So what has British Eventing done wrong?

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
I thought the KELSALL UA track was a lot more interesting and challenging than the BE events at Speetley, Aston le Walls and Norton Disney.

I know you want to embrace grassroots riders into BE and agree with you that this is the way to go. But the attitude of blaming competitors for failing to enter ‘proper’ events rather than expecting BE to make their events attractive and their entry processes logical and easy is really not going to help.

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
Do you realise how elitist you sound there, Rachel?

Perhaps writing in a hurry - but we've got lots of people who are quite happy to have a course of portables with no natural features or terrain and call it cross country. I'd say the same about some of the early season tracks that are so popular at A-le-W - it seems like people are deliberately avoiding riding at places that are testing proper xc riding skills and looking for a more straightforward course. Which, to me, isn't elitist, but does show a big divergence in what people want and need from a day out... And certainly isn't useful prep for anyone who does want to educate horses and prepare them for moving up.

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
I thought the KELSALL UA track was a lot more interesting and challenging than the BE events at Speetley, Aston le Walls and Norton Disney.

I know you want to embrace grassroots riders into BE and agree with you that this is the way to go. But the attitude of blaming competitors for failing to enter ‘proper’ events rather than expecting BE to make their events attractive and their entry processes logical and easy is really not going to help.

Are there full course pics of that track anywhere? Everything I saw made it look just like a slightly extended version of their summer grass arena eventing - pretty standard portables track with the portable brush going downhill. But I may be missing something?!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Perhaps writing in a hurry - but we've got lots of people who are quite happy to have a course of portables with no natural features or terrain and call it cross country. I'd say the same about some of the early season tracks that are so popular at A-le-W - it seems like people are deliberately avoiding riding at places that are testing proper xc riding skills and looking for a more straightforward course. Which, to me, isn't elitist, but does show a big divergence in what people want and need from a day out... And certainly isn't useful prep for anyone who does want to educate horses and prepare them for moving up.

If BE wants their money it has to cater for what the majority want, not what those who eventually want to get to Advanced need.

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
If BE wants their money it has to cater for what the majority want, not what those who eventually want to get to Advanced need.

But at what point do you have to say that what the majority want no longer aligns with the ethos of the sport?

Anyway for lots of people there is an appetite for tough xc - there were nearly 200 entries into the new 1* class at Blair this year, which was extremely testing. People with that kind of aim need appropriate events to prep at. That's at 105 level btw, so the top end of grassroots.

teapot

Visit site
But at what point do you have to say that what the majority want no longer aligns with the ethos of the sport?

Anyway for lots of people there is an appetite for tough xc - there were nearly 200 entries into the new 1* class at Blair this year, which was extremely testing. People with that kind of aim need appropriate events to prep at. That's at 105 level btw, so the top end of grassroots.

Is that an appetite for tough xc or an appetite for wearing tails and saying they've competed at an fei event on their social media? (being super cynical here!)

Yes there needs to be prep courses, but I presume qualification doesn't dictate which courses you go round to do so (which if so from my comfy chair seems a recipe for diaster). Which is also a point some of the pros have been making.

Last edited:

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Are there full course pics of that track anywhere? Everything I saw made it look just like a slightly extended version of their summer grass arena eventing - pretty standard portables track with the portable brush going downhill. But I may be missing something?!

I don’t have pics apart from the brush which may be portable but was also big and skinny for 90 and 100. And downhill which you can’t see really from the pic. The course was undulating with a few combinations and the course builder made good use of the terrain.

It’s not as challenging or interesting as - say - Somerford or Frickley - but more so that A le W. IMO anyway. It was a bit shorter but I believe that is temporary as they are re-siting the XC. Elands UA track is often harder than their BE one and just as long. And they are always full despite hard ground and multiple events that feel very samey each year.

Attachments

• E3DC4825-A16D-4D69-87B6-3BB32B04760D.jpg
    E3DC4825-A16D-4D69-87B6-3BB32B04760D.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 20

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
Is that an appetite for tough xc or an appetite for wearing tails and saying they've competed at an fei event on their social media? (big super cynical here!)
They mixed in a pony teams competition as well. Another U18 benefit ? so a few went from the SW which is a long old trip

teapot

Visit site
Reason I ask re ballot date is SoE is 12pm tomorrow, and only 130 entries.

ETS - has since doubled and then some, which is great, but still not enough I guess?

Last edited:

Bernster

Visit site
Seems odd to pull an event before entries close though, if that’s been happening, as maybe there will be a late surge. Otherwise, pull the entry date forward if you need to know rough numbers earlier.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I was sort of surprised that they hadn’t been able to time that the work /spending significant money started to after the ballot date but thought maybe BE control the ballot date?
SOE have put out an urgent call for entries this morning

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
I was sort of surprised that they hadn’t been able to time that the work /spending significant money started to after the ballot date but thought maybe BE control the ballot date?
SOE have put out an urgent call for entries this morning

which no one who isn’t already a member with a validated horse will be able to respond to….

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
I know a few people who tried to enter Stafford when they put the same sort of ‘decision to run’ post up. They couldn’t enter in time as it takes too long. It’s not the whole story of BE’s problems but it certainly does not help and is a massive own goal.

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
I know a few people who tried to enter Stafford when they put the same sort of ‘decision to run’ post up. They couldn’t enter in time as it takes too long. It’s not the whole story of BE’s problems but it certainly does not help and is a massive own goal.

SoE only starts at 100 so I doubt there's anyone wanting to enter that isn't already used to the system.

I personally register all my horses with BE the moment I've bought the horse - that way it is a job done and I don't have to think about it again. Buying season tickets or day passes is then just a very quick job.

Perhaps BE should be doing some off season marketing about making sure that you're registered and set up (and that the process is all free) should you ever be tempted to event in the future. Also a win for them if it means having more people on email contact lists.

teapot

Visit site
Seems odd to pull an event before entries close though, if that’s been happening, as maybe there will be a late surge. Otherwise, pull the entry date forward if you need to know rough numbers earlier.

I guess it’s partly having to make the decision because of how much prep work goes in. You don’t want to start spending the money to find only an extra five people enter, especially as SoE has been very soggy in previous years.

366 entries as I post, for an event that’s run over three days.

Last edited:

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Oh, I didn't know you could register a horse for free, I decided to register mine as, although he won't be competing this year, I quite like his name and it isn't already taken (I checked before naming him!).

So, I clicked...

To register a horse, I have to access my account. Hmmm, it is 2014 since I was a member so I don't know if I still have an account, but I click through to the relevant page to see if I can retrieve details. The options I have are "I'm already a member" which I'm not currently, or "I'm new to BE" which is also not true.

I have tried to reactivate my account by saying I have lost my password, using the email I used in 2014,m but nothing has arrived.

I will try harder another day as I am slightly short of time today!

Last edited:

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
Oh, I didn't know you could register a horse for free, I decided to register mine as, although he won't be competing this year, I quite like his name and it isn't already taken (I checked before naming him!).

So, I clicked...

To register a horse, I have to access my account. Hmmm, it is 2014 since I was a member so I don't know if I still have an account, but I click through to the relevant page to see if I can retrieve details. The options I have are "I'm already a member" which I'm not currently, or "I'm new to BE" which is also not true.

I have tried to reactivate my account by saying I have lost my password, using the email I used in 2014,m but nothing has arrived.

I will try harder another day as I am slightly short of time today!

I had this issue with BD which ended up taking months to sort out as I accidently created a duplicate membership which didn't account for the fact I had amassed quite a few nov and ele points the previous decade.

Definitely something to sort out when there is no time pressure rather than when you're in a panic trying to enter something with a deadline.

Dexter

Visit site
I had this issue with BD which ended up taking months to sort out as I accidently created a duplicate membership which didn't account for the fact I had amassed quite a few nov and ele points the previous decade.

Definitely something to sort out when there is no time pressure rather than when you're in a panic trying to enter something with a deadline.

Surely its something BE need to sort out? Theres more than one person who has complained about how diffcult it is, and they know of others who didnt enter as it was too much hassle. In this day and age a simple thing like registering and entering should be quick and easy

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
Surely its something BE need to sort out? Theres more than one person who has complained about how diffcult it is, and they know of others who didnt enter as it was too much hassle. In this day and age a simple thing like registering and entering should be quick and easy

If you read my post, you'd see I was talking about BD, not BE. In this case, I ploughed ahead and made a new account and messed it all up.

The issue is related to moving people from legacy non-GDPR compliant IT systems onto the new ones. If you didn't participate in the original move across it just takes a bit of communication to resolve it and sort out. @Red-1 will be able to quickly resolve by calling head office if she wants to.

FWIW, I've always found the BE entry system to be relatively painless - but I have been using it for many years.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
If you read my post, you'd see I was talking about BD, not BE. In this case, I ploughed ahead and made a new account and messed it all up.

The issue is related to moving people from legacy non-GDPR compliant IT systems onto the new ones. If you didn't participate in the original move across it just takes a bit of communication to resolve it and sort out. @Red-1 will be able to quickly resolve by calling head office if she wants to.

FWIW, I've always found the BE entry system to be relatively painless - but I have been using it for many years.
I think it will be a phone call as a password reset hasn't been sent. I haven't wanted to set up a new account as I will never do as well as I did before and would quite like to keep the record I had!