smaller 4x4s for lightweight trailers

Wheels

Visit site
OK so husband is trying to convince me to get rid of my beloved but ancient and gas guzzling 4x4 and change for a more modern, better mpg and smaller 4x4.

My trailer is a single & maximum capacity is 1600kg so I know I don't 'need' a big 4x4 but I like to have one just in case.

Trouble is I can't go far because my current 4x4 only does about 12 MPG so I do get his point.

So what do you use & how is it? Especially if you can compare it to a 'proper' 4x4 - please no 'cars' as such - I won't go for a standard estate, it still needs to be 4WD but I could possibly go for something like a Tiguan or IX35...

Joyous70

Visit site
I have a Nissan X Trail 2.3ltr, i love it, not sure on MPG as such, but generally get around 400 miles out of a tank of diesel.

It seems to tow my trailer well

ROG

Visit site
OK so husband is trying to convince me to get rid of my beloved but ancient and gas guzzling 4x4 and change for a more modern, better mpg and smaller 4x4.

My trailer is a single & maximum capacity is 1600kg so I know I don't 'need' a big 4x4 but I like to have one just in case.

Trouble is I can't go far because my current 4x4 only does about 12 MPG so I do get his point.

So what do you use & how is it? Especially if you can compare it to a 'proper' 4x4 - please no 'cars' as such - I won't go for a standard estate, it still needs to be 4WD but I could possibly go for something like a Tiguan or IX35...
Are you restricted by only having a B licence or do you have a B+E?

Northern Hare

Visit site
What about a Freelander? I know they get bad press, but I love mine and it (touch wood) hasn't let me down. It tows an Ifor Williams 505 with one horse no problems at all. The towing limit is 2,000kg. Mpg (without trailer) is around 40mpg.

Wheels

Visit site
Thanks morag, I had a 4l grand Cherokee on LPG before but didn't get anywhere near that mpg, more like 10 while actually using the LPG, a little more on the petrol.

We are looking for something new or fairly new still under warranty ideally

MuddyTB

Visit site
Slightly dreading the reaction to this but I've got a BMW X1. Tows 2000kg and handles my Ifor 510 and big horse no problem, (about 1600kg in total).
Does 46mpg combined, and better mpg when 60mph or less.

I wouldn't say it's a heavy duty tow car by any means, so if you want daily use for towing or are going across muddy fields it wouldn't work. But it tows me fine a couple of times a month and we've parked on dryish fields no bother.

pippixox

Visit site
my friend has a nissan x-trail, not sure on mpg, but better than the hefty 4x4s and can tow a trailer with one horse (think 2000kg tow weight, but not sure)

Wheels

Visit site
Hadn't thought about an x trail but they actually look very good.

Potentials in the right price bracket are x-trail, Hyundai I35, Volvo XC60 and VW tiguan. I'll take a closer look at these.

Anyone any more suggestions? Anyone tow with the above? What sort of realistic towing mpg do you get?

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
I've used an Xtrail for the past six years or so now. Great car gets about 40mpg not towing so easy on the diesel. I upgraded to the new model last year a top spec model and I love it.

Would highly recommend for towing everytime I've towed a friends horses with it they have been very impressed :)

Farma

Visit site
Hadn't thought about an x trail but they actually look very good.

Potentials in the right price bracket are x-trail, Hyundai I35, Volvo XC60 and VW tiguan. I'll take a closer look at these.

Anyone any more suggestions? Anyone tow with the above? What sort of realistic towing mpg do you get?

I have an ix35, its fine towing one horse and an ifor 505, it has a 2000kg capacity on the manual version but it doesn't feel like it has as much power as my previous merc c180 car towing the same weight, with a large horse in I guess I am towing around 1500kg to 1600kg so lots spare but I would not want to tow more. I would not buy it for the purpose of towing.

Wheels

Visit site
Thank you farma, that's the type of info I need. I would only be towing around 1300 kg but still, I will definitely take your comments on board

pipper

Visit site
What about a Hyundai santa fe 2L diesel? My friend has one to tow one horse and it does the job well without using a huge amount of fuel.

Wheels

Visit site
The Santa fe is probably a little over budget I think for the age I would like but wil look into a slightly older one

lucy1984

Visit site
I have a 2003 2 litre turbo diesel freelander. It pulls my 1150kg huge rice trailer with one horse in. It feels very balanced and you cannot tell you are towing! My freelander can only pull 1800kg so with my 600kg warmblood plus tack, plus me, I'm at my limit. I dont know about my diesel usage but compared to my 3 litre isuzu trooper it goes a long way! (I also commute 5 days a week to the city centre in it daily and I am forever stopping and starting wih the huge amount of traffic.)

Izzydonkey

Visit site
I tow with an 02 plate Hyundai Santa fe and it is very comfortable, with my 505 and 450kg pony on the back and can't even feel the difference and even with 2 in the trailer it still tows great. Also if you ever get a bigger trailer it has a 2.3 tonne limit so it pulls well, and not too bad on mileage either.

05troyd

Visit site
Have you looked at ford kuga 4x4. Must admit don't think it will get you out of a ploughed field but I find it a really good comfortable tower. I tow about 1300kg with trailer and one small horse normally but has limit of 2100kg and I have had a 16hh and 14hh in together and still felt it was really strong. I find it a much better tower than the x- trail we used to have and it gets reasonable fuel. I test drove the ix35 too but found it lacking in power. Someone may correct me with the reason but I don't understand why you don't see many at horse events - certainly see plenty towing caravans!

martlin

www.martlinequestrian.co.uk
I have an 03 reg X-trail, had it from new, done over 150K miles in it, it used to be very economical on fuel and plenty of power towing close to the 2t limit. Nowadays it struggles a bit, but it is a workhorse and I do use it in place of a small tractor for harrowing, pulling all sorts and carting livestock to markets. Bless the donkey, it's had a hard life and it will have to keep going for a while yet, because I just can't afford to replace it, it's still on its first clutch, though :)

Wheels

Visit site
Ford Kuga added to the list of possibilities - another I hadn't thought of

I really need to go and see some of them now - I would like the chance to take a couple of them out for test drives including being able to hook up my trailer. Will have to speak nicely to the sales people and hope they have some in with towbars

Foxy O

Visit site
I have a volvo XC60 4x4 well they call it AWD All Wheel Drive, I haven't towed in it yet but it does about 40mpg combined and could pull your trailer and horse. It is also lovely to drive and no blind spots in the mirrors.

Wheels

Visit site
Foxy are you intending to tow with it? Will you let me know if/when you do & how it goes? I really do like the look of these but with only a tow capacity of 1800kgs it is not really top of the list currently