Snares !!!!

zizz

Visit site
And? Perfectly legal, dog should have been under control. Snare wasn't set across the footpath for goodness sake!

Pedantic

Visit site
Yea, any animal suffering desperately in one of these, will be really pleased to know it's all perfectly legal, and because just like it's against the law to use a mobile whist driving, so nobody does that do they, the traps will be checked every day, won't they..

Orca

Visit site
I also think they should be banned. Even a second trapped in one for any animal must be a terrifying ordeal. Besides which, the gamekeepers comments "... he dismissed concerns about dogs becoming trapped, saying that nobody walked dogs in the area.", in response to owners whose dog had just been snared when walking in the area, beggar belief.

Clodagh

Visit site
We use them occasionally if we have a really lamp shy fox. They are checked a minimum of twice a day. People really shouldn't think it is acceptable to let their dogs run whereever they like. Poor dog though. At least the snare was correctly set with a limiter to stop it strangling the dog.

wench

Visit site
Why should it beggar belief? I would imagine he's sick of people thinking they can tramp where ever they feel. The dog clearly wasn't in plain view of the owner either.

Orca

Visit site
I also think they should be banned. Even a second trapped in one for any animal must be a terrifying ordeal. Besides which, the gamekeepers comments "... he dismissed concerns about dogs becoming trapped, saying that nobody walked dogs in the area.", in response to owners whose dog had just been snared when walking in the area, beggar belief.

Why should it beggar belief? I would imagine he's sick of people thinking they can tramp where ever they feel. The dog clearly wasn't in plain view of the owner either.

...because evidently, people do walk dogs in the area.

Pedantic

Visit site
It's a National Park, not someone's private land back garden or grazing field, over 500 views and only a handful of replies to this post, says an awful lot about so called animal lovers on here.

I wonder how many on here would be up in arms if this had been a horse rider who had had a nasty accident and horse seriously injured, because they had ridden through such an area not knowing that such barbaric things were there, "legal" or not.

If I can't put razor wire around my garden fence to keep out burglars, because he/she may injure themselves and sue me, how is it acceptable to put a dangerous snare in an area frequented by the public, seems a bit of a double standard "legal" wise.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
It's amazing they are legal, when I think of the hoops I have to jump through in my job. I don't think I knew they were still legal actually.

Sandstone1

Visit site
I thought they were illegal, it's disgusting that they are not. That people think they are ok to use in this day and age is worrying.

jrp204

Visit site
It wouldn't have happened if the dog had been on a lead. It should be law that dogs should be on leads on open ground or footpaths, maybe then farmers wouldn't have to be dealing with sheep with their faces and bellies ripped off.
The snare was legal and the picture shows it has worked properly, the dog was possibly more upset about not being able to get back to the owner. I don't agree with snares but can understand they have their uses when used properly.

HashRouge

Visit site
There is no suggestion that they were walking the dog anywhere they shouldn't have been - as Pedantic says, it's a national park, not someone's private garden. And as for people saying that the dog should have been on the lead - how many dog owners on here realistically keep their dog on the lead at all times? I'd imagine very few, going by what I usually read.

I had assumed that snares were illegal too, I'm quite surprised that they aren't!

popsdosh

Visit site
It's a National Park, not someone's private land back garden or grazing field, over 500 views and only a handful of replies to this post, says an awful lot about so called animal lovers on here.

I wonder how many on here would be up in arms if this had been a horse rider who had had a nasty accident and horse seriously injured, because they had ridden through such an area not knowing that such barbaric things were there, "legal" or not.

If I can't put razor wire around my garden fence to keep out burglars, because he/she may injure themselves and sue me, how is it acceptable to put a dangerous snare in an area frequented by the public, seems a bit of a double standard "legal" wise.

Maybe part of the national park but still somebodys private land , it is not publicly owned merely the owner allows access to parts of it.
There is nothing to stop you putting razor wire around your garden !

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site

ycbm

Visit site
Can I correct the misunderstanding about National Parks. The land in a National Park is owned in exactly the same way as land anywhere else in the country. In some, limited, areas there is a right to roam - to walk anywhere. Outside those areas people must stick to footpaths.

Since the gamekeeper didn't, apparently, accuse the walker of trespass, it seems quote likely that they were in the north west open access area, or on a footpath themselves, with the dog not far away.

Last edited:

ycbm

Visit site
I don't understand how it is legal to leave an animal trapped in a snare for twelve hours between checks. Foul things.

jrp204

Visit site
IMO, unless it is your land or you have permission from the landowner, dogs should be on a lead. If you want to be able to run a bit use a lunge line. Dogs are a luxury and owning one doesn't give the owner permission to let it off the lead when it suits them. As a sheep farmer it absolutely sickens me to see the damage people pets that 'wouldn't hurt a fly' do.

Evie91

Visit site
Another who is suprised snares are still legal. My neighbour sometimes uses a Larson trap - again legal.
I don't agree with either personally.
Was there sheep in the park? Is that why folks are stating the dog should have been on a lead? If so, I agree that it should have been.

jrp204

Visit site
Was there sheep in the park? Is that why folks are stating the dog should have been on a lead? If so, I agree that it should have been.[/QUOTE]

It doesn't say if there were sheep present, it is only my opinion that dogs should be on leads on open access land and footpaths, no doubt it is an opinion that will be shot down.

Evie91

Visit site
I would disagree jrp but won't shoot you down!!
I have no issue with dogs being off lead in parks etc as long as they are friendly (top people and dogs) and have good recall.
I think ALL dogs (except the farmers, working dogs obvs!)should be on leads in fields of sheep. It's the sheep's field and even the softest dog could cause stress by running around its field, let alone those who chase or attack.I think that should be a law.

jrp204

Visit site
I would disagree jrp but won't shoot you down!!
I have no issue with dogs being off lead in parks etc as long as they are friendly (top people and dogs) and have good recall.
I think ALL dogs (except the farmers, working dogs obvs!)should be on leads in fields of sheep. It's the sheep's field and even the softest dog could cause stress by running around its field, let alone those who chase or attack.I think that should be a law.

The trouble is everyone thinks their dogs have good recall, until it gets a scent/visual on something.

chillipup

Visit site
I don't understand how it is legal to leave an animal trapped in a snare for twelve hours between checks. Foul things.

12 hours? the codes of practice says a snare 'should' be checked at least once a day in the case of foxes. A day lasts 24hours so doesn't that mean that should the unfortunate animal become snared 5 minutes after a snare is set, it may well stay there for 23 hours and 55 minutes until it is checked again?

Because snares are indiscriminate, it may not be the intended animal which is snared. As said previously, it could well be a deer, badger, sheep, dog or anything else.

Clodagh

Visit site
IMO, unless it is your land or you have permission from the landowner, dogs should be on a lead. If you want to be able to run a bit use a lunge line. Dogs are a luxury and owning one doesn't give the owner permission to let it off the lead when it suits them. As a sheep farmer it absolutely sickens me to see the damage people pets that 'wouldn't hurt a fly' do.

We don't object to dogs being off lead but people tend not the realise that the footpath rule applies to your dog, not just you. The number of people we have on the farm who are on the footpath while their dog hpapily draws the game cover 3 fields away and are amazed and angry when you ask them to call it back. I wish we had the money to Heras fence all our footpaths like a cattle farmer did last year.

twiggy2

Visit site

My dogs have always been let off lead every day of their lives (except when injured), I used to live on a beef and arable farm and the dogs at that time were trusted around stock, I have worked with goats a lot over the years and when they are 8-10 weeks old the dogs have been introduced to the milkers, my lurchers have always been on lead around sheep and other live stock-I work with those at times too. Please don't tar all dog owners with the same brush.

Equi

Visit site
Not read the replies, cause i'm sure its just an argument of the for and against, but personally i think they are barbaric and i'm not anti-hunting in any way. The only time snares should be used is if you are lost in the wilderness and the only way to feed yourself is to snare a rabbit. As pest control...they are indiscriminate, cruel and horrifically painful slow deaths.

YasandCrystal

Visit site
Snares are barbaric and they should not be in use. I believe in reincarnation and one can only wish the life of a persecuted animal on folk who use snares. Everyone is sidetracking the issue here. The article makes no reference that the dog was in an area it shouldn't have been.