So I bought a Cobbler....tell me about them

ElleSkywalker

As excited as Kitty about to be a bridesmaid
Visit site
I bought a little Cobbler earlier this month as she's fantastic on the roads and steady as pie which is what my manky leg needs. She's only 4 but a very good girl. I've never had one before and always thought if I had one I'd whip all its feathers off and hog it's mane but she is very beautiful in all her cobby glory so am finding my self wanting to keep her traditional looking. I also have half a mind to show her a bit as she's nicely marked (I think) so need to know stuff about how to keep cobby feather clean, tails white and manes from becoming a tangled mess 😂 And anything else I need to know about cobblers 😊

IMG-20181202-WA0001.jpg

blitznbobs

Visit site
Names and tails are fairly easy - it’s their jocks that are the bigger to keep from yellowing ... I’ve never managed it tbh and resort to chalk the day before a big show ... other than that do not put a rug over mane, if you are serious about showing then bagging mane and tails is the way to go - if you aren’t thinking of hoys/ poys etc then good ole fashioned neglect...

ElleSkywalker

Visit site
I love that nose. I thought she had a muzzle on to begin with and then realised it was her markings! You have read *that* cob thread though haven't you? Just so you know what you're letting yourself in for ;)

Good old Shils cob thread? Yers know it well 😊

Her nose doesnt photograph well, she's actually got a little snip too and Harry potter mark under her chin but haven't managed to get good pics yet. She has a very small lady like delicate little head, it's smaller than my NF x freisan and tb x welsh x friesians heads! None of my head collars fit properly and the universal fits everyone bridle is on all the smallest holes 😮

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
It sounds as if you have already found out the most important thing about yours - she is sensible! Our first horse was a bay cob gelding, his mane and tail hair was so coarse that you could easily cut your fingers on it. His black points were easy to keep clean;) My current cob also has dark points, thank goodness but we did also have one very similarly marked to yours, we didn't do anything special with her feather but fortunately she was very good to bath.:)

They have all been very good at looking after themselves and their humans. Yours is gorgeous!

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
How does it work? Just brush it on? 😳

I have it in a fairy liquid bottle, squeeze some into my hand and run it through like I'm putting conditioner through my hair.

My friend has a traditional cob and they are fabulous horses. They condition the feathers approx monthly just with regular human conditioner (patch test first). The mane is incredibly long and thick so spends almost all of its time in long plaits, sometimes split both sides of the neck. Some can get spooky if the forelock blocks their vision, so plaiting that in a single long plait is sensible too.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
She's lovely! I do pull, clip and trim but do see the traditional appeal, just not for me, I'm too lazy to keep ours clean that way!
He's our first cob and ive been stunned at his nimbleness and speed. He's a naturally more uphill type and is very forward going. If my daughters riding him and I'm on my tb he can leave us for dust!

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
He is gorgeous lass :)

The main thing with ours have been keeping the weight off and managing their stubborn streak. Oh, and they're far too intelligent for their own good :D

Little Cob turned his hoof to dressage, cross-country, and a bit of showjumping, and gymkhana games. Love the bones of him. Kept his feathers and he had the absolutely thickest tail ever. Look out for mites. They'll cause much back of leg and arse scratching.

Titch is clever and cheeky. I'm not yet sure I'm up to the challenge!

I hope you have very many happy years together :)

Leo Walker

Visit site
I've always gone the total neglect route and mine have had an over abundance of hair! I think you either need to leave them be or take it very seriously and be a bit OTT about it. The middle ground seems to be the worst!

I used to wash and condition tails and then plait them up out of the way. It kept them relatively clean and stopped them becoming utterly filthy dreadlocks. But other than that I left well alone in the winter!

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Nice looking young mare. A good cob can do pretty much anything you and she/he agree to do together. I've had an unruly gift-cob (as in: take it away, I never want to see the git again!) turn into a super display and stunt horse who did everything from jousting to riding through fire (after some serious re-negotiations as to who the in-charge person was: i.e not the cob). Best of luck together.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
awwww she's such a cutie <3

no practical advice, but hope you have years of fun with her. A friend has a young one who is an absolute star pony, loves jumping and has the most rhythmical paces for such a green pony, I love him (though he's a total thug on the ground ;) )

ElleSkywalker

Visit site
She is beautiful! I lost my little traditional cob a few months ago and I miss her so much. She changed my life in ways I never imagined and my heart is still broken into a thousand pieces.
I hope you have many years of fun together x

So sorry for your loss, lost the love of my life in Nov too. This little girl is nothing like her at all which is very good as I don't want to compare.

sollimum

Visit site
She looks gorgeous. I never planned to buy a traditional cob. He was younger than I wanted and much hairer! I love him dearly and he tries so hard to please. I bought him from a showing yard, fully clipped with a pulled mane and that is how I have kept him. He grew from 6ft to 6ft 6 rugs! Hope you have fun with your girl.

ElleSkywalker

Visit site
She looks gorgeous. I never planned to buy a traditional cob. He was younger than I wanted and much hairer! I love him dearly and he tries so hard to please. I bought him from a showing yard, fully clipped with a pulled mane and that is how I have kept him. He grew from 6ft to 6ft 6 rugs! Hope you have fun with your girl.

Do you have any pics? Have only seen properly hairy beasts or hogged and clipped not seen one with a pulled mane 😊

AdorableAlice

Visit site
I have an outsized cob. Pig oil is useful stuff for keeping feathers and legs in general, in good order. It prevents mud sticking. Also useful on thick tails. I cut the hair off the underneath of the dock to prevent the tail getting too heavy and ending up caked in SH one T. I also cut tails short and pull manes, I don't do the traditional look as I wouldn't have the time to care for all the hair !

Be diligent with skin care, there can easily be a house of horrors under those feathers.

Ridden wise, take your time in walk to establish balance and straightness. Most cobs will pull themselves along on the forehand and rush. Half halt is your friend. Getting and/or keeping them fit is hard work, mine still tires easily even though he is now 7. He is a fast forward type with a high level of anxiety so that is probably part of the problem, along with his 800kg frame.

Many have really broad foreheads and need a big browband. Tongue comfort is also worth considering when choosing a bit. Some are tricky for rug fitting and end up throttled. My cob only needs a light rug even when fully clipped and is very easily over heated if over rugged. Schooled properly they can be great fun and able to turn their hoof to most activities. Good luck and have fun with him.

ElleSkywalker

Visit site
Thanks AA, she's more a Martha or AA's mum type as she's only about 14.2hh rather than a Ted. She actually got a tiny little head too. I have a feeling her mum might have a been a fell but am waiting on reply from her breeders. Her dad was 15.2hh heavy traditional cob. I've found bucas rugs fit her but at present she only wears it if it's actually raining 😊 she deceptively small, this rug is 5'9 and swamps her 😁IMG-20181227-WA0006.jpg

thommackintosh

Visit site
She's a real head turner. Lovely looking.
You're lucky she's got a decent amount of black on her, that'll make keeping her looking clean so much easier ;)

A couple of godsends for us.
1. Cowboy magic green spot remover is brill for stable stains.
2. Purple shampoo is great for getting the white bits gleaming - I use touch of silver from Home Bargains

Oh, and something I think can be quite common with cobby shortbacks is over-reaching so we rarely go out without a set of boots on.

Have fun :)