chrismas eve. Then you post that he has been driven mad by two weeks box rest (by then it could only have been 5 days max), and that you tried to send him back but owners didn't want to know (shame on them). Then you also say he's had a bute trial that failed (all this since Christmas eve). No mention of vet? But horse is sound enough to have a final 'hooley'?

Of course, there is nothing wrong in what you have done. Many people do exactly the same in your shoes (though I think many would struggle to fit it all into six days). Nothing at all wrong in putting a horse to sleep because you can't afford to keep a lame horse. But to come on here saying how much he meant to you and to get sympathy? I am sorry, I have slept on this before putting my thoughts down, but this has really saddened me especially as the horse has worked hard all of his life and gets six days to come right?

Does seem quick; One of mine took more 6 weeks after being lame... But I guess we don't know the history and prognosis the vet gave in this instance (if at all) to judge too harshly.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Does seem quick; One of mine took more 6 weeks after being lame... But I guess we don't know the history and prognosis the vet gave in this instance (if at all) to judge too harshly.

We know the OP lied in her previous post about it (said he'd been on box rest 2 weeks when post was made only five days after he went lame.). We know no mention was made of a vet or a diagnosis. As I say, my problem isn't with putting a horse to sleep when you cannot afford to keep it, but with the lying and expecting people to feel sorry for her. It sticks in the throat.

touchstone

Visit site
I tend to agree Wagtail, there is absolutely nothing wrong with pts for the horse's sake, but the op states that the horse wouldn't make a happy hacker, when according to previous posts this is what he has done for the previous few years??? I'm also a believer in giving a horse time, a week or so is no time at all for a horse to mend.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Yes this has only just been brought to my attention. The OP got the horse on 3rd Nov. He's been a happy hacker. Then she broke him. Poor poor boy. Though to be fair, the owners need to share the blame here.

Holly Hocks

Visit site
I actually agree Wagtail - I saw the previous thread as well. Although I suppose if he had done something major and the vet's diagnosis was bad OP's done the right thing. Would be nice to know what the vet had diagnosed as the issue, but maybe OP is too upset to post details.

_GG_

Visit site
If he was taken on in November as a happy hacker only, why is he very sweaty in a school in the pictures?

My original post stands, but I didn't want to comment on the above at the time. I don't like making assumptions but I also don't like misplaced sympathy as many of us have suffered having to make these decisions ourselves.

I hope that the OP can clear this up and that it's all as it should be.

olop

Visit site
So sorry, it is the hardest but kindest thing we can do for our friends.
RIP he was a beautiful boy xxx
Big hugs to you.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Yes it is.. he was very lame and weak behind as a result so even if he came sound after the box rest or field rest (which would have driven him crazy), he would only have been a happy hacker which wouldn't have been enough for him to keep him mentally stimulated. As he was 17 as well it was the kindest thing for him. And thankyou, I agree

Yet he was a happy hacker before you took him on? What was the veterinary diagnosis?

Also, what became of the mare you were taking out on loan. The one you asked advice about in your very first post on this forum? You know, when your main question was if a loan horse is PTS who gets the insurance payout, the loanee (you) or the owners?

charliecrisps

Visit site
It sounds like he shouldve been a happy hacker/ light use (Or a companion really) But perhaps loanee didn't know he was for light use as she wanted to hunt him etc.. But previous owners maybe just wanted rid. Maybe he wasn't insured, or not covered for this lameness perhaps because previous exclusion and owners didn't want to pay out... And loanee couldn't afford. That's not right at all... If people can't afford or want to pay when things go wrong they should not own animals. But let's try not be too mean as we don't know all the ins and outs.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
It sounds like he shouldve been a happy hacker/ light use (Or a companion really) But perhaps loanee didn't know he was for light use as she wanted to hunt him etc.. But previous owners maybe just wanted rid. Maybe he wasn't insured, or not covered for this lameness perhaps because previous exclusion and owners didn't want to pay out... And loanee couldn't afford. That's not right at all... If people can't afford or want to pay when things go wrong they should not own animals. But let's try not be too mean as we don't know all the ins and outs.

I am not a mean person. I am a big softy. But this thread has made me really angry. I am going only on what the OP has told us. I resent her starting a thread pertaining to have lost her very special horse. Gives the impression she's had him years. She posts up some of her 'favourite photos', again giving the impression they have shared many memories together. People feel sad and being the kind people they are say how brave she has been and how selfless etc. So I look back at her posts not wanting to upset her by asking for details, but curious to know what brought about his demise. Then I find out he went lame on Christmas eve. Then she posts on the 30th only six days later, that he has been on box rest for two weeks (a lie), that he has been on a bute trial. Well lets see, she would only have been able to get the vet out (possibly) on the Friday 27th. But on the Monday he has had a failed bute trial and she has decided to PTS. Now there are all kinds of reasons a horse can go lame. It obviously wasn't a broken leg or ruptured tendon as he enjoyed one final hooley in the field. Even severe arthritis would stop a horse from doing that (I know from experience). So it is milder than those conditions. But she manages to arrange the hunt to come and shoot him on News years eve. She says he could not be a happy hacker (even though he HAD been for some time before she got him and broke him, so yet another lie.)

So I am sorry, but this thread just makes a mockery of all the genuinely upset people who post after putting their horse to sleep. And the OP seems to have an unhealthy fascination with horses being PTS. Her first ever post wasn't asking normal questions about loaning a horse, but who got the insurance pay out if the loaned horse was PTS!

mightymammoth

Visit site
I am not a mean person. I am a big softy. But this thread has made me really angry. I am going only on what the OP has told us. I resent her starting a thread pertaining to have lost her very special horse. Gives the impression she's had him years. She posts up some of her 'favourite photos', again giving the impression they have shared many memories together. People feel sad and being the kind people they are say how brave she has been and how selfless etc. So I look back at her posts not wanting to upset her by asking for details, but curious to know what brought about his demise. Then I find out he went lame on Christmas eve. Then she posts on the 30th only six days later, that he has been on box rest for two weeks (a lie), that he has been on a bute trial. Well lets see, she would only have been able to get the vet out (possibly) on the Friday 27th. But on the Monday he has had a failed bute trial and she has decided to PTS. Now there are all kinds of reasons a horse can go lame. It obviously wasn't a broken leg or ruptured tendon as he enjoyed one final hooley in the field. Even severe arthritis would stop a horse from doing that (I know from experience). So it is milder than those conditions. But she manages to arrange the hunt to come and shoot him on News years eve. She says he could not be a happy hacker (even though he HAD been for some time before she got him and broke him, so yet another lie.)

So I am sorry, but this thread just makes a mockery of all the genuinely upset people who post after putting their horse to sleep. And the OP seems to have an unhealthy fascination with horses being PTS. Her first ever post wasn't asking normal questions about loaning a horse, but who got the insurance pay out if the loaned horse was PTS!

I agree wagtail a very strange thread, seems to be a few of them about at the minute.

charliecrisps

Visit site
I do agree with everyting you've said to be honest, its just I'd just like to think his being lame and giving up on him so quick wasn't such a ruthless act as it appears and maybe we are just missing part of the story.

_GG_

Visit site
There are lots of strange goings on on the forum at the moment. Stumbled across another a couple of nights ago and it just makes me sad. There's really no need, but it seems we act as amusement to some :(

I always hope that there is a perfectly good explanation, but I don't like when peoples heartfelt condolences and the stirring up of their own sad memories are based on lies :(

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
I hope this is a wind up or there is a good explanation... otherwise if you're correct Wagtail then this is just sick.

Has really struck a nerve after losing Daisy.

Really sorry to hear about Daisy. I lost my girl just a month before and I suppose that is part of the reason why this thread has angered me so much. Nothing worse than crocodile tears. On the day the OP posted about her horse going lame she just said 'My horse went lame on Christmas eve. THANKS WHISPER!' and she had him shot six days later. Doesn't hang about, does she?

RPM

Visit site
I also find it shocking that a 17 year old girl is apparently so callous. When I first read the post, it appeared quite genuine, although I have to say I still felt uneasy that the horse had only been allowed 2 weeks' box rest to come right. I know from both my own and my horses' injuries and illnesses that 2 weeks is a very short time in which to expect an improvement. Clearly, catastrophic injuries or serious illnesses may require a quick decision to end suffering. This did not seem to be the case here.

When I read Wagtail's post, I too looked back through OP's other posts and found major discrepancies. I also find it very strange that OP has named the yard she was at, so locals will be in no doubt who she us.

I find the whole thing very upsetting and very cruel to forum members who have tried to do the best for their horses.

I hope OP is not entrusted with the care of a living creature again.

merrymeasure

www.winningpost-art.co.uk
If this is a wind up, then its incredibly sick. I lost my two beautiful boys within 18 months of each other, and still miss them to this day. When I read of others going through the same upset and sadness that I went through, I get upset for them, and really feel for them at a very horrible time in their lives. If what I've read is correct, then what a callous and unfeeling act, and getting genuine sympathy from others, especially the ones who have lost a treasured horse, and that is a fair few of us. Poor horse, is all I can say :(

Love

Visit site
Now that you have brought all this up wagtail it has got my back up as well. I didn't link any of the details up, I did see the original post and remembered it when I saw this but didn't remember specifics. I just saw the OPs horse had been PTS and thought I'd leave a message.

Whatever is going on I do hope we can get an explanation. After knowing exactly what it's like to have to PTS (albeit in an emergency situation rather than planned, but still just as upsetting) I really hope this isn't just fishing for attention from well meaning forum users.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Well I expect she will be in the market for a new loan horse soon. I very much hope that owners do not entrust her with their horse.

Is it West Sussex she's based?

Last edited:

Ceriann

Visit site
One of my current mares (now retired) suffered a back injury only 2/3 months after I'd lost her companion and i was devastated (she was in obvious pain). My first concern was whether she could be managed and be paddock sound again, which the vet confirmed was possible, but it took about 6-8 weeks of being on bute, gradual increase of turnout and certain changes to her routine to get her completely comfortable again. Im lucky in that i am in a position to keep her as retired companion now (I appreciate that not everyone can do that with horses)but that's not really my point, my point is she was seen by a vet and allowed the time to improve and get better. She wouldnt have been able to hooley in a field within days/weeks of the injury but she can hooley fairly competently now!

Goldenstar

Visit site
Well I hope it's not a wind up as that's not nice at all , but on time scale I decide very fast mine are going , often the day after they are injured they are gone .
Often horses carry impairments for years working happily and then You reach the end of the road, but because you have managed the horse you know it's the time .
If its a loan horse it won't have been OPs call will it ? Surely the owner will have made the desision .

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Well I hope it's not a wind up as that's not nice at all , but on time scale I decide very fast mine are going , often the day after they are injured they are gone .
Often horses carry impairments for years working happily and then You reach the end of the road, but because you have managed the horse you know it's the time .
If its a loan horse it won't have been OPs call will it ? Surely the owner will have made the desision .

Horse had been a happy hacker for years before the OP took him on. We don't know whether the owners specified that he must only be lightly worked or whether his sudden intense training regime had their blessing. OP said the horse went lame on Christmas Eve. And that he would only be good enough for a light hack. She 'said' the owners said they could not have him back and that if she wasn't prepared to keep him then PTS. She had him shot the next day. However, she has contradicted herself and lied on several occasions, so personally, I don't know what to believe. My gripe isn't having the horse PTS because you can't/won't nurse a lame horse back to fitness/light hack. Plenty of people chose to PTS in that situation (though it is not something I would personally do). My gripe is that she makes a thread about how much he meant to her when he couldn't possibly mean a scrap to her if she was only prepared to give him six days to come right and it turns out she had loaned him less than 2 months. Lots of genuinely saddened people then give their condolences. It's just sick. If she REALLY cared for him she would have given him longer to become sound enough for a light hack and tried to help find him a happy hacking home. However, I do agree that really, at the end of the day, the owners are responsible for the horse. But we only have her word for what she told them and what they said, and I'm afraid that isn't worth a jot after her obvious lies on this forum. It is very possible that she has made the entire story up to attract attention.