So Now I am not Disabled enough !!

ISHmad

Visit site
Ebonyallen I can't believe what I am reading and really want to wish you well with your appeal. You are one gutsy lady and I know that I for one would never have handled things in the incredible way that you have. For you to be penalised for doing all you can to get on with your life is disgusting and I hope you win your case.

So many scroungers out there getting away with it, then someone who has a genuine need like you being treated this way is just plain wrong.

All the very best to you x

moana

Visit site
I apologise as I have read the first page then jumped to here. They do, as someone else said, like to turn down first applications, and you must appeal. get help from those who deal with claims daily, as much is down to wording. It seems to me that the genuinly sick are too ill to fill in the forms themselves, and far too many do not get the right help completing the long forms.
Good luck, you deserve to get your benefit back, and I am sure you will.

Tinsel Trouble

Grantham (please don't judge me! originally from S
Visit site
for OP im sorry you have to prove your disable, surely loosing any limb would allow you to recieve disability allowance

Not necessarily. I know one guy who has lost a leg- he is an MOD defense driver, professional chauffer and film extra (he regularly gets his false leg blown off and has been in films such as Saving Private Ryan- he gets blown up in the first beach scene and in band of brothers he was blown up 5 times as a US soldier and 7 times as a German)

appart from the strain of walking with a limp he has no other problems so does not receive DLA- but he does have a blue parking ticket. He gets parking tickets because he drives mustangs, hummers and has a lotus. The ticket inspectors don't think disabled people should drive those and assume he's lying!!

BUT I am on your side OP- you have multiple injuries and problems which effect your day to day life so keep fighting for what you can get!!

P.s You're a real inspiration... people could learn so much from your attitude to life!

ebonyallen

Visit site
OMG was not going to post before reading the last reply from crellow4. I had a real good friend here shortly after reading this thread, she works for DLA benefits office & holds a high positions in the organisation. She also knows I went through lots of problems with my Mum regarding DLA ( when she was alive)
So ok you are all going to absolutely hate me, but as was pointed out to me. & rendered me speechless.
Government benefits are paid to help people to get through day to day challenges hopefully a little easier than without them.
They are to provide basic care for those groups that really need it.

They are not there to provide someone with a "hobby" or "desire" no matter how therapuetic. This would include a horse which is a needy animal requiring daily care, & considerable expense.
I suppose what she means is: If on an almost daily basis you can commit to caring for any 3rd party, attending to it's needs & financially providing for its care then you are not in need of government financial support. Or more hard hitting. Tax Payers Money. Should this person be a Mother, looking after a child or another family member he/she would not be facing this situation.
This angle took me by surprise but I have to admit it got me tinking about whats right & wrong.
Please do not shoot the messenger. I have simply posted this as food for thought.

Not having a go, but the DLA money is not used to pay for my horse, they take all the Mobility money towards the adapted car that I have which to me is better than having the money as I am unable to get a bus or walk any distance, the Care money is used to put fuel in the car, and to pay the people who help me with the daily tasks that I am unalble to perform on my own, it goes towards paying for someone to clean and to shop for me. The stuff that I do with Ebony I have a great amount of support from the other people at the yard and friends otherwise I would not be able to look after her by myself.
I go without all sorts of things to be able to keep her and that is my choice, but to me she is my life what is left of it,take her away and I have nothing. I can see where people think why should I have a horse, I would so love to able to work again, but now I do not have that option. When I had just kidney failure I fought with my union to carry on working at sea, and I won and did take my machine with me to do my dialaysis at work, but when I lost my leg things got even harder, if it had been below the knee then I would still be able to work, but sadly its not.

Visit site
Not necessarily. I know one guy who has lost a leg- he is an MOD defense driver, professional chauffer and film extra (he regularly gets his false leg blown off and has been in films such as Saving Private Ryan- he gets blown up in the first beach scene and in band of brothers he was blown up 5 times as a US soldier and 7 times as a German)

appart from the strain of walking with a limp he has no other problems so does not receive DLA- but he does have a blue parking ticket. He gets parking tickets because he drives mustangs, hummers and has a lotus. The ticket inspectors don't think disabled people should drive those and assume he's lying!!

This made me laugh as where he went following his disability, what a resourceful guy. Living life to the full despite a life changing event

zoelouisem

Visit site
I may get shot down for this but my ex husband was army on there last tour of afghan they suffered terrible injuries including my ex although he didn't loose limbs 3 of his friends did loose legs one if these just below his bum and a lot of sight in one eye. It took a lot of rehab but he now works full time still in the army aswell as getting married and having a child recently. Another works full time and has also had a child whom he takes a active role ion bringing up.

Now I'm not at all saying the op should be out working full time or working at all, but it is possible. The benefit people don't know each case so this reviews are nessasary.

maree t

Visit site
A bit off topic,, my OH and I went to the job centre today for advice having been made redundant at xmas. He was advised to claim job seekers allowance and when they found out that I only work 12 hours they said I should claim it aswell !! They said we could claim this that and the other because we have kids. We went there to try and find work OH has never been out of work in his life before but we are getting by and wont be claiming anything. We wanted to know if he could have training or a grant towards it but we cant unless he signs on and claims jobseekers allowance .

abitodd

www.musicfordressage.net
They are not there to provide someone with a "hobby" or "desire" no matter how therapuetic. This would include a horse which is a needy animal requiring daily care, & considerable expense.

Many of us should not have horses. I certainly should not afford one.
But life is for living. Many of us struggle,those with disabilities struggle more.
The OP shows such strength and courage. She is truly inspiring. She deserves the best this country can give.
Wars have been fought for freedom and happiness. We are all entitiled to these things and I am happy knowing that my taxes are (sometimes:rolleyes:) going where they are needed.

Visit site
A bit off topic,, my OH and I went to the job centre today for advice having been made redundant at xmas. He was advised to claim job seekers allowance and when they found out that I only work 12 hours they said I should claim it aswell !! They said we could claim this that and the other because we have kids. We went there to try and find work OH has never been out of work in his life before but we are getting by and wont be claiming anything. We wanted to know if he could have training or a grant towards it but we cant unless he signs on and claims jobseekers allowance .

You should claim as a unit and if your Oh has been employed for more than 4 yrs you will get contribution based JSA, which last 6 months max and hopefully he will be no longer in need of. Its really important that he claims as otherwise there will be a gap in his National Insurance Contribution which will affect the end state pension. You both are admirable with your work ethic but a prime example of people not claiming their entitlement. The funding for grants or training is targetted especially at JSA level as a result of the recession there isnt that much money to go around and to try and get unemployment levels down, because if someone on JSA goes on a training course they do not count towards the unemployment statistics. As we all know statistics are like a lampost to a drunk .. good for leaning on when you are in government.

ebonyallen

Visit site
Thank you all so much for your support. Today I advised them that I wanted to appeal against their decision so the wheels are now in motion. Thank you to everyone who has offered different web sites to look at for help, have to say really have not heard of most of them, very kind of all thanks

Holly Hocks

Visit site
In one of my jobs I visit people in their homes to review their benefit. One case which sticks with me is a woman who got IS, DLAM and DLAC at high rate, and was therefore passported onto full HB and CTB. I asked whether she did any paid or self-employed work. She said that she didn't and couldn't work. I asked why she couldn't work and she said "Look at me - I'm too fat to work". So I asked if she had an illness which had made her that fat. She said she hadn't but she liked food and had eaten herself so fat that she had given herself joint problems etc so she couldnt' work. She said that she could only walk about 10 metres before getting seriously out of breath! Whose fault is that?? I asked whether she was trying to lose weight and she said that it was too difficult as she was too fat to exercise. I also would like to point out that she sat eating a packet of biscuits while I was there.
How can it be fair that someone who can't stop putting food in their mouth can be entitled to DLA at high rate, yet EbonyAllen has had it refused. Life is a load of bollox sometimes!

Spiritedly

Visit site
In one of my jobs I visit people in their homes to review their benefit. One case which sticks with me is a woman who got IS, DLAM and DLAC at high rate, and was therefore passported onto full HB and CTB. I asked whether she did any paid or self-employed work. She said that she didn't and couldn't work. I asked why she couldn't work and she said "Look at me - I'm too fat to work". So I asked if she had an illness which had made her that fat. She said she hadn't but she liked food and had eaten herself so fat that she had given herself joint problems etc so she couldnt' work. She said that she could only walk about 10 metres before getting seriously out of breath! Whose fault is that?? I asked whether she was trying to lose weight and she said that it was too difficult as she was too fat to exercise. I also would like to point out that she sat eating a packet of biscuits while I was there.
How can it be fair that someone who can't stop putting food in their mouth can be entitled to DLA at high rate, yet EbonyAllen has had it refused. Life is a load of bollox sometimes!

Where's a 'like' button when you need one!

Holly Hocks

Visit site
To the last couple of replies I shake my head at the madness. Now this will sound very hard, I make no apologies. Cut her bloody benefits. That way she wont be able to afford to sit stuffing her face. Sometimes you gotta be cruel to be kind.

Oh believe me, I wish I had the power - unfortunately I can only deal with HB and CTB fraud!! Maybe if they cut this woman's DLA (not Ebonyallen before anyone only reads this post!) she wouldn't have the money to buy so much bloody food!!

Lippyx

Essex... In my bubble, floating above reality!!
Visit site
Keep fighting! An ex of mine's mother was a DLA cheat and I was that close to telling the relevant people... Someone beat me to it! She wouldn't work due to a "bad back" sat at home all day feeling sorry for herself, but then would help a friend out with his dog caring business and got paid for it! My dad on the other hand has emphasema (sp - lung disease) and he has DLA. He also works full time, and tries so hard to live a normal life! Some days he can hardly breathe!

superted1989

Visit site
Hope it all works out for you Ebonyallen. My hubby has also been 'cured' by DLA recently, his 5 year entitlement runs out next month, so, had to do the renewal thing. His health had gone downhill a lot since last time but they now say he doesn't need help washing, getting in and out of bed, dressing etc, etc. So, from Feb 23rd that means I no longer have to do anything for him, hurrah, he can lie in bed all day, stinking!
My friend's mum had to go to a tribunal thingy to prove her disability, amputation above ankle on one leg, amputation above knee on the other leg and tunnel vision (diabetes related). They'd only given her a 2 year award previously, perhaps that's how long it takes for limbs to grow back? She got a lifetime award at tribunal and move up from middle rate to high rate care (backdated).
I'm sure your appeal will be fine, there is no way they can argue that your mobility is okay (unless you have grown another leg, lol) and you will get any missing money backdated. I'm sure any money they are saving by weeding out the cheats is being gobbled up in the amount it must cost to do appeal and tribunals

Wundahorse

Visit site
Thank you all so much for your support. Today I advised them that I wanted to appeal against their decision so the wheels are now in motion. Thank you to everyone who has offered different web sites to look at for help, have to say really have not heard of most of them, very kind of all thanks

It is crucial that you stress the nature and degree of your disability and that this is a severe and enduring problem which is unlikely to be alleviated by any surgical and medical interventions.Also ensure you have support to complete the DLA forms,as the questions asked are quite tricky to answer unless you are very articulate and can formulate a good argument to support your claim.At appeal have someone who understands your disabilities well to support you as the panel have agendas to decline DLA and will use any spurrious information to augment their decision.
I understand why the Government are asking for DLA reviews as so many people have historically abused this benefit.It is perhaps an irony that many disabled people do work and they derive a great deal of personal satisfaction from their achievements.However,DLA is not means tested and whether you work or not,if you fulfill the criteria,then you are entitled to claim.