So dangerous - riding in the dark with a tabard only...

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
... no Hi viz on the horse and no lights.

I've been told by several people to watch out for the above (they have all been very upset because they didn't see her with dipped headlights until they were really close to the horse's unlit hind legs). I hope that I see the rider soon because I will stop and explain to her exactly how difficult it is to see her. Unfortunately I don't know where she lives.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I was shocked. I really hope that someone talks to her before an accident happens. I have been told that she's an older teenager, but possibly doesn't drive yet herself, so she just doesn't understand that a tabard just isn't enough to make her visible.

She was seen heading out for a ride at approx 5.15pm last week.

thatsmygirl

Visit site
We have a stupid rider that's been riding with nothing. Honestly been rolling up at the yard at 6pm with no hi viz. Might of been light when she went out but not when she got home

ladyt25

Visit site
I don't know why anyone thinks it's ok to ride in the dark even if they are lit up like a beacon! drivers just do not expect to see a horse on the road in the dark so you're just asking for trouble in my opinion.

We saw a girl like as described in the OP the other week - hardly visible at all and i just hope she was caught out and didn't realise it got dark so early and was heading back to the nearby yard.

Flame_

Visit site
I don't know why anyone thinks it's ok to ride in the dark even if they are lit up like a beacon! drivers just do not expect to see a horse on the road in the dark so you're just asking for trouble in my opinion.

Drivers never expect to see a horse on the road! I think riding at night is fine if that's what you want to do and you're in an area where its possible, but lights are essential.

prettypony95

Visit site
We were driving back from a show last weekend, it was around 5pm so getting pretty dark by then, and on a long and windy road going towards the yard there were 2 youngish girls on ponies with only their hi viz vests on, no other form of hi viz or flashy lights on but luckily we saw them just in time and luckily we weren't going fast, it's a 50mph road :eek::eek: grrr it really annoyed me because if it was some idiot doing like 50mph they would have been hit!

ladyt25

Visit site
Well Flam I guess, I'll just have to disagree. It's difficult enough when cyclists are out at night even though they're generally lit up pretty well. I think it's just dangerous to ride a horse out in the dark and don't see why anyone would do it intentionally. Maybe these people live in areas with street lights - I guess then it may be easier but where I live we don't have any street lights so when it's dark it's dark!

Herpesas

Visit site
I nearly took out two joggers the other night as they were running down a country lane with just hi-vis seams on their clothes (not even a tabbard) and no lights!

I wouldn't risk riding on the roads in the dark, lit or not, but I understand some people have to. :(

Twinkley Lights

Visit site
Someone was trying a horse in the dark by floodlight at the dealer's next door the other week. Not an issue you are thinking ... it was 8pm on bonfire night and like the Gaza strip ... she was saying that the horse was lively, I could see it's eyes thru the hedge poor beast:(

Spiritedly

Visit site
Round my way there seemed to be quite a few people trick or treating with their horses this year....some weren't too bad and only out early whilst it was still light but others were going round at 7-8pm and apparently there were some spotted at 2am :eek:
I'm all for having a good time with your horses/ ponies but people need to think about whether the risks are greater than the fun. :(

dumpling

Visit site
I was out hacking the other afternoon and got caught as darkness fell. I had a massive hi viz jacket on , excercise sheet , boots etc and even then I didn't feel 100% safe or bright so I certainly wouldn't choose to ride in the dark.

katymay

Visit site
Shockingly enough, we were driving home about twenty to five last saturday and it was really getting dim outside, its a country lane but a wide one and there are lots of fast drivers using it as a cut through, spotted, (only just) two riders two abreast absolutely no hi-vis, just starting their ride as I know where they are stabled, so would have been dark by the time they have returned, the worrying thing is they are both vets, one a small animal and one a large animal, i.e horses, I was so shocked!

StormyMoments

Visit site
i try my very best never to ride in the dark or get back before its dark but if there is no helping it i have hi-vis leg wraps for the horses, reflective exercise sheet, reflective bridle parts, reflective breast plate, reflective full chaps, reflective coat, reflective hat band. lights wise i have 6 across their bum, the middle one at the top is brightest so is on constant and the others flash. at the front they have on flashing bright one on their breast plate, one between the horses ears on constant and then i have a head light and leg lights... i dont think there is anything i could add tbh :eek: but i hate riding in the dark as cyclists seem to be oblivious to the fact that they cant be seen that well :(

smokey

Visit site
I personally wouldn't ride out in the dark, but as others have said, it's not just riders who are a problem, jogger s and dog walkers are as bad. I nearly hit a dog walker last night, dressed all in dark clothes, with 2 dogs running free. She was crossing the road and the dogs were following her. Saw her just in time, and narrowly missed her dog. I was doing 15mph, over a speed bump when my lights caught her. Similarly a man walking alone on a country lane, no pavement, dark clothes, it's crazy!

redriverrock

Visit site
I cant imagine why anyone would want to ride on the road in the dark even with lights and high viz etc. Even if drivers can see you Im pretty sure it must be difficult to gauge distances as who would expect it to be such a slow moving object??

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Someone was trying a horse in the dark by floodlight at the dealer's next door the other week. Not an issue you are thinking ... it was 8pm on bonfire night and like the Gaza strip ... she was saying that the horse was lively, I could see it's eyes thru the hedge poor beast:(

Mmmm, that's ONE way to thoroughly try out a horse!!! Just the sort of thing I'd do TBH, you'd at least know what it would be like then in a worse case scenario.

katia

Visit site
Nope, I would never ride out in the dark either! As smokey said, dog walkers and cyclists are a problem here too... So scary for a driver when they pop up out of nowhere! :-/

JoannaC

Visit site
Agree wouldn't intentially ride in the dark but it's easy to get caught out this time of year as the nights draw in as it seems to change so quickly every day. However I always wear hi viz whatever the time of day or weather conditions.