So, I’m picking up a spaniel this week.

Clodagh

Visit site
Keep going, you wouldn't expect a pup to progress this quickly and she's a pup in an adults body. Spaniels are always 3 steps forward, 2 back.
2 forward 3 back more likely! I know your trainer said to be super hard on her but it gets me down more than her.
You are right that we have made enormous progress on the whole but training is my hobby and she is work! And I love the labs and don’t like them to hate going out with her.

Last edited:

Clodagh

Visit site
She shouldn't be getting the chance to get to the other dog....! Placeboard (yes, I'm going to keep saying placeboard) and she is behind and slightly left or right of you. Toss dummy in front. OH sends his dog to pick and you make sure she stays on that board and massive praise when she does, toss her a tennis ball, treats whatever works. Work up to her going out for a dummy just as other dog is returning theirs to hand so she's focused on that new dummy thrown (rabbit ball, whatever you need to keep it higher value) and not what is in Ffee's gob. It's not even a week since we talked about this issue - give her time, you wouldn't expect a kid to have a new skill down by now.

ETA - no scruffing needed, we use "the hand of shame". Walk out, catch dog and place hand calmly over eyes while repeating whatever command is needed (leave it, stop whistle etc). It seems to defuse the situation and calm them down slightly...it came from a Ben Randall training day originally I think

Fair point about that she shouldn’t able to get to the other dog. It only happened once today.
Now Labradors can learn skills in a week ?
She will sit while other dog retrieves, if you ignore the whingeing, it’s when you try to send her for one. She seems completely indifferent to praise or yelling. She is so focussed on that dummy.
Will try the eye thing. Scruffing is horrible.
Thank you.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Yes, remember I’m a complete amateur!

I only ask because when I throw balls for multiple dogs, they all have their own commands, and none ever go for each other’s (they also all have their own specific ball). Is this something that could work for the Spaniel? Or would the common aim make it too complicated?

Clodagh

Visit site
I only ask because when I throw balls for multiple dogs, they all have their own commands, and none ever go for each other’s (they also all have their own specific ball). Is this something that could work for the Spaniel? Or would the common aim make it too complicated?
They go on their name. I don’t train Pen with Pep as would be an understandable confusion.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
We used to tell the others ‘Not yours’ to avoid confusion. They would sit quietly while the other retrieved. It took practice, particularly when Brig decided he loved dummies but ignored balls. Three in a row and a hand up, never touching the dog.

They say labs are born half trained and spaniels die half trained. Give it time.

Roxylola

Visit site
My spaniel isn't naturally brave with other dogs which helps but I taught her a solid leave and I've done lots of wait and retrieves with her. The two things just inhibit her enough, she'll consider going and then hold back. She also will handily retrieve when she's sent to it - comes in useful when other owners over estimate their dogs swimming enthusiasm- we've rescued a few balls for people

Clodagh

Visit site
We used to tell the others ‘Not yours’ to avoid confusion. They would sit quietly while the other retrieved. It took practice, particularly when Brig decided he loved dummies but ignored balls. Three in a row and a hand up, never touching the dog.

They say labs are born half trained and spaniels die half trained. Give it time.
That the labs can do. I can’t work out why she’s so different. Because she was kept in a large day run with up to 20 other dogs and fought for toys? I know yours play with toys at home. The labs do a bit, but no fighting for them.

Clodagh

Visit site
My spaniel isn't naturally brave with other dogs which helps but I taught her a solid leave and I've done lots of wait and retrieves with her. The two things just inhibit her enough, she'll consider going and then hold back. She also will handily retrieve when she's sent to it - comes in useful when other owners over estimate their dogs swimming enthusiasm- we've rescued a few balls for people
I’m having a training session with my go to man next week and have asked him to bring a bull headed, unquashable dog. I’ll take Ffee as well. It will be interesting to see if she is better with an unknown.

druid

Visit site
Mine all go by name - and we play leap frog, a lot, before tests and trials. All dogs sat up remotely and send throw retrieve out sending dogs past each other and between eachother to test steadienss. I also like to shout random phrases like "Send you dog" "Do you want that bird?" "Dog out" etc that they may encounter during a test/trial scenario also

maisie06

Visit site
I used to clip the Cavalier's ears to keep them free from food. Is that an acceptable practice in working dogs?

Absolutley!! Although I have been banned from trimming as I cut burrs out of one spanners ears and he ended up with one ear about 4 inches longer than the other!!!!!

maisie06

Visit site
Not overbreeding, just breeding them to move and hunt like cocaine fuelled weasels. Some of mine spin, some don't has bugger all relation to their COI

My cocker spins, the springer just sits and shakes when adrenaline kicks in and does the lifting a front paw thing.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
That the labs can do. I can’t work out why she’s so different. Because she was kept in a large day run with up to 20 other dogs and fought for toys? I know yours play with toys at home. The labs do a bit, but no fighting for them.

Bear only plays tug with the neighbour. He is otherwise unbothered. The little ones play endlessly, although after 2 hours at the neighbour’s, they are all flat out! (probably a food coma given how many treats she ladles into them!)

My cocker spins, the springer just sits and shakes when adrenaline kicks in and does the lifting a front paw thing.

Mitch does that, he looks very smart, like a proper HPR.

Clodagh

Visit site
A positive update. On her own in the garden with only food rewards (leaving the garden, having a companion or me holding a ball are all too much excitement!).
She will stop on the whistle, even while walking next to me and I keep going. I can walk or run a large circle around her, I can walk past her. She will recall and stop while coming back.
Now I just need to get that with Adrenalin involved ?

Clodagh

Visit site
I’m sure I’ve posted about her between then and now but just got an update.
She went on her first shoot on Friday ( beat one, stand one) and was paw perfect. Has also passed a test to be allowed to work on the estuary. I don’t know much about that but it sounds fabulous.
she’s living the dream’!

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I’m sure I’ve posted about her between then and now but just got an update.
She went on her first shoot on Friday ( beat one, stand one) and was paw perfect. Has also passed a test to be allowed to work on the estuary. I don’t know much about that but it sounds fabulous.
she’s living the dream’!

How fabulous!

P3LH

Visit site
Sounds the ideal home - I really do think the spaniels who are actually working bred, as opposed to just being working type, really need a lot to keep them happy. Years ago we kept going for four years with ours, naively purchased out of some of the finest FTCH dogs in the world including both parents - and in the end realised it was wrong for him, let alone it driving us nuts. Prompted by my mothers health at the time too. He went to friends with a horse stud, and was used for rough shooting - and lives his days long and happy. A world away from a neurotic, shadow chasing, no recall, cat slaughtering maniac he was with us.