so... im in hospital!

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
As only one leg is beggared, you are 50% fit, so really looking at 2 weeks to hobble, two to re-hab and just another two before a test ride.
I can recommend physio asap as they really know about limbs.
Feeling sorry for you, so no need for you to feel sorry for yourself. Think of all the magic things you can catch up on while recpurating. As soon as you are almost 25)% OK they will show you the door. [hugs]
Rest Ice Elevation forever!

Hoof_Prints

Visit site
Hi everyone, had surgery at 9am this morning, still really groggy but it went well, very surreal experience! I started typing this hours ago then fell sleep, morphine is working! Have had physio to walk on crutches, got a bit upset when they got me on them as it seems a bit real now :( apparently there are a few other riders in here too. A chap on a hunt ride who's horse was in a ditch and another rider had to dismount and help him, sounds just like an article I read on HHO about a hunt race which is local to me, so I'm assuming is the same chap. apologies if its badly written, I'm quite drugged up!

NorthDevonTraveller

Visit site
Hi, I dislocated ankle and broke tibia/fibula in December. Now sporting lots of metal work on both sides of leg (4 hours of surgery). Main advice is elevation is everything, especially if you are in plaster. Standard treatment is 6 weeks in plaster and bones will continue to heal for another 3 weeks after plaster off. You will probably be encouraged to put your foot to the floor for the last few weeks in plaster which will be a huge relief because crutches really ****** up your hands. My problem now is not the bones but all the soft tissue damage. NHS doctors and physios have been excellent, but due to walking around too much trying to get fitter I now have a very hard, wooden muscle on the outside of my calf, which will get worse if I continue. Plaster came off at the beginning of Feb, but have been given a stern talking to by the physios to take it easier or create more problems. Apparently I should only be on my feet for around an hour at a time before taking a break. The skin on my foot also goes red which is another sign of overdoing it. So my main message is do what the experts tell you, and don't push it for the sake of getting back on asap. Ask lots of questions - doctors/physios can be a bit hazy about what riding entails, especially if you are a competitive rider. Loosing the plaster was very emotional and quite scary, it improved when they stuck a tubigrip and sock back on, as it felt more 'normal'. If you are in pain then ring the bell - I found they tend to only give you pills if you ask, but they also kept saying there is no need for anyone to be in pain. Your emotions will probably be all over the place, mine are after having been told to carry on taking it easy. Certainly for my type of injury it will be around 12 months before everything has really settled. I was off work for 3 months and just gone back now, thankfully they offered a phased return or else I would have been totally out of my depth. Apologies if some of this sounds a bit blunt, but it is my experience - NHS staff wonderful but miracles such as complete healing take a little longer. I feel for you and everyone else in the same position. Take care.

Annagain

Visit site
Ouch, hope you feel better (without the help of morphine) soon. So did your foot literally burst open due to the crush injury? I've not seen that happen before. I find this sort of thing fascinating. If I had my time again I'd choose medicine I think.

FionaM12

Visit site
Ouch OP that looks horrific! Feet are so painful. :(

I hope you heal very soon.

Lucky you having dishy Dr’s mine were all very ageing when in fracture clinic last week and as for the old bag in cardiology she was nearing OAP status.

I find the term "old bag" really unpleasant. :( Presumably this experienced, professional lady helped you and doesn't deserve the insult?

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
What did they do in surgery? Waking up afterwards is weird. Please do what the doctors say and stay off that foot if advised to! Do you have stitches?

mini-eventer

Visit site
Can I join the club? I'm sat at home with two broken wrists after trying a horse at the weekend! Hoping I don't need surgery. 😢

Hope you feel better soon keep your spirits up xxx

FionaM12

Visit site
Can I join the club? I'm sat at home with two broken wrists after trying a horse at the weekend! Hoping I don't need surgery. ��

Oh no, poor you. :( I hope you heal quickly too, and avoid surgery.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Can I join the club? I'm sat at home with two broken wrists after trying a horse at the weekend! Hoping I don't need surgery. ��

Youwch! That must be so painful and debilitating! Where in the country was this horse?

Hoof_Prints

Visit site
Hi, I dislocated ankle and broke tibia/fibula in December. Now sporting lots of metal work on both sides of leg (4 hours of surgery). Main advice is elevation is everything, especially if you are in plaster. Standard treatment is 6 weeks in plaster and bones will continue to heal for another 3 weeks after plaster off. You will probably be encouraged to put your foot to the floor for the last few weeks in plaster which will be a huge relief because crutches really ****** up your hands. My problem now is not the bones but all the soft tissue damage. NHS doctors and physios have been excellent, but due to walking around too much trying to get fitter I now have a very hard, wooden muscle on the outside of my calf, which will get worse if I continue. Plaster came off at the beginning of Feb, but have been given a stern talking to by the physios to take it easier or create more problems. Apparently I should only be on my feet for around an hour at a time before taking a break. The skin on my foot also goes red which is another sign of overdoing it. So my main message is do what the experts tell you, and don't push it for the sake of getting back on asap. Ask lots of questions - doctors/physios can be a bit hazy about what riding entails, especially if you are a competitive rider. Loosing the plaster was very emotional and quite scary, it improved when they stuck a tubigrip and sock back on, as it felt more 'normal'. If you are in pain then ring the bell - I found they tend to only give you pills if you ask, but they also kept saying there is no need for anyone to be in pain. Your emotions will probably be all over the place, mine are after having been told to carry on taking it easy. Certainly for my type of injury it will be around 12 months before everything has really settled. I was off work for 3 months and just gone back now, thankfully they offered a phased return or else I would have been totally out of my depth. Apologies if some of this sounds a bit blunt, but it is my experience - NHS staff wonderful but miracles such as complete healing take a little longer. I feel for you and everyone else in the same position. Take care.

I read your message earlier, but have only just felt awake enough to reply ! I came home last night (well actually, I left the hospital at 8 30 pm and went straight to see the horses !) but after trying to get up this morning I just couldn't find the energy , its surprising how quickly you can go downhill. Your injury sounds awful, I am quite lucky really with how bad the fall was to get away with just the breaks in the foot. I fully understand about the emotional side of it, it really hits you as it is a big shock and lifestyle change in a short space of time, I am glad you told me about overdoing it though as I am very likely to do that! but I will ensure I try my best not to, I only got up for half an hour today and it was too much. It sounds like you have really been through a lot and I hope you continue to make good progress, I am just realising now that breaking a bone is not a simple a sticking a plaster on and waiting for a few weeks.

Hoof_Prints

Visit site
Ouch, hope you feel better (without the help of morphine) soon. So did your foot literally burst open due to the crush injury? I've not seen that happen before. I find this sort of thing fascinating. If I had my time again I'd choose medicine I think.

Thank you,
Yes it did! When I took the boot off I was completely shocked to see blood pouring out, I couldn't get my head around it as I'd never heard of this kind of injury. As I said before, imagine squeezing a tomato... same thing . After surgery I was told the split wound went down to the joint so I had a joint flush. I had never had GA before and it was the most bizarre experience !

mynutmeg

Visit site
I read your message earlier, but have only just felt awake enough to reply ! I came home last night (well actually, I left the hospital at 8 30 pm and went straight to see the horses !) but after trying to get up this morning I just couldn't find the energy , its surprising how quickly you can go downhill. Your injury sounds awful, I am quite lucky really with how bad the fall was to get away with just the breaks in the foot. I fully understand about the emotional side of it, it really hits you as it is a big shock and lifestyle change in a short space of time, I am glad you told me about overdoing it though as I am very likely to do that! but I will ensure I try my best not to, I only got up for half an hour today and it was too much. It sounds like you have really been through a lot and I hope you continue to make good progress, I am just realising now that breaking a bone is not a simple a sticking a plaster on and waiting for a few weeks.

a bad break is very tiring - I slept the majority of the time for the first couple of weeks after breaking my ankles. When you get out the otehr side it doesn't seem as bad as it will jsut now

Hoof_Prints

Visit site

Please do join the club ! I am feeling a bit lonely over here with just my cat. That sounds so painful, what happened? if you don't mind me asking. I hope you feel much better soon too xxx *big wobbly one-legged hugs from fellow injured rider*

Yes I have stitches in, so I am told. I think they had to make an incision somewhere to release pressure as it was too swollen to stitch

Thanks again for all your messages, I really appreciate every single one when I am lying here feeling pretty ill !

_GG_

Visit site
Just thought I'd check in on how you're doing.

Mini eventer - WOW...not much at all you can do for yourself I bet :( Hope your wrists heal up soon.

Hoof Prints, Hope the boredom isn't too bad but glad to see you've been posting lots and not too knocked out from painkillers xx

Thorthepony

Visit site
Really hope you start to feel a bit better soon. Are you in plaster? Not a lot of fun at all. If you are on crutches get someone to go to a DIY store for you and get a length of foam that you use for insulating water pipes and then a roll of vet rap. Use the vetrap to hold the foam onto the hand holds of your crutches. It helps with the soreness on your hands a bit.

Get loads of rest and take care xx

NorthDevonTraveller

Visit site
Wish I had known about the insulation and vet wrap, really buggered up my hands. OP you will sleep and sleep for the first few weeks. When I went back for my first check after surgery they said 'your not ill - what are you doing in bed?'. Well I was exhausted, as you will be, plus the dog would have nicked any cushions from the sofa. The anaesthetic can knock you as well, I felt very dehydrated for months.

To cheer you up, I was at my NHS 'lower leg injury' gym session this afternoon and quizzed the physio about riding, or what else I could do, bearing in mind looking after one retired horse and a mad dog was considered to be 'overdoing it' at present, ie my leg turns to wood. Physio - riding doesn't put much stress on an ankle does it? Me - um yes if you ride properly. Physio - what about jumping. Me - well that is worse because you fold your leg up more - think of BMX biking. Physio - oh and get on and off from the right hand side. Me - don't think that will work as you do everything from the left. Physio - why? Me - tradition ;) Long suffering Physio - well could you try? Me - doubt it, I am left handed, and broke the ankle getting on!

It was then suggested I walk horse for half an hour each day for a week, then try trotting the next week etc, and keep building it up. At present horse is on full livery over an hours drive away so not very practical with full time job. I suggested I start cycling, Physio - well yes the exercise bike is fine, me - can I cycle around the roads, Physio - OK if you only do half an hour on the flat. Er, I live in the middle of hilly Devon. Long suffering Physio obviously has lots of people like me who think they should be instantly fixed and can't understand why it doesn't work like that. However, when you get to the physio stage keep asking questions, you will find out loads. Explain why it is so important to you to be able to move, and they will give you more specific stuff to do and pick up when you don't move straight etc.

Keep sleeping, good luck with the crutches and enjoy loads of TV you never normally get to watch.

Hoof_Prints

Visit site
Thanks for the tip on the foam and vetwrap, I overdid it yesterday as I went to the yard to see the horses, and went up the fields on my crutches ! I have been on box rest today :( had very sore hands so will sort that tomorrow. I'm glad the sleeping is normal, I was worried about that as I am normally a fidget and can't sit still, the painkillers seem to give you very, very vivid dreams too. I could swear I went hunting this afternoon, but turns out I was dreaming.

Haha I feel sorry for my poor physio already ! I know I will have to ease myself back in to it, but I can't help thinking I can just get on and compete the weekend after my cast comes off. I have a sort of half cast on at the moment, I have to wear for two weeks then I am having some air boot put on? no idea what it is though. I may have heard wrong though as one Dr said air boot, one said cast.

I have watched lots of TV but now I've got my sisters chemistry homework to do, I suppose that is in return for her looking after my horses ;) I am lucky I have a fantastic family putting in lots of work to help out with the horses. Thanks again for all your messages and I hope others with injuries/ recovering from injuries are getting on well. I have only just woken up and feeling a bit half asleep so if this doesn't make much sense, that is why !

mynutmeg

Visit site
Riding wise just ride without stirrups and use a mounting block that is high enough for you to just swing leg over and get off directly onto the mounting block. I was back on literally the day I had my last cast off and while still on crutches (very very safe cob) but once I started riding properly (a couple of months later once I was off the crutches so about 6 months post accident) I rode for a good 5/6 months without stirrups because they were jsut too sore. I still can't ride with normal stirrups and use flexible ones now - makes a big different.

Shady

Visit site
just saying hello again! :) i had to do nearly 3 weeks in hospital after my silly , massively inconvenient stroke thing, they don't let you out in France, you have to fight to be free!! they get paid if the beds are occupied so they make sure you have as many wires and tubes in you as possible, the food was amazing , dinner consisted of 4 courses and a coffee with a tiny choccy to go with it, how mad is that?!!, they made me special english tea too, in a bowl!! made me smile, they were really nice to me
when i finally escaped i kept wanting to do things with the horses but i was all thin and feeble so please take it easy OP and don't over do it, i know it's boring and frustrating but you have to ' suck it up ' and heal properly . xxxx. ps. i can't get the exploding tomato out of my head !!! ewwwwww . xxxx

NorthDevonTraveller

Visit site
Your half cast sounds promising. Friends who have had bunion ops have been fixed up like this, and progressed quite quickly, although of course their feet were less trashed than yours :( Air boot is right, it is like a big inflatable sock. You never know, you may manage to miss all the physio conversations and just be sent off and told to keep rolling your foot round on a tennis ball (but I do recommend proper physio - you would do it for the horse - so do it for yourself as well!)