Snakes in my hay!

TarrSteps

Visit site
Aww, I got all excited until I realised they were dead! I love snakes, and have seen one (huge!!) wild adder in my life, but never had any luck spotting grass snakes!

You need a trip to the New World. Apparently Australia has good snakes but I would suggest Canada (but then I would!) because ours are less likely to kill you.

GinaGeo

Visit site
I have had a football in my haylage but better than that put hand in to grab some of large round bale, just unwrapped but still whole and felt something warm. On closer inspection was whole nest baby rats ! Alive but still hairless, I tried to relocate the whole nest but they disappeared overnight, expect Mr Fox had them. I probable scared mummy rat off! told haylage guy and he was gobsmacked, we never did work out how they got in there as no holes in haylage wrap and no obvious mould on haylage which there would have been if there was a hole.

I was doing just fine until I read this. Just eugh! I'm feeling all queasy just thinking about it. Snakes = fine. Rats = disgusting...

3Beasties

Visit site
Should not have opened this thread!

backingout_zpsd6083f3b.gif

EAST KENT

Visit site
That is a slow worm..notice the blunt tail end? Like lizards they will dump their tail end to escape iof they get a fright,and this one previously had done just that. Used to keep them and other wild critters as a child. Gentle and completely harmless.

Izzydonkey

Visit site
Worst things I've found have been a used condom and a flat packed rabbit, the rabbit was pretty grim as it was in a bale of straw and I didn't notice till I was shaking it out and it wouldn't come apart

LynH

Visit site
I picked up a stick from one of the banks in my stables this week only to find it wasn't a stick but a dead rabbit's leg attached to the rest of a headless rabbit! I was so surprised that it wasn't a stick I screamed out loud. It must have been buried there by a fox.

Elsiecat

Visit site
Eleanor79 - yes it was still readable! It was in near enough perfect condition really. I didn't know what to do with it so I popped it on the shelves in the tack room and unfortunately after moving the horses stables I now have no idea where it is. I hope I find it in my stuff at some point as I will do my best to reunite it with her!
I'm sure the farmer said when I popped it into conversation once that the field was fertilised with some human waste? Or something? Whatever he said led me to believe it may have gone down a toilet at some point.

Exracehorse - I hope the baby wasn't in the combine! I clearly didn't seperate the hay well enough if that was the case!!

Last edited:

JustMeThen

Visit site
Eleanor79 - yes it was still readable! It was in near enough perfect condition really. I didn't know what to do with it so I popped it on the shelves in the tack room and unfortunately after moving the horses stables I now have no idea where it is. I hope I find it in my stuff at some point as I will do my best to reunite it with her!
I'm sure the farmer said when I popped it into conversation once that the field was fertilised with some human waste? Or something? Whatever he said led me to believe it may have gone down a toilet at some point.

That would be amazing to find her!

Megibo

Visit site
The usual, mummified rats, rabbits and shotgun shells. Or gun shells. Hopefully you know what I mean....

Though the other day I was at work and took the haynet down for one of the horses from the night before, thought to myself hmm how weird he didn't eat all of his haylage (horse is a hoover) tipped it out and there was a mummified wing, looked like it belonged to an owl!