So I think I’ve found her...

Upthecreek

Visit site
How trustworthy is YO? I know several who send all new clients to their friendly dealer, while getting a backhand in return so not being truely impartial. There is no doubt you must hack this horse before vetting it - unless you want to set yourself up for heartache and possible financial problems. If you already feel a bit nervous it may be this horse is more than you will be able to handle when its just you and her. There is no reason you cant rearrange the vetting having hacked the horse first.
It is definitely not uncommon for YO to have mutually beneficial arrangements with dealers. One local to me gets 10% of purchase price if sale goes through & obviously adds another horse to her yard, which she most probably also makes £££ from in schooling fees when it all goes pear shaped.

Upthecreek

Visit site
so anyway... I didn’t get her. Wasn’t happy with the YO attitude in the end. Very rushed and think she just saw me as a pound note rather than had my interests at heart. I’m going to concentrate more on looking around yards for a while and on my horse that I share.
I think you made a wise decision. It’s very easy to let the heart rule the head and also to be swayed by people trying to push you in a certain direction. The experience will only help you when you are ready to buy.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
so anyway... I didn’t get her. Wasn’t happy with the YO attitude in the end. Very rushed and think she just saw me as a pound note rather than had my interests at heart. I’m going to concentrate more on looking around yards for a while and on my horse that I share.

Good decision.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site

Is this the YO of where you were going to keep her? If so, yes I would also look for another yard. I would keep an eye open for what is on the market, one may just drop on you when you see the advert. Maybe put a card in a local tack shop? Ask at the local riding club? In fact, volunteering at the local riding club would be very advantageous as you are networking as well as learning.

Newtothegeegees

Visit site
Quite a big roller coaster and all in a week! What I didn’t say in my last post was that I had to go back to the yard to see my lovely share horse and the YO was there... I was so embarrassed as I felt as though I had mucked her around by asking her for help with the dealer, stables and vets etc - she didn’t actually do anything as I already pulled the plug on vetting etc but she text me to say I had cost her money (from lessons she was going to do when I had asked her to attend vetting that I had now cancelled) and she had allocated me a stable - which is quite odd as the morning I was having doubts I text her to ask what stable I would be allocated and she replied with a curt ‘I don’t know yet’. This added to my already anxious brain as I would be paying top livery so expected her to know especially as horse would have been arriving in a week. I understand there are yard politics involved here. I told her straight away I would pay anything I had inconvenienced her for but she didn’t reply. Anyway when I saw her she completely blanked me.
So now I have to decide if I want to keep sharing my horse at that yard or just cut all ties and go elsewhere. I love the owners of my share horse they are so nurturing and understanding I would be gutted to leave them but the YO has made me feel awkward and maybe I shouldn’t have let it get that far.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I think from that it was clear that the yard owner was going to get a cut from the dealer of what you paid for the horse. And that it seems very likely she was anticipating big payments from you to teach you how to ride the green horse you had been sold that she already knew was not right for a first time owner.

You've had a lucky escape!

As an aside, you need your expert to attend the viewing, not the vetting. What was she going to go to that for?

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
giver her a couple of days and see if her attitude towards you changes, if not it may be better to find another yard to keep your new horse at (when you get him/her) as you will be always on edge if you stay...its a shame you have had such a bad first experience of getting your own horse but may be best in the long run. i was at a yard for over 8 years and after YO's husband walked out on her she seemed to blame us and made life difficult. my friend and i decided to leave as we couldnt cope with her attitude and found a yard which was much better for the same money so sometimes life takes you in different directions for a reason.

Dwyran_gold

Visit site
Holy moly, there’s a lot of info on this thread. Lol some really good advice! I remember when I was looking for my first horse, I really liked him, id been and tested it in and out with and without company etc and my vet did the check and said “this horse is too stiff so hes not passed, he’s not the one, sorry” I was gutted and the owner went crazy at him for failing him for it. Anyway, a month later I tested another horse, he was dun ISH, I fell in love with this one! the vet did the checks and said “see the difference in his movement, he’s passed and I like him, this is the one” and I had him for 10 years :)
Not much point to my story other then it’ll work out and you’ll find your one. Fingers crossed for you xx

SO1

Visit site
I think you have had a near miss on that one. I expect the YO and dealer have a symbiotic relationship. Did the spooky share horse come from that dealer?

If there is a local Riding Club I would suggest joining it, they will know all the yards in the area and the pro's and con's for each one. They may also know horses coming up for sale that might be suitable for you that are experienced horses that are reliable and suitable as a first horse. Most dealers are experienced riders and you need a horse that have been in amateur home and lived the lifestyle that it would live with you and been happy in the environment. A 5 year old is too much of a risk. If hacking is important to you then you need a horse that has been regularly hacking out alone and in company with an amateur rider and you need to test it out before the vetting.