So, I’m picking up a spaniel this week.

Clodagh

Visit site
I feel the need to sit in a dark room.
She has worked on a shoot but has done nothing bar have a litter for the last couple of years. She’s ball obsessed and very greedy, which bodes well for training.
She’s bigger than I remember, just on the small side of normal.
Her Grandsire is Buccleuch Pepper, a kennel name even I have heard of!
I’m quite excited in a ‘I hope my husband can forgive me’ sort of way. ?
Now to book some ‘how to train a spaniel’ lessons ?

TheChestnutThing

Visit site
SPANIEL SPANIEL SPANIEL SPANIEL BALL BALL BALL SPANIEL SPANIEL SPANIEL SPANIEL BALL BALL BALL....If she is anything like mine, this will be your day 24 hours a day every day....it's amazing! Until you get a muddy ball plopped on your white show breeches at 10pm as you are trying to pack for a show....still would not change the crazy spaniel for anything in the world.

Enjoy her!

maisie06

Visit site
I feel the need to sit in a dark room.
She has worked on a shoot but has done nothing bar have a litter for the last couple of years. She’s ball obsessed and very greedy, which bodes well for training.
She’s bigger than I remember, just on the small side of normal.
Her Grandsire is Buccleuch Pepper, a kennel name even I have heard of!
I’m quite excited in a ‘I hope my husband can forgive me’ sort of way. ?
Now to book some ‘how to train a spaniel’ lessons ?

That's some seriously nice breeding there! A friend has a dog of that line and it's phenomonel!

Oh and you don't train spaniels - they train you!!

Clodagh

Visit site
She’s a funny little thing and not without her issues. I can’t post pics until I get her home. She’s black and white and not terribly pretty.
She will be kennelled, she never has been in a house. She walks in circles the whole time, so far as I saw yesterday, carrying a ball. Like a bear at the zoo. She’ll be terribly one sided but her nails won’t need cutting. ?. I’m feeling fairly positive. In between thinking WTF !

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
She’s a funny little thing and not without her issues. I can’t post pics until I get her home. She’s black and white and not terribly pretty.
She will be kennelled, she never has been in a house. She walks in circles the whole time, so far as I saw yesterday, carrying a ball. Like a bear at the zoo. She’ll be terribly one sided but her nails won’t need cutting. ?. I’m feeling fairly positive. In between thinking WTF !

Lucky girl xx

Michen

Visit site
Every one of my friends who have (working) spanners who adore and are ball obsessed have trained their dog to switch off and not be like that in the house. There is just no need for them to be hectic all the time. Of the ten spaniels I know well none of them are like that or remotely exhausting to be around and they all have huge drive.

Lucky dog C, can’t wait to see pics!

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
Very exciting! Will look forward to pics and updates :)

My brother's spaniel has just had pups and I so wish we could have one. Although even without Ivy I'm not sure we could keep up with a spaniel!

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site

Spaniels can be very obsessive. I know one that just goes round the garden in circles (not mine). It makes me so sad.

You'll be fine, C, she will have a good life with you. Her looks will improve and grow on you. Ugly duckling syndrome? Goose was not pretty at the start!

Can't wait for pics!

Clodagh

Visit site
So she’s just been in season and ‘may have been caught by a Labrador’. But ‘hopefully not’. Having a litter was not in my immediate plans. Fingers crossed the hopefully not is accurate.
For travelling… I have a dog box and I think she’ll be safer in it wearing a collar and light lead. She can’t strangle herself in there can she? I’m just thinking as she is nervous me reaching in to put a lead on will be intimidating and she’ll either bite or bolt. I may be overthinking but I want to get day 1 right.

Annette4

Visit site
When we bought Ginny home I popped her in the box with a thin lead attached and fed out the door then popped a slip lead on her to actually get her out. Not ideal but it was such a long drive we needed to stop for toilet breaks and I had the same worries about her bolting.

Michen

Visit site
So she’s just been in season and ‘may have been caught by a Labrador’. But ‘hopefully not’. Having a litter was not in my immediate plans. Fingers crossed the hopefully not is accurate.
For travelling… I have a dog box and I think she’ll be safer in it wearing a collar and light lead. She can’t strangle herself in there can she? I’m just thinking as she is nervous me reaching in to put a lead on will be intimidating and she’ll either bite or bolt. I may be overthinking but I want to get day 1 right.

Morning after jab thingy? Not sure how many days after it can be used.

Michen

Visit site

I would never put a dog in anything with a collar on, friend bred a lovely litter of labs and at it's new home one puppy hanged itself inside it's crate getting it caught.

That said I can see the potential issue so bit of a catch 22!

Clodagh

Visit site
It was about 2 weeks ago, if it happened. ?.
CC, being dim, what’s FTW? Either Full Time Wearing or Field Trial Winner!? ?