So fed up! Poor BE record stopping my talented Mare selling!

Jesstickle

Visit site
I will usually look for an allrounder type to hunt regularly throughout the winter, and if they have a BE record I will search it. There is nothing worse than hunting a gutless horse therefore bravery over any fence is absolutely up there on my tick list.

Difference of opinion then because I want my all rounder to hunt too and I wouldn't write one off necessarily for its XC record as I don't think they are particularly similar. I would worry more about its ability to go XC alone as that is a known problem.

Best hunter I had only went hunting in the first place as he was a bit heartless on his own. He was absolutely lovely to hunt and he'd jump anything.

Last edited:

Copperpot

Visit site
When I bought my horse I looked up his BE record even though I probably will never do one.

Dressage was hit and miss, 20 through to 54, but I'm not interested in that. SJ was fairly ok. Odd pole. But xc he has jumped clear up to BE100 plus whatever that is and had 20 pens in his 2 goes at novice. As I only want to hunt him and the odd hunter trial that was more than good enough for me 😊 he had a few time faults on some outings but as he's only a little pip it didn't worry me either.

More importantly he's good to hack alone and with others, loads himself and will always help me out, so I felt safe on him.

melbiswas

Visit site
Re the hunter/ eventer issue; a little while ago a MFH told me that sometimes a horse that has mainly hunted can be lacking in confidence going XC solo and conversely ex- eventers can be upset by the jumping en masse in the hunting field.

She advised that therefore being excellent in one sphere does not guarantee the other. We were told not to attempt hunting our retired eventer unless we were feeling very brave!

TarrSteps

Visit site
I know nothing about hunters but I've now run into quite a few that people have bought out of that job to event/compete and it's pretty clear success in one sphere does not guarantee anything in another.

If the OP wanted to promote the mare as a hunter I'd suggest photos and even, if possible, a recommendation from a member of the hunt or other established hunting person. I don't think a weakness in one area has to be problem if strength can be shown in another area.

PorkChop

Visit site
I agree that they are two different sports.

My hunter would never have evented and my eventer was a nightmare to hunt!

dafthoss

Visit site
The YP has become a cracking hunter despite never really taking to eventing or competing of any sort.

Dizzle

Visit site
A quick look through your threads, then googling a horse's name you mention brings up a BE record which fits the horse you are selling.

It also brings up a lot of postswhich appears to paint the horse in a very different light to £6k of all rounder maybe it would be an idea to google your own horse and spend a bit of time clearing up her internet history as everything I've found about the horse sounds awful (which I'm sure she isn't you just used it for venting bad news but if you are parting with a large sum of money you worry about these things).

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I have a horse that is fast, bold and always clear XC, but I would never take her hunting, she would hate all the waiting and being behind, she would go mental.

OP I think that your £4500 valuation was pushing it, your trainer's valuation of 6k would only be sensible if she was consistent and hadn't any issues. It's no good just valuing the horse on good days alone, you've got to be realistic.